Cooling Problem need help! - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Cooling Problem need help!  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1989 Dodge Spirit ES
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Spirit42 is keeping the peace
The coolant temperature will go all the way up to hot then the thermostat will open and it will go down to just above cold and then it will just dance around all over the place. Sometimes the radiator is ice cold, sometimes it's hot. Some times the upper rad hose is hot and the lower is cold and vise versa. I've replaced the thermostat 3 times and no help. I don't get it. Plus when i turn the heat on, it's never very warm unless the the temp gauge is pegged at hot. Oh and it won't pull water from the bottle when it gets low. I would think water pump but it works sometimes and sometimes and doesn't any time I pull the radiator cap off, it's recirculating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Re: Cooling Problem need help!  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1990 daytona shelby
Engine: 2.5L turbo 1

wyochimneysweep is keeping the peace
Blown head gasket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

ILIKESHELBYS has really helped outILIKESHELBYS has really helped out
This sounds more like you need to bleed the cooling system problem. On top of the waterbox, there is a hex/Allen wrench plug, it is above and just behind the thermostat. If there is air in the system it will cause the temp gauge to be irratic and the heater will not work very well. If the plug has never been removed, it will take a torch to get that area hot enough to remove it. otherwise, many of us drill a 1/16 or 1/8" hole in the top of the thermostat and install it with the hole at the top allowing coolant to ease by during the fill process. You have to add the coolant then wait a minute or two as the coolant trickles through the small hole to fill the head w/coolant and to displace the air trapped in the water box and other areas of the head. Another trick is to park the car on a very steep hill or jack the front of the car up as far as possible then do your fill. That technique helps a lot but may still leave some air trapped...just not as much, another technique to use, and Ive done it several times is to actually pour in about a gallon of antifreeze first, then pour in boiling hot water. The hot water will cause the themostat to open and you can then get the head to fill with the mixture.

If you have any oil in the water or water in the oil that is typically a sign of a blown head gasket. It can often be confirmed with a compression test, one cyl at least will be very low on compression and when the engine is running you might even see the bubbling in the radiator neck. Hearing bubbling in the recovery bottle is NOT a solid indication of a blown head gasket. White smoke out the tailpipe that smells somewhat like butterscotch is often a good indication that coolant is reaching the combustion chamber...i.e.: blown head gasket.

Let us know what you try and discover/results.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out

Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
TD New Guy

i had already bled the system what seemed like 5 million times and it was still doing it. everytime i kept getting air and it's a brand new engine so no trouble with the head gasket. I finally let it cool overnight. Went out the next day, ran it up on ramps, opened the rad cap and the thermostat plug, let it run for a bit over a half an hour. it took that long the heat all the way till the thermostat opened and it let out a giant gulp of air. Hoping it all got out. drove it around a bit and everything seemed fine. I should have tried that before posting haha. It was just frustrating that even after bleeding it literally 6 times and not working haha.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

ILIKESHELBYS has really helped outILIKESHELBYS has really helped out
Glad to hear that you seem to have found your problem. Good deal.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
TD New Guy

Problem is back again. There seems to be a never ending supply of air in the system. Whenever the lower rad hose is ice cold i can open the rad cap and there is no flow to in the rad at all. Then it will all magically start working whenever it wants to. I don't understand. I know i said about it being a new engine with the headgasket but i guess it could have been installed wrong. could air be being pulled through there even though i'm not burning coolant and it isn't mixing with the oil or vice-versa. it also isn't coming out the exhaust.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1990 daytona shelby
Engine: 2.5L turbo 1

wyochimneysweep is keeping the peace
Headgasket
Old 11-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
CHAMPION OF THE LOG

My Ride: 85 shelby charger
Engine: 2.2l sohc bored.20
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous
1/4: 12.550

onerippinturbo2 is keeping our cars running
head gasket, cracked head or a simple coolant leak can cause what your describing, coolant leaks out and is replaced by air. i would pressure test the cooling system , pull the spark plugs out and see if the cooling system loses pressure, then look around to find the source of the leak. pulling out the spark plug allows you to look into the cylinders(somewhat) to see if any coolant is gathering there as well.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
Cylinder Leakdown Test will verify a head/headgasket issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.