Dip stick, an I don't mean Roscoe P. Coltrane. - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Dip stick, an I don't mean Roscoe P. Coltrane.  
Boostaholic

Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

GhostDaytona is traveling down a dark road
Maybe this has happened to some of you. Where you grab an pull the dip stick t check your oil, I've got oil blowing out of the top.

Right at the handle, where it curls over into the question mark handle.
Now I know these motors make a lot of internal pressure, but what can cause this to be happening??????

I wipe down the motor, drive it, oil all over it again.
An I see the puff of hot oil coming out if the hood vent, just a puff of smoke, and It blows out about a quart every two weeks.

Suggestions?
Blocked PCV?

Thinking about a catch can system ? Loosing oil, and oil ain't cheap.

Attached pic, see the handle, right at the end of the curl, oil is just literally leaking out.
Attached Thumbnails
Dip stick, an I don't mean Roscoe P. Coltrane.-image.jpg  

Last edited by GhostDaytona; 11-18-2012 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Added pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Re: Dip stick, an I don't mean Roscoe P. Coltrane.  
Daytona Junkie

sounds like massive blowby. cracked piston, rings, etc, etc

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Authorized TD Vendor

glhs727 is keeping our cars runningglhs727 is keeping our cars running
yea, do a compression and leak down test asap
Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Boostaholic

Well, I know the turbo needs rebuilding as it sat for 4 1/2 years, but the motor has less than 4000 miles on that build. I know the seals in the turbo are shot, but it still pulls hard. PCV clogged?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Boostaholic

Let me explain it like this, I'm like Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder, I don't know shit about cars, an my pride don't get in the way of me admitting that. Now leak down, compression, have no clue how or even to try an attempt on that, as I don't have any kinda tools to try.

GLHS727, u r in Spring, TX, not to far from me, can I schedule some dyno an testing time at FWD Perf. ???? Cost for some test an tune, because honestly I hate working on this car. I just wanna drive it, I've spent more time wrenching than actually driving.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1
Induct: Turbo

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
compression test is easy as pullin spark plugs

any auto parts outlet will have a compression tester - it's not goin to be expensive
20 - 40 bucks should get you a good one - just don't buy a push in one with the rubber tip , get a threadded one that fits your spark plug holes

start cylinder 1 , remove plug install tester , crank engine without coil hooked up , read / record gauge reading - repete for accuracy
then move on to cylinder 2 and so on and so on

compare numbers across the engine and you'll know if you have a dead cylinder

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Authorized TD Vendor

glhs727 is keeping our cars runningglhs727 is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDaytona View Post
Let me explain it like this, I'm like Tom Cruise in Days of Thunder, I don't know shit about cars, an my pride don't get in the way of me admitting that. Now leak down, compression, have no clue how or even to try an attempt on that, as I don't have any kinda tools to try.

GLHS727, u r in Spring, TX, not to far from me, can I schedule some dyno an testing time at FWD Perf. ???? Cost for some test an tune, because honestly I hate working on this car. I just wanna drive it, I've spent more time wrenching than actually driving.
you are looking at $300-400 for a dyno tune, but a stage cal is only between $125-200 depending on year of car. But we wouldn't be putting your car on the dyno with it blowing oil out the dipstick. We would do a compression/leak down test first and a few other diagnostics to make sure the motor was healthy enough before tuning. We could do the diagnostics in less than an hour so if you want to bring the car it and have us look at it, let me know
Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Boostaholic

300-400, believe it or not, with my new job I can actually afford that.
Ok ill save up, and soon as I got cash, ill pm you, an we can setup a time, have to be on a weekend, only days I have off.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
TD New Guy

My Ride: '89 Omni, 82 380SL
Engine: 2.2 4 banger/ 3.8 V-8

OL'grouch is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDaytona View Post
Maybe this has happened to some of you. Where you grab an pull the dip stick t check your oil, I've got oil blowing out of the top.

Right at the handle, where it curls over into the question mark handle.
Now I know these motors make a lot of internal pressure, but what can cause this to be happening??????

I wipe down the motor, drive it, oil all over it again.
An I see the puff of hot oil coming out if the hood vent, just a puff of smoke, and It blows out about a quart every two weeks.

Suggestions?
Blocked PCV?

Thinking about a catch can system ? Loosing oil, and oil ain't cheap.

Attached pic, see the handle, right at the end of the curl, oil is just literally leaking out.

Before you go tearing things down and spending a chunk of change, check your breather. Your PVC system could be stopped up. In town, the PCV valve goes into the base of your carbretor/throttle body assembly. When engine speed picks up, there is too much in the way of vapor for this so it is vented into your breather. I've seen this a bunch of times through the years and only once was it blow by on the rings. How much oil is in your air filter box?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Boostaholic

I had been so busy with work, I had no time to check, did that an hour ago. not only did I completely clean out the airbox, but made my own homemade oil catch can system, to much oil was being blown through the system.
But, the original t1 turbo pulls its ass off, but its tired, I hope to have a new one soon from FWDP. hopefully it will last long enough till I pay off the IROC I'm buying, lol

Last edited by GhostDaytona; 11-24-2012 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: crappy iphn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.