crank gear removal (making sure i'm not being dumb) - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Re: crank gear removal (making sure i'm not being dumb)  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 Shelby Lemon
Engine: An odd mix of 2.2 and 2.5 engines.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

cegan09 is keeping the peace
The crank is currently sitting with a gear puller tensioned on it. I put a smaller hex cap screw in the hole to bottom out on the crank (cap head grabs the gear puller post and keeps it from walking around). And it's been tightened as far as my electric impact gun will go. Somehow the gear didn't break this time. It was hit with a hammer and nothing, so I let it sit overnight and will attack it again tonight.

and i'm not moronic enough to thread the normal crank gear bolt all the way in and try pushing on that. It was threaded in with a 1/4in gap between the top of the bolt and the gear so that the gear had room to move off the crank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
I used a harmonic balancer type puller on mine. I backed the stock nut off a few turns, then I used the puller (make sure you get 3 bolts threaded into the gear as deep as possible to ensure you get a good hold of the gear). Worked no problem for me. With a more stubborn gear I would try an inpact gun on the puller, use heat (torch) to warm up the gear and perhaps some taps with a hammer to get it to move.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
this honestly shouldn't be this hard to get off the crank, i would put it back where it goes and use emery cloth on the crank nub and lube it down with PB blaster and try again, if no go use O&A along with the puller
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
this honestly shouldn't be this hard to get off the crank
that's what i've been cursing at myself as i struggle and fail.

and forget PB blaster, the stuff is useless. I've given the crank a good soaking in Kroil, which is like magic in a bottle.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Garrett Booster

So i spent 40 minutes tonight hitting it with a torch until the gear puller arms (and part of the gear) were red hot, then hitting the gear puller with an impact gun. I think i got maybe 5 turns out of the gear puller before once again the gear itself broke. At this point i'm just going to cut the damn gear.....

Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #21
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Jaw puller isn't the correct tool to use, now you know why.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #22
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Jaw puller isn't the correct tool to use, now you know why.
to be honest i'm getting slightly irritated with responses like this. Explain why it's the wrong tool. Because from the diagram in the official Chrysler manual, it should be the perfect tool if you don't have access to a welder to make one similar to their official tool. In fact, this was working, the gear did move, even if it was just a tiny amount. It's just that the gear is stuck enough that the force required to move it is enough to crack the cast gear.

Everyone keeps saying "it's not what you think", but it is. You pull on the gear, and press in the center. That is what i've been doing. So if there really is some huge secret, just share it.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #23
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
You're not the first one to use a jaw type puller and broke the sprocket. It is the wrong tool to use, the broken sprocket says it all. Load are not evenly spread on the sprocket, that is why it broke.

Quote:
So if there really is some huge secret, just share it.
I already have, but you were stuck doing what you wanted to do. Everyone with the correct type of puller have successfully pull the sprocket, as far as I know.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f7/...ml#post1479223
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...ller-easy.html
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #24
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
You're not the first one to use a jaw type puller and broke the sprocket. It is the wrong tool to use, the broken sprocket says it all. Load are not evenly spread on the sprocket, that is why it broke.

I already have, but you were stuck doing what you wanted to do. Everyone with the correct type of puller have successfully pull the sprocket, as far as I know.
I've already said i tried the "official way". 5 bolts through a pulley into the gear, center bolt with a nut under the pulley. Nut being held with a wrench and blasting the center bolt with an impact gun (i don't have a welder currently). In fact this was the first thing i tried following the many threads here showing variations on the same idea. I've used that and the store bought puller, and the store bought puller was more effective.

I tried that version too. all i managed to do was bend the fan spacer to hell and strip the center when the nut started spinning.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #25
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
Well you're getting there. I know how frustrating it can be. I would still go with a harmonic balancer puller myself and keep heating that sprocket with a torch and slowly but surely it will come off (it's already moving so that's good). This is the story of TD's - plenty of frustrations, but in the end worth it when it all comes together and works (until something else breaks and more frustrations) :-)
Old 11-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #26
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
I use a body hammer like the machine shop. Get a 1/4" thick plate and drill 3 holes, 2 for the pulley and the one in the middle for older and 3 holes for the 5 bolt pulley. Then the slide hammer in the middle and they come off with a few smacks
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
Garrett Booster

So last night i revisited the slide hammer dent puller approach as well as the DIY puller from a pulley approach. Nothing. The gear hasn't moved. Even with it glowing red hot, and being hit with things, and soaking in penetrating fluid, nothing. I'm done. It's coming off with a 4" cut-off wheel. someone has kindly answered my request to buy a new one, and since this one is already broken i just don't care about it anymore. I will punish this gear for defying me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.