ive been looking at vacuum diograms for an hour and now im lost - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
ive been looking at vacuum diograms for an hour and now im lost  
TD New Guy

My Ride: fiero
1/4: 0.000

blackbaron is keeping the peace
so i drew these up quick to help me identify how this should be on my 85 lebaron gts

this is how the wastegate is hooked up now (im not making any boost so i think this is the issue)

i think this is how it should be. am i right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Re: ive been looking at vacuum diograms for an hour and now im lost  
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
The top tube goes to the vacuum source, side tube goes to the actuator.

It's missing an orifice between the solenoid and wastegate actuator.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/turbo86.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
TD New Guy

My Ride: fiero

blackbaron is keeping the peace
this may be a dumb question but what is the point of an orifice?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
to slow the vacuum/boost "signal" down so the computer has enough time to adjust it. Otherwise the line would flow too much air and the computer wouldn't be able to keep up.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Sid
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge

Sid is keeping the peace
The solenoids in my 88 Daytona 2.2 T1 have always been connected like the picture shows from the day it was purchased new at the dealer. Vacuum goes in the bottom and the horizontal tube goes to the part. The Top, open to atmospheric air, had small foam filters that always rotted and I would keep replacing. You can see remnants of the foam filters in this pic. After the pic was taken, I put on new foam filters. The solenoid towards the front went to the wastegate and the one towards the back went to the map sensor. I do not know if they were different on the 85 models.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I do not know if they were different on the 85 models.
Vacuum diagrams are all different by year, car, model, and equipments.

88TI is different than 85-87TI

DDG- Vacuum diagrams for Mopar turbocars
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
to slow the vacuum/boost "signal" down so the computer has enough time to adjust it. Otherwise the line would flow too much air and the computer wouldn't be able to keep up.
thats not why. it acts as a flow limiter, yes, but not for a time delay.

without the orifice you are asking the wastegate solenoid to control pressure in a line directly connected to the intake manifold. which means you are asking it to fight the entire power of the engine to maintain that line at boost pressure, limited only by the line diameter and length. not going to happen. the orifice makes it so the engine cant influence the pressure in the line as strongly.

in electricity its the equivalent of a relatively high impedance "resistor" (or vacsistor lol)..like a pull up resistor of a few k on a signal line being controlled by a processor. if it were only 1 ohm the processor is not going to be able to control the voltage on the line because it will be trying to shunt the power rail to ground..boom. doesnt go boom in the engine situation because the solenoid doesn't dissipate power according to the same equation as a resistor.

so when people dont put the orifice in, and the ECU wants more boost, it opens the wastegate solenoid, venting intake manifold pressure to the atmosphere, but the engine acts as an essentially perfect pressure (voltage) source, and some pressure is still in the wastegate line even though tons of air is flowing out the open solenoid..and so the actuator still opens up the swingvalve, and you dont get as much boost.

actually I looked at the diagram in this thread and it doesnt seem to function the way I described. in that case im not sure why its there.

but if you look at the diagram for an 89 daytona, its different. the boost source is connected to the actuator/solenoid circuit through the orifice. that is what i described. why did they change it?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Question Re: ive been looking at vacuum diograms for an hour and now im lost  
Boostaholic

Induct: N/A

GhostDaytona is traveling down a dark road
U all know the setup on mine, maybe that's why I'm getting
What I call over spool. It hits so hard it cuts out sometimes
In 2nd before I hit 3rd, do I need to put back the yellow
Restrictor back into the WG line? Which way would the
Small end yellow restrictor face???
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDaytona View Post
U all know the setup on mine, maybe that's why I'm getting
What I call over spool. It hits so hard it cuts out sometimes
In 2nd before I hit 3rd, do I need to put back the yellow
Restrictor back into the WG line? Which way would the
Small end yellow restrictor face???
Try this experiment:

unplug the electrical connector from the wastegate solenoid

disconnect whatever vac line is connected to the wastegate actuator AT THE WASTEGATE ACTUATOR (note I am not talking about the solenoid).

connect a vacuum line straight from the intake manifold to the wastegate actuator. do not put the orifice in this line.

go for a test run and watch your boost.

this will show you if your boost can be controlled at all with your wastegate actuator. there is no solenoid, so the ECU, orifices, and anything else have nothing to do with it. if your wastegate actuator is working and the vacuum line to it is unblocked and has no holes, then your boost should be limited and you should definitely not overboost.

if it passes this test, then maybe your solenoid is stuck in a position where it always vents the line to atmosphere, so that pressure never gets to the actuator (which would turn down the boost), and your boost just goes up and up forever..you can test for this too, but do the first experiment first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.