Overheating problems.How Do I hook up the Heater control valve. - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Question Overheating problems.How Do I hook up the Heater control valve.  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1989 daytona shelby
Engine: 2.5l
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

mattscharger is keeping the peace
I have an overheating problem.I am not leaking any water/antifreeze though.I had the radiator flushed and I replaced every single radiator/heater hose in the engine bay. I also replaced the thermostat. If I let the car warm up to operating temp it shoots straight up almost to hot and then if I pull up on the lever on my radiator cap it goes back down and will operate at normal temperature until I let it sit for about an hour or so then I have to do the same thing. There is no oil in the water or vice versa. When I did the clutch on my car I forgot to snap a pic of my heater control valve so When I put the car all back together I kinda guessed where every hose went. Does anyone have a diagram of how its supposed to be hooked up? or Maybe even a PICTURE of their heater control valve? It's an 89 daytona shelby turbo II so I need a pic of one 87 or up i think. oh another thing- If I run the car without the radiator cap on and it hits operating temp then it shoots water up all over my engine like old faithful! which makes me believe I have something hooked up wrong because none of my other vehicles do that. I'll take a pic of how I have it hooked up tomorrow if the weather is decent. THANKS GUYS!!!

p.s. I didnt replace the radiator cap but all was well before I did my clutch. Could it be the cap???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Re: Overheating problems.How Do I hook up the Heater control valve.  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
Sounds more like you have air in the system.
When the engine is cold remove the radiator cap and the hex plug(5/16" hex) in the head behind the thermostat housing.
Slowly fill the radiator until the coolant level stays level with the top of the opening in the head.
Reinstall the hex plug and fill the radiator and overflow bottle.

You will need a good hex bit socket and ratchet to remove the plug.

I will look in my FSM for a pic of the heater control valve and the hose routing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
NAJ
Just A Guy

Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Garrett Booster

Thanks NAJ for the tips and that diagram is AWESOME however I have one of the heads that does not have the hex head behind the thermostat. I dont know if you can see it in this pic but I dont have one. I have another head that does but this one for some reason just doesnt... I have gotten all the air out of the system before by leaving the radiator cap off and bleeding it that way but it keeps on doing this crap. Idk
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Garrett Booster

I just looked at my hcv and according to that diagram I hooked up the hoses correctly so I really dont know what to do.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 92 Iroc R/T Red
Engine: TIII

charger R/T is keeping our cars running
the heater hoses are the bypass on these cars there must be flow through them while warming up. if there is no flow it will overheat. could be violant too.

by chance is the thermostat new and not installed backwards.

you can bleed the air out by removing the coolant sensor since you don't have the plug
Tim
Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
NAJ
Just A Guy

Looking at the pic I am "assuming" it was put together properly so there is no issues with the head sealing.
If you have not already done so you can drill a 1/16" bleed hole in the T-Stat flange and install the T-Stat so the hole is at the 12 o'clock position.
This will accomplish two things.
1)Allow the system to bleed itself
2)Lesson thermal shock to the head when the T-Stat opens.
Also be sure you have the proper water pump installed.
Not sure what year they changed but the older pumps flowed in the opposite direction.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 01-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
Boostaholic

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z
Engine: TII

6daytonas is keeping the peace
Without the hex head, you can also jack the car up in the front or park on an uphill incline. With the rad cap off, idle the car with defroster on max until coolant almost starts to drip over the filler neck. If there is air in the waterbox, you should see it bubble out. Once the coolant level reached the lip of the filler neck, replace rad cap.

I drain my radiators and freshen my coolant every 20K miles and never have any temp spikes after refill using this method.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
Garrett Booster

The thermostat is installed correctly I put it in just look the previous one that always worked. I did basically everything by the book. I'm definitely gonna try both of those methods if bleeding it again doesnt work. thanks guys. if this doesnt work then I'm absolutely stumped.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #10
Garrett Booster

Alright I ran some radiator flush in the car ,installed a new thermostat and gasket and bled the system like you guys said and IT WORKED! awesome thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
heater, heater control valve, hoses, overheating, radiator, radiator cap, thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.