Turbo Dodge Forums banner

help! pt cruiser gt hard shifting 5speed

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  04PTGT 
#1 ·
ok then 2004 pt cruiser gt 5 speed started getting hard to down shift even when double clutching and is now having serious trouble shifting up while rpms are high. i changed the fluid and shift cable bushings with bugger bushings. and see no serious leaks. a few class 1 leaks from what i believe to be trans oil cooler lines. peddle feels normal. and from what i can tell there are no bends in the shift linkage. i did notice that even b4 the shift trouble it whines in 3rd and and just b4 the shifting problem while taking off from a stop i need to give it more gas to keep the car from stalling or shaking. any guess at the issue b4 i go and spend $150 on a transmission shop to tell me they "think" this and that "may" be the problem but we wont know until we can work on it.

#3 ·
sounds like the POS mod clutch is dragging. This won't let the gears change and causes the shudder etc. Good time to add a OBX Posi and a Spec clutch! The PT uses the old style Neon trans BTW.

Stupid mod clutches scare me to death. The idea of having an auto trans flex plate between the flywheel and crank gives me chills. Don't be afraid of an aluminum flywheel either if you can swing it. I stuck an aluminum flywheel and Spec stage 3 six puck in my brothers SRT 4, wonderful

#4 ·
thanks pope. once again u have all the answers....lol. i dont plan on keeping the pt much more than another year or so. so my next question is i found a stage 2 bahnhof clutch for less than oem..... what are your thoughts on that replacement? and what is OBX posi? im manual trans ignorant lol

#5 ·
don't get cheap with the clutch, a less than OEM clutch may just explode.

OBX makes a helical gear limited slip differental for the Neon T350 trans.

I love my PT, however I'd love it less with a 5 speed. I may never sell it unless my kids wreck it lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.