'86 Omni Project - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
'86 Omni Project  
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge Omni GLH
1/4: 0.000

redmanjobber is keeping the peace
I have taken an 86 Dodge Omni and stripped it down to its skeleton and built it back up as a new car. Went from a 2.2L Carb. 3speed automatic to a 2.2L Turbo 2 set up with a 5speed (525). I started the project by myself May 13th last this past spring (after never even changing a tire) and now, after countless hours of reading and working on it, have it back together for the most part. It starts and runs great but I have to keep giving it gas to keep it running. So it has yet to move since May 13th. I have a few ideas of what might be wrong but would like some expert advice.
I bypassed the stock intake (and just have a cold air intake as seen in the pic), but have all the wires still running into the stock intake computer. So one thought was that that was causing a problem. I have an Air to Fuel ratio gauge and when idling it runs at about 13.4 and when I hit the gas it goes very lean (18+). So it seems to have a good mixture when standing still, but when it is supposed to by giving it more gas to make up for increased air pressure it doesnt.
I also bought an upgraded stage 3 computer for an intercooled set up from FDW. Not sure if that could cause anything.
And I have stock injectors. I bought 52s but was told those are probably too big for me only running a max of 15pounds (as a max setting in the new computer)
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
'86 Omni Project-img_3283.jpg   '86 Omni Project-img_3284.jpg   '86 Omni Project-1020121204a.jpg   '86 Omni Project-img_4022.jpg   '86 Omni Project-img_3979.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Re: '86 Omni Project  
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
Looking at your pictures it appears you upgraded to Turbo 1 (old style) log intake (you really should have gone with the newer style intake although it will work and if you're not really building a performance machine then who cares). What turbo is on the car? Are you getting any engine codes? Your idle may be caused by a bad AIS sensor (although I'm not too sure if the old style log intake has an AIS sensor). I'm also confused by the picture it appears there's a air filter on the throttle body (there should be a turbo boost pipe running into the intake) Again I'm not too familiar with the old style Log intake. Generally the air filter should bolt to the intake side of the turbocharger.
What year engine/electronics are you running? P.S. Great job on your first project and I'm sure with all the expertise on this forum we'll have your Omni down the road in no time!
87 Daytona Shelby Z 2.5 T2-> cummins cooler, 3" exhaust, S60, forged venolias, Shel-game custom 3 bar cal 18 psi... ported +1 head Lookin to go low 13's.. extra lean - need a good tune and hopefully the new 4 puck holds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
TD New Guy

So I had this whole long thing typed up and my internet dropped out... So here we go again.
First of all, thank you for your comment and complement.
Intake manifold: I found out later in the process that it was not the best but found it is fine for what I am trying to achieve.
Turbo: Im not really sure on any specifics on the turbo but it came out of an 85 omni with just a turbo 1 set-up.
What are engine codes and how do they work?
Can you explain a little more about the AIS sensor?
The throttle body in my set up has the air come in the top, down to the turbo, then I took it up to the intercooler and back to the intake manifold. So the throttle body is before the intercooler, not after. Hope that makes sense.
It is a 85 engine and wires in the engine compartment and 86 inside which has caused other problems itself but I have corrected most of them lol.
Thanks again for all your time, I know I am asking a lot.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1983 Dodge omni
Engine: 2.2l non turbo
Induct: N/A

bulldog565 is keeping the peace
I love this I'm doing this on conersion on a 1983 dodge omni and a turbo log motor from a lebaron
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #5
TD New Guy

