Will not start! - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Will not start!  
Level 4 Supporter

My Ride: 87 SHELBY DAYTONA Z
Engine: 2.2 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

lancerman23 is keeping the peace
ok guys i feel i have exhausted all avenues trying to get my 87 shelby z tona to start...

list of mod's - are many, i dont know listing them all would help.. figure this out faster..

only thing that is not on the car is the FMIC & piping.. got the timing set (covers and fan belts are all off so i can make sure it will at least idle)

First- it wouldn't start becuase it was leaking fuel and i had hooked up the fuel lines backwards.. upon trying to correct the fuel lines.. the fuel inlet tube off my stock fuel rail BROKE , luckily i had a billet rail from one of our vendors sitting on the shelf. finally got time to install it, and it will still NOT FREAKING START.. wont even putter like it's catching!

SPARK- YES FROM EVERY PLUG WIRE
FUEL- I KNOW THE RAIL IS FINALLY GETTING PRESSURE! AND THERE'S NO LEAKS.. question is how to do i check to make sure all the connectors for the injectors are getting a signal? i had to sort-of re-route the injectors.. ie flip the connectors so there under neath the rail..
i hope i don't have to pull the rail again..

the rail is alluminum and so are the brakets.. could the brakets be causing a ground issue??

is it possible something is wrong with the injectors? there brand brand new..

i have a stock set i was going to throw in and see if that fixed it..

other than that i dont know what direction to go ? ... HELP PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Re: Will not start!  
CHAMPION OF THE LOG

My Ride: 85 shelby charger
Engine: 2.2l sohc bored.20
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous
1/4: 12.550

onerippinturbo2 is keeping our cars running
do you smell fuel after you crank it? did you pull at least 1 plug and see if its wet from fuel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 Dodge Daytona ES
Engine: 2.2 T-II

maddogmech1 is keeping the peace
When was the last time the car ran, and what has been done to it since then? Usually if just fixing something then it won't start, chances are you missed something dumb putting it back together. I've done this many times lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
Level 4 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerippinturbo2 View Post
do you smell fuel after you crank it? did you pull at least 1 plug and see if its wet from fuel?

no smell of fuel after i crank it.. and there not wet.. so it's got to be a fuel issue of some sort.. i know the rail is getting fuel.. so the only other option could be is the injectors right?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Level 4 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmech1 View Post
When was the last time the car ran, and what has been done to it since then? Usually if just fixing something then it won't start, chances are you missed something dumb putting it back together. I've done this many times lol

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
well this has been a 4 year project lol.. and everything was done to it.. full forged bottome end, better tranny & clutch, cv joints.. walboro pump, head work, intake and exhaust mani port jobs ,bigger turbo, new rad, FMIC, on and on.... so it hasn't ran once, at all in four years.. got all the stuff finally put on it and back together.. now i know the timing is on cause you can shot it with ether and it'll fire right up.. no back firing, no sputtering.. but the min you give it fuel it dies....

that's why im leaning to and injector issue... no signal is my guess.. but then i run into the other complications.. is it a ground issue? if so how do you test for it?
If it's a signal issue .. i've got the diod tester's but then i'll have to pull the rail off and test each one i suppose..

is there something wrong in my line of thinking? that i might be missing?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
CHAMPION OF THE LOG

it sounds like your not getting the signal to fire the injectors(no injector pulse) could be the rail ground, did you ground the injector harness to 1 of the rail bolts?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Mr. Moderator

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.4l

turbokid is keeping the peace
Definitely check ground on the injector harness. Also check power to harness make sure it is even getting power. I dont remember the wire... its been a while. Not much help I know but thats where I would start
Old 11-11-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
NO START/NO SPARK
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...k-84-90-a.html

Stop guessing and run diagnostics.
Once you determine the circuit that is causing your issue post back and we will go from there.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
CHAMPION OF THE LOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerman23 View Post
ok guys i feel i have exhausted all avenues trying to get my 87 shelby z tona to start...

list of mod's - are many, i dont know listing them all would help.. figure this out faster..

only thing that is not on the car is the FMIC & piping.. got the timing set (covers and fan belts are all off so i can make sure it will at least idle)

First- it wouldn't start becuase it was leaking fuel and i had hooked up the fuel lines backwards.. upon trying to correct the fuel lines.. the fuel inlet tube off my stock fuel rail BROKE , luckily i had a billet rail from one of our vendors sitting on the shelf. finally got time to install it, and it will still NOT FREAKING START.. wont even putter like it's catching!

SPARK- YES FROM EVERY PLUG WIRE
looks like he verified spark already to me also the fact that when he adds an alternate fuel source it will run, he's not getting fuel but has spark.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Sid
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge

Sid is keeping the peace
There is a ground wire on the Injector Harness that screws right down on the Intake Manifold, and another from the right side of the Intake Manifold to the firewall, at least on my car. If there is indeed fuel pressure in the rail, the only way fuel is not getting to the cylinder is because the injectors are not firing/opening. The engine fires when ether is sprayed into it, so he has spark. Injectors do not ground on the fuel rail since they are held in place with O-Rings. The harness needs to be grounded for the electrical circuit to complete. So the question is why fuel is not getting to its final destination...
Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Level 4 Supporter

I know fuel is definitely getting to the rail..4the injector wasn't clocked right when i bolted the fail down, and when i went to go start it fuel was gushing out of that hole..also i took the feed line off the rail and had some one turn the key on and fuel comes flowing out of it.. so next option is injectors aren't firing..

I'm going to move the injector harness ground somewhere else and see if that does it..
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
How does the injectors connectors look at the wiring? Shinny sliver or blue/green?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
Fault Codes...26 and/or 27??? or any other codes???
Fuel to the rail, what is actual pressure???

Noid Lights???
Search: noid lights | Injector Signal Tester | AutoZone.com

Sensor Values...Baro/Map Cranking???
CTS with cold engine???
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
Level 4 Supporter

Haven't seen any fault codes- i can check those tonight

I do have a set of noid lights- just dont want to pull the dang thing apart again..for the 100th time.. but if it helps figure out what's wrong guess i'll half to

Sensor valves- have not checked them while cranking... YET!! i will make that part of my list.. thanks NAJ...

Question- i have a set of T3 manuals ... the values are going to be different aren't they? between the two engines?
i have a regular Chilton Manual that is supposed to cover all the turbo and non-turbo engines.. is that going to be a good source to tell me what range/voltage it should be getting on those sensors?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Level 4 Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
How does the injectors connectors look at the wiring? Shinny sliver or blue/green?
shiney silver... there are a couple that look like the protective covering is cracked and peeling away from the wire..

i'm fairly certain it's not making contact with anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.