Clutch Cable Question - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Re: Clutch Cable Question  
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
pa ya , I remember that ^

the same discussion has been had here on site about the L body ones too - same deal applies to them too although the parts are still L body specific

knowing this , I sold a clutch cable to a guy in Quebec - I also sent along the bracket - he pm'ed me back , so happy I'd sent the bracket too 'cause he wouldn't have got the cable to fit his car without it

if buying a used cable always always get the bracket (and the spare clip) too 'cause there's gonna be a 50-50 chance you'll wish ya did

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
pa ya , I remember that ^
I wanted to link that old thread, but I couldn't find it.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
TD New Guy

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.2 TII

whitebb is keeping the peace
Thought i'd update. Got the part in today, box marked made in Italy. I quickly ripped out the old one, and guess what..........It's a exact match!!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
What was the brand and part number. Were the mounting points an exact match also, or just the cable length?

When you get it installed, post a picture of the cable bracket so at least we will know which bracket works with that cable.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #20
TD New Guy

As promised, here is a picture of the box end and bracket.

ATP Y-738 was the cable used. Took twice as long to install as it did to remove. Took about 10 min to install. (had to find the grommet)
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch Cable Question-092812102532.jpg   Clutch Cable Question-092812102330.jpg  

Last edited by whitebb; 09-28-2012 at 09:30 AM..
Old 09-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #21
TD New Guy

Pictures up
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Datoyna Shelby Z

DDBob is keeping the peace
A few strands of my clutch cable just snapped. Thank God it did it in the drive way, I hate getting towed or a possible accident.
Thanks for the info. Here is a photo of my red 87 Daytona strut tower mounted clutch cable bracket. The difference is noticeable comparing the distance from grommet to the mounting nut between the 87 & 89.
Apparently my cable is the:
Rockauto Y362
Pioneer CA-202 $22.99
NAPA PN: BK 6151251 Product Line: Balkamp
Mopars online site doesn't list a part #, only the year.

Big price differences, Mopar $41.59 to Rockauto $20.98. NAPAs $29.14 but has a full 1 year 12,000 mile warranty so I'll try them.

DDBob.
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch Cable Question-1987-daytona-clutch-strut-tower-mount   Clutch Cable Question-1987-daytona-clutch-strut-tower-mount   Clutch Cable Question-1989-daytona-clutch-strut-tower-mount.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
TD New Guy

I eventually fixed this issue, and after i replaced the clutch, had to shim it with washers at the transmission, above the retainer clip. Works perfectly now.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
TD New Guy

Had to order the cable for my 87 Daytona Z from NAPA, should be here tomorrow. Although listed as the proper one from other dealers obvious mistakes I fear it’s not and this could drag out a while.
But then looking at the photos it occurred to me I missed the obvious, a later model (88 up) cable could work on my 87. As the cables are the same length all I should have to do is drill 2 new holes in the tower mount the increased distance between a newer cable and my older one. Problem solved, I hope.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
TD New Guy

Well somehow NAPA, even after I gave them all the right part numbers, really screwed up. Delivered a ATP Y137 (Italy), they got one letter and one number right. It's for the 83's like a Rampage, Horizon, etc. A full 1 1/2 inches shorter no way I could make it fit. Now I have to wait until they can ship next week.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #26
dme
Boostaholic

My Ride: 90 & 94 Voyager
Engine: 2.5T/3.0

dme is keeping the peace
I had a heck of a time with my GTS during the 5 speed swap. I ended up with every available bracket till I got one to work.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
TD New Guy

Totally wasted a good Saturday.
Iíve been broke down in the middle of nowhere so every time I repair or replace something Iím always thinking, is there a better way, can it be made stronger or more versatile. In this case I drilled 3 more sets of holes in the mounting bracket. It can be moved forward, backward or flipped to move way forward. If I get caught in nowhere in need of a cable about anything will do temporally. I just added two big washers under the nuts to make sure the mount canít bend. Good thing I made this mod.

NAPA got me the correct ATP Y362 cable. Problem (1) itís 1 Ĺ inches shorter, stock was 43 Ĺ & ATP 42, even accounting for cable stretch thatís way too much, (2) the mounting point on the sheath that goes through the bracket hole is a half inch difference. These 2 differences greatly reduced the clutch play. By moving the bracket forward moved the play to the middle of the peddle arch. This greatly improved things. However, this sucks, 3 days messing around and it still isnít as good as it was. Monday Iím hitting the Dodge dealership and hopefully theyíll have the right cable.

Anybody had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch Cable Question-1987-daytona-clutch-strut-tower-mount   Clutch Cable Question-1987-daytona-clutch-strut-tower-mount  
Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 85 laser
Engine: 2.5 hybrid
1/4: 11.585

jim34 is keeping the peace
maybe your tensioner in the pedal is bad, when you pull the pedal up does it take up the slack like it should ? the tensioner should take care of about 1.5" cable slack
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
TD New Guy

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm tired now. The ATP cable is 1 1/2 inches shorter. When I moved the bracket forward the auto adjuster moved a bit as well so it is working. Prior to moving the bracket I had to let the peddle up almost all the way before the transmission engaged. Now it's about mid stroke. Stock cable would start to engage a few inches off the floor and have a much longer range of motion.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
Mopar #4505341, fits 1989 P,A,J,K,G,H Bodies.
Call wholesalemopar.com, if cable is discontinued ask them to run a parts locator.
Mopar Parts | Order OEM Mopar Parts for All Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep Cars or Trucks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.