It's quite a project, especially being in college full time, getting married in June, etc. but I can't wait for the thing finally drive down the road. Too much time and money to be just sitting there
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Boostaholic

wallace is keeping the peace
Are you running the engine on the stage 3 computer? If so, what size injectors is the cal scaled for? If it's +20 or +40 and you are running stock injectors that could be your lean issue off idle.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Is the correct map sensor hooked up? Any codes?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmanjobber View Post
What are engine codes and how do they work?
Can you explain a little more about the AIS sensor?
The throttle body in my set up has the air come in the top, down to the turbo, then I took it up to the intercooler and back to the intake manifold. So the throttle body is before the intercooler, not after. Hope that makes sense.
It is a 85 engine and wires in the engine compartment and 86 inside which has caused other problems itself but I have corrected most of them lol.
Thanks again for all your time, I know I am asking a lot.
Engine codes are error codes that the computer stores and then you would see the engine light (power loss) light light up in the car. Do you have any lights on the dash when the car starts up? If so we can help you see what engine error codes are showing up and what sensor could be the problem. You can also access the codes by cycling your key from off to start position 3 or 4 times and leave it in the on position and the (engine light/power loss light) will then flash. You have to count the flashes to get the codes. There will be flashes with longer pauses that signals the next number. You should probably check out thedodgegarage.com to learn a little more. The AIS is the Automatic Idle Speed motor/sensor. It's a little sensor/motor that will make minor adjustments (based on the computer) to keep the idle proper (if this sensor is no good or not wired properly you can have idle issues).
87 Daytona Shelby Z 2.5 T2-> cummins cooler, 3" exhaust, S60, forged venolias, Shel-game custom 3 bar cal 18 psi... ported +1 head Lookin to go low 13's.. extra lean - need a good tune and hopefully the new 4 puck holds up.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
TD New Guy

Wallace:
https://www.fwdperformance.com/Store...xtCatalog=1985
This is where I got the ECU from, it is the stage 3 (last one). What is next to it for info is all I know about it. So it says it should work with stock injectors. I have a full set of +40's that I did not install because I was told I may not get a good mixture.
.....ok, so I just went and did some research on the MAP sensor and AIS. The ECU has the map sensor built into it as seen it the pic on the website (its the black part). I remember when I received it the MAP sensor was not on it and there was a plug on the inside with I think 3 wires, I dont have the time now to go take it apart and look but I am now thinking that that is what needs to be plugged in to fix the idle problem. A new problem though is that I am not sure what wires to plug into that. Any suggestions on that?

Tryingbe:
Not sure on codes, but as stated above I think I may not have it hooked up right yet.

Cawcislo:
I have no dummy lights in the care anymore. As you can see in the pic, I reconfigured my dash and bought all new gauges (went a little overboard on the tach but oh well :P). So looking at everything you are telling me it was probably a bad idea to take all that out :/ Looking into the AIS (Turbo I to Turbo II) I dont really understand what it means by 4 wire connector, none of the ECU's I have looked at have 4 connectors?? I also dont know how I would add 2 wires and am not sure what that is for.
[IMG]/Users/Steven/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2012/09/05/20120905-102430/IMG_3984.JPG[IMG]
(Not sure if this image will work or not)
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
TD New Guy

It didnt :/ am I able to upload a photo without it being a link to an online source?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
TD New Guy

My Ride: srt

netnews is keeping the peace
photobucket.. easiest place to upload/share pictures
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: CSX/Omni/Shel-Dak
Engine: 5.2 & 2.2 turbo

dragbaron is keeping the peace
If you didn't remove the old map sensor from your old computer and install it in the new one, then you should be surprised it runs at all. Your old map plugs into those wires you're talking about, and there is a vacuum line that goes to it also. You should also install and wire up a light for checking engine codes.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #13
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
what fuel pump did you use in this car?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
TD New Guy

Thanks netnews, Ill look into that.

Dragbaron:
FWD had me send everything back as a core charge and i didnt think anything of it at the time, so I hope that doesnt mess anything up too bad. Im not sure what I was thinking before, but I did plug the new MAP sensor in and the vacuum line is where it needs to be.
How would you go about installing the light and everything to check the codes?

Turbomini:
Here is the link to the fuel pump I bought.
HFP 255LPH Fuel Pump Dodge Omni 1985 - 1990
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.