Please help.... 2002 Intrepid w/ computer problems (I Think) - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Please help.... 2002 Intrepid w/ computer problems (I Think)  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 2002 Intrepid
1/4: 0.000

ckruss is keeping the peace
I have a 2002 Dodge Intrepid, I was told it needed a new ECM computer. I bought a re-built computer, my VIN was imprinted in it, and now my car will not even stay running. It started, revved to about 1200 rpm and died. I have had many different mechanics look at my car and the don't know why it's not running with the new computer installed. What else do I need to do? PLEASE HELP. I cannot afford to continue to pay $$$ for people to tell me they don't know what's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Re: Please help.... 2002 Intrepid w/ computer problems (I Think)  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
Who programmed the controller? I did not know that they could be flashed aftermarket.
If the program was not flashed correctly it will never run, I work at a dealership and we flash controllers all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
NAJ
Just A Guy

The info is downloaded from Chrysler online into the scan tool and you have to run a replace PCM program and it is not just the PCM that needs to be reprogrammed, Trans controller, Skim Module(if equipped) Instrument cluster, BCM may all need to be reprogrammed because info is lost when the controller is replaced and on OBD2 all controllers communicate with each other, if that communication is not there you will have all type of problems.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
NAJ
Just A Guy

INSTALLATION
The PCM engine control strategy prevents reduced idle speeds until after the engine operates for 320 km (200 miles). If the PCM is replaced after 320 km (200 miles) of usage, update the mileage and vehicle identification number (VIN) in the new PCM. Use the DRBIIIŽ scan tool to change the millage and VIN in the PCM. If this step is not done a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) may be set and SKIM must be done or car will not start if it is a SKIM equipped car. If a SKIM car you must do a secret key transfer also. Refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Manual and the DRBIIIŽ scan tool.

Install PCM. Tighten bolt to 4 Nˇm (35 in. lbs.) torque (NGC MOUNTING).
Reposition wiring harness.
Connect the 4 PCM electrical connector (NGC CONNECTORS).
Reposition the washer bottle filler neck and install the bolt.
Connect negative battery cable and reprogram radio and clock.
Using DRBIIIŽ scan tool, program mileage and vehicle identification number (VIN) into PCM. Refer to the DRBIIIŽ scan tool and the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic

STANDARD PROCEDURE - PINION FACTOR PROCEDURE
The vehicle speed readings for the speedometer are taken from the output speed sensor. The PCM must be calibrated to the different combinations of equipment available. Pinion Factor allows the technician to set the Powertrain Control Module initial setting so that the speedometer readings will be correct.

This procedure must be performed if the Powertrain Control Module has been replaced. Failure to perform this procedure will result in an inoperative speedometer.

To properly read or reset the Pinion Factor, it is necessary to use a DRB scan tool. Perform the following steps with the DRB scan tool to read or reset the Pinion Factor:

Plug the DRB scan tool into the data link connector located under the instrument panel.
Select the Transmission menu.
Select the Miscellaneous menu.
Select Pinion Factor. Then follow the instructions on the DRB scan tool screen.

STANDARD PROCEDURE - PCM/SKIM PROGRAMMING
NOTE: Before replacing the PCM for a failed driver, control circuit or ground circuit, be sure to check the related component/circuit integrity for failures not detected due to a double fault in the circuit. Most PCM driver/control circuit failures are caused by internal component failures (i.e. relay and solenoids) and shorted circuits (i.e. pull-ups, drivers and switched circuits). These failures are difficult to detect when a double fault has occurred and only one DTC has set.

When a PCM (SBEC) and the SKIM are replaced at the same time perform the following steps in order:

Program the new PCM (SBEC)
Program the new SKIM
Replace all ignition keys and program them to the new SKIM.
PROGRAMMING THE PCM (SBEC)
The SKIS Secret Key is an ID code that is unique to each SKIM. This code is programmed and stored in the SKIM, PCM and transponder chip (ignition keys). When replacing the PCM it is necessary to program the secret key into the new PCM using the DRB III. Perform the following steps to program the secret key into the PCM.

Turn the ignition switch on (transmission in park/neutral).
Use the DRB III and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM then MISCELLANEOUS.
Select PCM REPLACED (GAS ENGINE).
Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN.
Select ENTER to update PCM VIN.
NOTE: If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour. To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the RUN position for one hour then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories are turned off. Also monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary).

Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the SKIM will send the secret key to the PCM).
Press Page Back to get to the Select System menu and select ENGINE, MISCELLANEOUS, and SRI MEMORY CHECK.
The DRB III will ask, Is odometer reading between XX and XX? Select the YES or NO button on the DRB III. If NO is selected, the DRB III will read, Enter odometer Reading<From I.P. odometer>. Enter the odometer reading from the Instrument Panel and press ENTER.
PROGRAMMING THE SKIM
Select PCM REPLACED (GAS ENGINE).
Program the vehicle four-digit PIN into SKIM.
Select COUNTRY CODE and enter the correct country.
NOTE: Be sure to enter the correct country code. If the incorrect country code is programmed into SKIM, the SKIM must be replaced.

Select YES to update VIN (the SKIM will learn the VIN from the PCM).
Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the PCM will send the secret key to the SKIM).
Program ignition keys to SKIM.
NOTE: If the PCM and the SKIM are replaced at the same time, all vehicle keys will need to be replaced and programmed to the new SKIM.

PROGRAMMING IGNITION KEYS TO THE SKIM
Select PROGRAM IGNITION KEY'S.
Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN.
NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned to each SKIM. Once a key is learned to a SKIM it (the key) cannot be transferred to another vehicle.

If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DRB III will display one of the following messages:

Programming Not Attempted - The DRB III attempts to read the programmed key status and there are no keys programmed into SKIM memory.

Programming Key Failed (Possible Used Key From Wrong Vehicle) - SKIM is unable to program key due to one of the following:

faulty ignition key transponder
ignition key is programmed to another vehicle.
8 Keys Already Learned, Programming Not Done - SKIM transponder ID memory is full.

Obtain ignition keys to be programmed from customer (8 keys maximum).
Using the DRB III, erase all ignition keys by selecting MISCELLANEOUS and ERASE ALL CURRENT IGN. KEYS.
Program all ignition keys.
Learned Key In Ignition - Ignition key transponder ID is currently programmed

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #5
NAJ
Just A Guy

I found a TSB, Chrysler no longer sells Pre-Programmed Controllers and here is the flash procedure.
I have been a Chrysler Tech for 13 years so I know nothing about aftermarket PCM's or Aftermarket Flash procedures but I am guessing that if the proper procedures were not followed or the program in your controller is not correct that is where your problem lies.
What was your original problem? What were the fault codes involved? What are the last 8 digits of your VIN so I can get the proper service info.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 03-13-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
TD New Guy

Thank you for all the information. The original code was 351 #1 ignition coil. No continunity to the #1 ignition coil. Last 8 of VIN are 2H165564. Thank you.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
NAJ
Just A Guy

May I ask who did the original diagnostics?
I assume you do not have the old controller.
Are there any new fault codes set? If so what are they?
You may need to connect a scanner and see if it will communicate, if it will not there is a communication problem and a "U" code will be set.
I do not know if an aftermarket scanner will retrieve these codes.
I have only worked with Chrysler scanners for the last 13 years.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
TD New Guy

The original diagnostic testing was done by garage in town. They hooked it up to the scanner that they have and found out that the code was 351. That is #1 ingnition coil, but the second part of that is the PCM or this case ECM. They told me to start with the cheaper fix first and the was the coil pack. Then it went into taking the upper pelentum off and chacing the wires around and finding out that there was nothing to the coil from the ECM. That is when I went to the local parts store where they said that they could get one for me. It was cheaper than the dealer. So that turned into that the parts store gave us an ECM from a salvage yard. I guess you can't do that. So I looked up thing on the internet and found a place that deals only in ECMs. IT is called goecm.com. That programmed it and idd the vin thing and sent it to me. I insalled it and it did nothing. To find out that the dealer had to put it back on a scanner and that my car does not come with a SKIM module. I call place that i got the ecm from and they said that they programmed it with the skim in it and that the ecm was not going to work cause it is looking gor something that is not there. So after all that I am back to square one and that is me with a broke car. No new codes just that my car shuts down if I try to start it because of the ecm that i got.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:01 AM   #9
NAJ
Just A Guy

It is apparent that your problem lies with the new PCM, either it is defective or not programmed properly.
Did you get a warranty with this PCM? Can it be returned?
The only other option would be to have your dealer "flash" this PCM, there are numerous flash's for your vehicle for driveability problems and that would bring this PCM up to Chrysler's latest software version for your vehicle. The only problem I see is they need your original PCM # to do this.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
TD New Guy

