How many miles to seat rings? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
How many miles to seat rings?  
Hybrid Booster

1/4: 0.000

william is keeping the peace
I have a 2.2TII engine with about 30 miles on it since a re-ring. It had less than 20k miles since a hone job, so there was still crosshatching in the cylinders, but it did not get a hone when the rings & pistons were replaced. I have good compression across all cylinders, but two are oiling (plugs 1 & 3 oily, oil in tailpipe). It smokes alot on decel, not so much under boost, and there doesn't seem to be any blow by. Car runs well.
Every other engine I have built did not require lengthy break-ins, and didn't smoke after the first couple miles. This was my first attempt at a real "half-assed" job, so I am not sure what to expect. Do I need to drive this another couple hundred miles? Any miracle tips to help those oil rings take a seat? My inclination is to pull the engine, but I'd hate to do that if it only needs to be driven some more. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Re: How many miles to seat rings?  
Naturally Aspirated

22dodge is traveling down a dark road
Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
I have a 2.2TII engine with about 30 miles on it since a re-ring. It had less than 20k miles since a hone job, so there was still crosshatching in the cylinders, but it did not get a hone when the rings & pistons were replaced. I have good compression across all cylinders, but two are oiling (plugs 1 & 3 oily, oil in tailpipe). It smokes alot on decel, not so much under boost, and there doesn't seem to be any blow by. Car runs well.
Every other engine I have built did not require lengthy break-ins, and didn't smoke after the first couple miles. This was my first attempt at a real "half-assed" job, so I am not sure what to expect. Do I need to drive this another couple hundred miles? Any miracle tips to help those oil rings take a seat? My inclination is to pull the engine, but I'd hate to do that if it only needs to be driven some more. Thanks...
need to do the job right. why do you think engine rebuilders have $20,000+ into just a honing machine.

even though you see crosshatching, it is imperative that the cylinder are deglazed.

additionally, is there any chance you improperly installed the rings or damaged the rings on installation? I've rebuilt a lot of engines over the years and sometimes I damage the oil ring, when I'm not paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 2.4 Turbo Spirit
Engine: 2.4 DOHC
Induct: Turbo

speeduphoria is keeping the peace
you should not have oiling probs if the cylinders and rings are in good shape, I had slight smoking upon startup and no oil consumption at all from the get go(new parts and machine work).

The rings should be seated in 30miles as long as you beat on it so they are forced to take the shape of the cylinder and there was a rough surface to wear them.

The other thing to look at is your PCV setup to see if thats working properly, and do a compression test as well
Old 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Boostaholic

My Ride: '88 Daytona w/t-tops
Engine: 1.65 TII-3 Cyl-lol

kermit is keeping the peace
Doing a so called "half assed" job can still produce good results. You should have deglazed the cylinders with a hone...especially since you can rent one from Autozone for free, but I'm not sure that's your problem.

Oil burning on decel is typically a sign of valve wear. How did the engine run before the rering. You may need new valve guides or valve seals.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Hybrid Booster

The engine ran very well before I melted a piston. The head was a recent rebuild, and the valve seals were still soft and in place. I actually own a hone, so I wouldn't have even needed to rent one, but the circumstances of the job did not allow for us to use it. I'm not sure this is a honing related problem either where it is only 2 of the 4.

I wasn't sure if a long seating period was typical of a no-hone re-ring, so I wanted to get some feedback from people who have done it. No question that when done correctly, there should be no such issues.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
Naturally Aspirated

Quote:
The engine ran very well before I melted a piston. The head was a recent rebuild, and the valve seals were still soft and in place. I actually own a hone, so I wouldn't have even needed to rent one, but the circumstances of the job did not allow for us to use it. I'm not sure this is a honing related problem either where it is only 2 of the 4.

I wasn't sure if a long seating period was typical of a no-hone re-ring, so I wanted to get some feedback from people who have done it. No question that when done correctly, there should be no such issues.
did you reuse old rings?

so your saying the absolutely no way you could have installed a compression ring upsidedown, messed up an oil ring on assembly, had the expander overlap accidently, lined up the gaps, or made any other possible human error on assembly you are definitely the best mechanic out there.. except you didn't do an absolute necessity, deglazing the cylinders.

when I re-ring and engine (or rebuild), my rings seat immediately. even moly rings. ring sealing has a lot do do with type of ring material and surface finish. I use a Van Norman hone, followed by a bead hone then a Platteau brush to achieve the correct finish.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #7
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dodge View Post
did you reuse old rings?

