Turbo Dodge Forums banner

ECU swap!!!!

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  EvilcowRoland 
#1 ·
will an aftermarket stage two computer out of a 1986 shelby charger match up with the wiring harness on a 1988 shelby CSX-T????

#5 ·
I would offer that if you take the turbo off of the '88, and rework the exhaust, there is a chance you can run your '92 NA motor with the original '88 computer & '88 intake+injectors. No turbo power--No Boost--but the engine will operate from vacuum to 0-psi properly.

Another problem is that the '92 NA is probably a 2.5, not a 2.2, and there are differences in the computers for that circumstance. Some will say the engine will run acceptably with the wrong 2.2-2.5 computer to the wrong 2.2-2.5 engine, but I have no experience with this.

Is the '88 a VNT turbo or TRADITIONAL turbo? If it is a traditional turbo, you can probably get a correct turbo computer for the size of the new motor(again, No turbo power--No Boost--but the engine will operate from vacuum to 0-psi properly), if it is a VNT there are more problems because the VNT has different vacuum/boost solenoids & a couple of other VNT specific issues that are HARD WIRED into the wiring harness and may require an under hood wire change out to traditional '88 turbo wiring.

If you want to run the turbo, then you will need a turbo spec engine or need to replace the pistons & rods to turbo spec parts.-then you still have the VNT & 2.2-2.5 questions if it is a VNT originally, is it a VNT or not?.

Good Luck.

#6 ·
not vnt.... I was told from my cousin I can use the turbo 1 I have on the motor I jus got from the junk yard.. me n my dad r gonna b changing all the seals n everything.. but my cousin also said I would need to get better rods and pistons if I were to get the bigger injector and bigger turbo set up he had, on a different motor he had before he gave me the the car with a different 2.5 in it. he jus said I cant use more than 7lbs with what I got....

#7 ·
To do the swap there is a little more work yet. You will have to swap out Pistons and rods to use a set of turbo 2.5l instead of the NA pistons. If the motor came from an acclaim then it would be a 2.5 instead of a 2.2. The 2.2 NA was only offered in the shadow/sundance in 92.

Once you have the Pistons figured out, you will need to put an oil drain back for the turbo. Either put it to the oil pan of in the. Lock where it was originally. Either way you will need to put one on.

From there, your engine is good for a turbo. You computer can then be swapped with an 89 2.5l turbo computer (fairly common) and grab a set of t2 or 2.5l turbo injectors.

Once all of those are figured out, you will have successfully swapped the car from the old 2.2 to a 2.5. You can use the old turbo, head, and intake with no issues then.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum

The 1986 (LM+PM), 1988 (SMEC) and 1992 (SBEC) all use completely different wiring/ecu systems, and an under taking to convert between each other... lots of time and good soldering and wiring skills.

I'm a little unclear what you are trying to do?

The car your working on is a 1988 CSX-T, motor swap because it's blown? or missing? Is the 88 electronics still complete?

The motor you want to put in is out of a 92' NA?

Do you absolutely plan to (re)convert to turbo in the future?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.