crank gear removal (making sure i'm not being dumb) - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
crank gear removal (making sure i'm not being dumb)  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 Shelby Lemon
Engine: An odd mix of 2.2 and 2.5 engines.
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

cegan09 is keeping the peace
I"m trying to remove the crank gear on an '88 engine. I've built the puller tool from the DIY section, but it's refusing to budge. I just want to make sure i'm not being stupid with this. puller should screw into the gear, then push against the threaded section inside it which i assume is the end of the crank. Tighten the center bolt which should be pushing against that inner section and that should pull the gear off.

Correct?

I can't get it to move at all and it's pissing me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Re: crank gear removal (making sure i'm not being dumb)  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 89 Chrysler Lebaron
Engine: 2.5 Turbo

55 Glasstop is keeping the peace
I just went through pulling that gear I cut a bolt that fit inside the crankshaft ya know the hole where the bolt that holds the pulley on went. Then hooked up the puller to the gear and pressed on the bolt inside the crankshaft . I hope I am being clear. What you see and you think you need to push on is not what you need to push on you must push the bolt in the cenet do not let the puller push on anything but the bolt you put in in the crankshaft hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Boostaholic

My Ride: 85 chyslerlaserturbo

spudwiser67 is keeping the peace
yes you need to put the bolt back in the crankshaft. if it is stuck try putting some pb blaster or some kind of lube. then start putting pressure on the gear with your puller if it still will not come of you can try tapping it with a hamer but dont hit it to hard. the vibration should help brake it loose, If not just keep spraying it down with lube. you may need to put a fare bit more pressure on the puller than you think if it realy stuck good.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Garrett Booster

Ok, i'm pleading for some help again. I'm doing exactly as described. bolt in where it normally goes, but not tight enough to prevent the gear from moving (at least a 1/4inch gap), and my gear puller actually broke part of the crank gear. The gear never even budged. I'm not concerned with this gear since the crank is junk, but i have another engine with a gear just as stuck and i need to get that one off in one piece.

I've made every kind of gear puller i've seen here, as well as used off the shelf ones, and nothing will get the gear to come off.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Helping when I can

My Ride: 85SC/86SC/91RT/73SE
Engine: 2.2/2.2/2.2/6.6

Screamin4banger is keeping the peace
Harbor fright sells a puller kit for $12.99 - That's the one I used last time I needed to pull a crank sprocket.

EDIT: I guess its $17.99 nowadays... But it's on sale for $12.99 right now

http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piec...set-37824.html
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin4banger View Post
Harbor fright sells a puller kit for $12.99 - That's the one I used last time I needed to pull a crank sprocket.

EDIT: I guess its $17.99 nowadays... But it's on sale for $12.99 right now

46 Piece Bolt Puller Set
That won't work with a 5 bolt pattern crank.

Get a stock pulley, weld a nut in the middle, use 3 intake bolts and you got a puller.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Garrett Booster

I tried essentially that (self made with the pulley) as well as one of these

the gear will not move. i put so much pressure on the one in that picture it actually broke a piece of the gear off.

I've even tried attaching a dent puller to the pulley gear puller, and tried shocking it off that way, nothing.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Boostaholic

My Ride: '85 Dodge Daytona Z
Engine: 2.2L TI

Tbone is keeping the peace
I also had an extremely stuck on crank gear. I used a lot of heat from a map torch on the gear. I was able to move the gear about 1/8" and then I had to re-heat the gear. I used a pulley I got from advance auto. Nothing special. The heat was the only way the gear was going to move. I thought the gear would break it was on there so bad.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
TD New Guy

NO do not screw into the crank shaft put a rod or a bolt in the hole a loose fit not screwed in then put the puller on a push against the bolt . Like I said what you and I think is the correct way is not just use the bolt in the center to push on it should just slide in the hole I hope I am clear
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Glasstop View Post
NO do not screw into the crank shaft put a rod or a bolt in the hole a loose fit not screwed in then put the puller on a push against the bolt . Like I said what you and I think is the correct way is not just use the bolt in the center to push on it should just slide in the hole I hope I am clear
Explain this to me, because it shouldn't matter. The threads on the inside should only be on the crank, so screwing a bolt partially into the threads should act exactly the same as dropping a smaller bolt through to the bottom. Looking inside the hole i can clearly see where the gear stops and the crank begins, with the threads deeper than that.

And like i said, this thing is stuck. I took the pulley crank puller idea posted above, and attached a dent puller to the center where you'd normally have the bolt pushing into the crank. So the only thing attached to the gear/crank were the 5 bolts into the gear, then tried to use the dent puller to shock the gear into moving. Nothing. Heated the crap out of it with map gas, nothing. I'm getting ready to cut/break the gear off and just buy a new one.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
This is the official puller. I'd say stop using the dent puller on it and weld a nut with fine thread for more pulling power.

CHRYSLER CRANKSHAFT PULLEY R&R TOOL #92100

Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
I have a 4-bolt gear, so I dont know if this will work with a 5-bolt, but I used a steering wheel puller, worked amazingly with the air impact.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
TD New Guy

It does matter look at the puller someone posted it does not thread into the crank shaft it pushes against it put a spacer in the hole and push against the spacer not the end of the crankshaft do not do what you think is right because its wrong crazy as it seems I fought with this thing for a long time with heat and everything just put something in the hole and push against it
Old 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Glasstop View Post
It does matter look at the puller someone posted it does not thread into the crank shaft it pushes against it put a spacer in the hole and push against the spacer not the end of the crankshaft do not do what you think is right because its wrong crazy as it seems I fought with this thing for a long time with heat and everything just put something in the hole and push against it
The spacer just sits on the top of the area where the threads start.

I've tried every possible combination. Bolt through all the way to the bottom of the hole (not threaded), Threaded in bolt, Socket to mimic that spacer and press on the top of the threaded area, nothing makes it budge.

The dent puller should have worked. Quick impacts work much better than constant pressure on very stuck things. It's why an impact gun works better on stuck bolts and just a long breaker bar.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 84 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.2 T2 turob 89 smec
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

t1turbo is keeping the peace
I have never been able to remove the pulley without hitting it... use a hammer and tap it at every angle you can while your bolt style pulley is in place...Do not thread the actual pulley bolt in lol... While your turning the long bolt on the puller to get the sprocket off it is turn that the sprocket bolt tighter onto the crank! lol hammer hammer hammer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.