My Ride: PT Cruiser

sidibehtelecom is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
The info is downloaded from Chrysler online into the scan tool and you have to run a replace PCM program and it is not just the PCM that needs to be reprogrammed, Trans controller, Skim Module(if equipped) Instrument cluster, BCM may all need to be reprogrammed because info is lost when the controller is replaced and on OBD2 all controllers communicate with each other, if that communication is not there you will have all type of problems.
Hello NAJ?my name is Sidibeh am an automotive & electronic engineer and would like to know you more because here in africa chrisler cars are very hard to repair or reprogram am one of few who can do miracles and its still difficult.
my e mail is sidibehtelecom@hotmail.com or sidibehtelecom@yahoo.com tnx
Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
NAJ
Just A Guy

I am posting in here because others may be interested in this info.
What is it you would like to know?
All I know is what I have done, I am by no means an engineer, just a service tech and electrical happens to be my strong point but I still rely on Chrysler service info to diagnoise the newer vehicles.
When replacing the PCM on 2004(except Durango, 1st vehicle to use Can Bus) and older(OBD2) you load the latest flash into the DRB3(for your old controller #), connect to the vehicle and and follow the prompts on the screen for download flash so reprogramming depends on the vehicle. It gets a little more complex with the Can Bus systems (using the Star Scan), SKIM, Wireless Throttle and sometimes Trans Controller(depends on vehicle) need to be reprogrammed. Also you cannot reprogram the SKIM module with the Star Scan, you have to use Star Mobile and Dealer Connect, seems to be a Chrysler software problem.
Certain vehicles you need a seperate card for the DRB to access the controllers.
Crossfire, Stratus/Sebring Coupe, Prowler, Sprinter, not sure about Viper.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
TD New Guy

My Ride: PT Cruiser

sidibehtelecom is keeping the peace
well i dont wanna be out of subject but you seen to understand the chrilers very well.So the problem am having here is a Jeep Cherokee 2004 version CRD Limited.its was mis operate by a paintman at a garage and did not know how to release the key from the key ignation lock and just broke it and lost the transponder key head .Now the other the broken key blade was remove reproduce to a simple non transponder key.that where i was contacted by the owner vbecuse i knew since the transponder is no more ther ,the car will never start.So my question is very simple:i wanna ask weither if i buy the original uncut and no program key + the DRBIII scan ,it will be possible to reprogram the key?thank you ......
Old 06-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #13
NAJ
Just A Guy

For future info you could open a new thread or send a private message.
This thread was for an Intrepid(not a TD) so i do not think anyone would mind a Jeep question, besides, I have answered numerous Jeep questions, alot of these guys happen to own Jeeps. I just happen to work at a Jeep dealer.
To send a private message click on "User CP" and click "send new message" and fill in the user id you want to send it to, the subject and ask your question, and click submit.
To program the key you need the new key, the 4 digit pin and a DRB3 scan tool.
Buying a DRB is an expensive proposition to program a key.
So, yes, if you can get the DRB3, and the 4 digit pin you can program the key.
Not sure how it is where you are but now certified locksmiths are allowed to cut and program security keys.They have a universal key programer and access to the key codes for all makes/models.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
TD New Guy

My Ride: 2002 dodg intrepid
Engine: 3.5 L

intrepid1987 is keeping the peace
i also think i have a computer problem i am not sure though. my 2002 dodge intrepid 3.5l is having a problem it will start and run but as soon as it warms up it gets stuck in 2nd gear now i have changed the tranny fluid and filter with no change.i dont know what else to do but when it was put on the code reader it says it needs a new computer but i am not sure that will work i was wondering if you have ever seen this problem before.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Welcome to TurboDodge.com, intrepid1987
Stuck in 2nd gear is the transmission defaulting to "limp home" mode. There are a lot of things that can cause that. It's something with the transmission or it's controller. naJ might know how to pull codes from the trans controller without a scanner? It might not even be possible without a scanner. Without the error code, there are sooo many things that could be causing it.. There are pressure sense switches, input and output sensors that not only have to read correctly, but have to read in a predictable way to confirm the transmission is healthy. The trans cooler could be clogged and the trans overheating.. Without pulling codes, you'll never know where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.