Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Sparatic Shifting - Please help!

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  The Pope 
#1 ·
89 Caravan T1 Auto is starting out in 2nd when in drive and if I start out in 1st and then shift to 2nd it shifts at around 5500. Rarely in D it shifts fine but normally starts in 2nd and shifts at high RPM. Is this something simple possibly?

Possibly torque converter or speed sensor? Solenoids need to be cleaned? I am stumped. No codes,

#3 ·
Super common "my converter bearing is dying and blowing metal shavings into my trans" problem. I am talking to a custom converter guy here local into dealing with this cheap, like $80.

For you though your governor is full of metal shavings sad to say. Your throttle pressure cable and other adjustments aren't the problem.

The fix to start, you need an inline filter with a built in magnet. I just found one on the cheap today and posted it up.http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f22/358910-got-love.html

Just need to find out which direction the fluid is going out to the cooler and then hook this inline for no more than 1,000 miles. Then put in a new one.

Second, buy the Sonnax govenor spring kit and use the V6 spring. You have to pull the valve body and then pull the govoner out. Then clean it so everything moves freely with WD40. Then add the V6 spring and put it back in. The Valve body is full of crud and you need to clean it with carb cleaner and lube it with WD40 till everything in it is moving freely. Now is a good time to add the superior shift kit.

The inline filter and the shift kit will help the trans to live longer at this point. But you need to take care of this before you out right break it. The spring kit and the in line filter are going to work wonders, the V6 spring raises the shift points just a hair and makes the trans feel more responsive.

Because of there metal eating converter bearings every single 3 speed auto out there should have this spring kit and inline filter added regardless of whether or not there shifting right now.

#4 ·
Damn thing was shifting fine a week ago and now that i am driving it daily something has to come up. Love old cars that need one thing after another.
I just rebuilt the bottom end bearings and gaskets. Maybe i didn't put enough oil in the torque converter?

#5 ·
Love old cars that need one thing after another.
Unless you buy a new car and trade it in every 3 years that is the case with all cars and new is no gaurantee that it will not be at the dealer every month for something.

My car is 21 years old and I bought her new and she has been my only car and DD for the last 14 years.

#6 ·
did you add a new converter without filling it? your supposed to add oil to it like you half fill an oil filter when adding one. Otherwise you dry run the converter before the oil pumps in it.

These cars have a lame converter design. the 2.5 turbo has way too much torque so it eats the run of the mill converter design fast. They need mods like Cummins powered trucks lol. Add the filter, clean the stuff our and add the spring kit and you'll no doubt be ok for a while.

#9 ·
it is seen it before, jut isn't an easy one lol. I've done it a few times. Getting the right little open end wrench on the govenor is tough, then the new bolt they give you has a different size. If the govenor falls it falls in your face, not up into the trans lost which is good. The valve body is the biggest pain. Taking it apart and cleaning it and working the plungers loose with WD40 sucks, I dread it. So that far it is good to add the shift kit. Also Chad Kilbacks mod is nice to add then too, drilling the hole for full forward gear pressure.

After the trans gets some love add a T2 Garret and SS lines to the 2.5, then 2.5" exhaust and a FWDperformance.com stage 2 computer. tons of fun lol

#10 ·
Ok. Have a link to the tranny mods that use to be posted everywhere?

Thanks for the replies! Would a RMVB replace some of this crap?

PM me with any links I should see. I remember there was way more info out there a couple years ago before I OWNED my van.

#11 ·
look in the trans section, you have to dig a little there old threads now. I'll look for the right threads real quik, but you should be able to get these parts at a local auto trans rebuild supplier

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.