Just bought an 87 Dodge Shelby Charger and Im having troubles.... - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #16
Re: Just bought an 87 Dodge Shelby Charger and Im having troubles....  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.2L T1
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.628

StaticsShelby is keeping the peace
I kind of want to start a parts company that specializes in these cars....like 3sx is with the Stealth/3000gt. Only our cars....hmmmm....time to get dealer accounts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
Garrett Booster

1/4: 0.000

ohnotagain is keeping the peace
if your car is a TI it already has a blow off valve on it. its located inside the air cleaner box so you cant hear it when you shift.

look at the hose going from the turbo outlet to the throttle body- you will see a 3/4" size hose teed off from there that goes into the bottom of the air cleaner box. inside the box attached there you'll see the blow off valve. if you want more sound out of the valve you can remove it from the air cleaner box and relocate it out in the engine compartment. just cut the hose off where it tees off the turbo outlet hose, leave about 3 inches and reattach the valve there, run the vacuum line to the nipple on the throttle body and you're done. make sure to use hose clamps of course.

since the previous owner liked to "fix" things i would go over the car completely, especially the vacuum lines. i would highly reccomend replacing all the vacuum lines and installing a vacuum block if the orignal plastic one is gone. do not use rubber vacuum hose, at autozone and the other parts stores they will have the black plastic hose like what was used from the factory- its packaged in the Help! line and sold as "emissions hose" by the pcv valves and pcv grommets. you may also want to get the little rubber boots that the hose attaches to, its in the vacuum tee section, those tend to dry rot and leak as well.

if the tires are flat spotted and you've already blown one out i would just preplace all 4 of them and call it a day. last thing you need is a tire comming apart on you while you're going down the road. besides you can get 15" tires pretty cheap if you do some shopping around, 205/60/15 would be the factory size on the 15 inch rims.

edit- 87 TI right? it should have the log style intake- throttle body is attached directly to the turbo inlet, correct? if thats the case ignore the bit about the BOV above- your car wont have one. if it were my car i would swap out for the blow through style intake, the log manifold pull through style intake, well sucks. 88 up turbo cars will have the blow through style intake manifold, get the throttle body as well. add that with an intercooler, the stock one will work great. a TII mopar stage 2 computer to finish it off will REALLY wake that car up, you think its fun to drive now....
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Mr. Moderator

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.4l
1/4: 0.000

turbokid is keeping the peace
It's a t1 log style set up. No blow off valve. convert the car to t2, more power, intercooler, blow off valve etc. It's easy to make a 13 second l-body with a t2 set up and a little tweaking
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #19
TD New Guy

Damn you had me excited for a second there "notagain". Way to pick up spirits and then throw them to the gutter LOL!!

All the vacuum will be replaced next week thanks for that info on where to find those plastic lines.

The car already has the stage 2 computer running 14psi. I had a hard time driving the first couple times with throttle rhythm....everytime the turbo spooled up it was like a hit a nitrous button....and I was just trying to accelerate to speed lol. Iknow a guy who has a GT350 and this charger handed its ass over to him....it was fun...I love this car...

I also had replacing the tires on my agenda as well. the shocks and struts are so blown at the moment that I need to get that done first...

Now I was looking through the service records that came with this car, there I found receipt for 2 things....stage 3 clutch (245.00 for parts...no labor) and resurfacing the flywheel (40.00). I was going to have the clutch replaced because of the rubbing sound. its not loud really....but its definatly noticeable. Just touching the pedal with foot starts the noise....no matter how hard I press it doesn't get louder or quieter until I completely remove my foot from the pedal....and it goes away. Do I need to adjust something? where the hell is the clutch master cylinder?

Before I replace the tires I need to find a set of Pizza wheels. I also want to sell the American Racing wheels that are on the car. They look great...but one needs to be resurfaced due to a crack in the bead seating area and I would rather put the money into a set of pizzas....they can be in any shape as long as they hold air and don't wobble....If you have a set we can work out a deal....PLEASE!!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
TD New Guy

Hey guys, does nobody make body panels for these cars? I need a left rear quarter skin....car was hit there. No other damages other than the cracked rim and dented skin...I would just pull it but it flattened the body lines....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.