so your saying the absolutely no way you could have installed a compression ring upsidedown, messed up an oil ring on assembly, had the expander overlap accidently, lined up the gaps, or made any other possible human error on assembly you are definitely the best mechanic out there.. except you didn't do an absolute necessity, deglazing the cylinders.

when I re-ring and engine (or rebuild), my rings seat immediately. even moly rings. ring sealing has a lot do do with type of ring material and surface finish. I use a Van Norman hone, followed by a bead hone then a Platteau brush to achieve the correct finish.
You may have misunderstood me. I think it is MORE likely an assembly error or damage, rather than the honing. If it was related to honing I would expect to see varying compression numbers, and oiling more consistently over all 4 cylinders. The fact that two cylinders are oiling heavily, and two not at all lends itself to ring damage or assembly error. Oh, yes, used rings of course; but they were the lowest mile rings I had in the garage!

I suppose I would be the best mechanic out there had that been by chosen vocation, but alas, I would only qualify as the best "untrained, amateur engine assembler".
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Naturally Aspirated

no misunderstanding, you said in the end of post "No question that when done correctly, there should be no such issues."

your problem lies in everything you told us. used rings, no honing, plus there's always the possiblilty of assembly error, like upside down compression ring
Old 05-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22dodge View Post
no misunderstanding, you said in the end of post "No question that when done correctly, there should be no such issues."

your problem lies in everything you told us. used rings, no honing, plus there's always the possiblilty of assembly error, like upside down compression ring
There is just *no* joy in this place.
:)
Old 05-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 2.4 Turbo Spirit
Engine: 2.4 DOHC

speeduphoria is keeping the peace
re using old rings is most likely your problem
Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeduphoria View Post
re using old rings is most likely your problem
The pistons & rings had less than 2 hours on them, but after one stroke, used is used. I know lots of folks have done similar re-ring jobs, I was hoping to hear from one of them whether their experiences were similar.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Naturally Aspirated

allmotor is keeping the peace
Quote:
The pistons & rings had less than 2 hours on them, but after one stroke, used is used. I know lots of folks have done similar re-ring jobs, I was hoping to hear from one of them whether their experiences were similar.
i did it on a 2300 pinto motor but i deglazed the cyl walls and used some krokus cloth on the rings to deglaze them to i also made sure the rings went on the right way so i didnt mix up top vs 2nd comp ring double checked gap location and oil rings were rite on the expanders motor ran great made power used no oil or smoked and had even pressure at 210 psi
Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
Hybrid Booster

ol"blue is keeping the peace
I'm curious of a few things. How many & which cylinders had the melted pistons? Did you replace all, or just the bad pistons? Any chance you were given difference size pistons? Did you check the ring end-gaps. Did you replace the head gasket? What does the compression read now?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #14
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 1992 Dodge Daytona
Engine: 2.5l I-4 super 60

phantomrt is keeping our cars running
There are too many variables for me to sit here at the computer and guess what could be wrong, but it really does sound like a piston ring issue. I'm guessing the oil rings aren't scraping the oil back down the cylinder. Another thing to consider is how out-of-round were those cylinders? A round piston ring in an oval hole..??? ya never know until its checked.

I've had good luck with marking the position of piston ring gaps, removing/swapping out a piston, and re-using the old rings so that the gap is exactly where it was before. So far, never had a problem. No glaze breaking or anything and it worked perfectly. A couple of the engines I've gone through had some very questionable cylinder walls--pretty beat up actually, and they ran like a million bucks with just a glaze break job and new rings. Even the cheapest person on this forum probably wouldn't have gone with those cylinder walls, but I did it for personal education. It worked awesomely. No abnormal blow-by, great compression, no oil consumption, and lasted me 15,000 miles until I sold it. And I beat the snot out of that thing.

Not good to make this a habit, but as long as the rings are installed correctly, things work well.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
Hybrid Booster

It was only piston #1 that melted. It was down about 30 psi on a compression test. I replaced the pistons and rings as a set in all 4 cylinders (new HG as well), they had been pulled from an engine that had been run for an hour or so. I don't know why they were pulled, as it wasn't my engine. The whole thing was only meant to be a temporary fix, but I started to wonder if they might seat after a few more miles and I could run out the next few months as-is until the new engine is finished. No harm in trying I suppose, the black flies are getting bad in the neighbourhood anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.