'86 Turbo Z digital dash odometer memory chip question.( Not working) - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
Wink Re: '86 Turbo Z digital dash odometer memory chip question.( Not working)  
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '86 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Mdniteracr1 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellonoma View Post
To cool, thanks for that scan Dave.

Hopefully somebody has kept a bad cluster, I would put up a wanted ad not for an odo chip, but rather a bad cluster that won't power up/display anymore.
Thanks for the advise!! Much appreciated. I may have found WoodrowZ with a back up cluster. I will check the chip first (play with it) and see if its sitting in there correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
Re: '86 Turbo Z digital dash odometer memory chip question.( Not working)  
Hybrid Booster

Pulled the odometer chip out and placed it back in, wiggled lightly, etc... Still not working. This chip was sitting higher and closest to the window. Easy to pull out. Hopefully this was the right chip that was checked lol .

If this was the correct one...HOLY SMOKES !! It is ridiculously easy for someone to switch chips for a lower mileage one and flip the car for more money. I'm guessing that's why in '87 they started to change the easiness on changing these chips (from what I read on here)
Old 12-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #18
Level 4 Supporter

My Ride: 86' Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 15.010

woodrow Z is keeping the peace
So if that didn't work, but the odometer readout changed to whatever car the chip was in previously. Is it really the cause?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #19
ENTER 4 SEPTEMBER COTM!

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII

yellonoma is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdniteracr1 View Post
Pulled the odometer chip out and placed it back in, wiggled lightly, etc... Still not working. This chip was sitting higher and closest to the window. Easy to pull out. Hopefully this was the right chip that was checked lol .

If this was the correct one...HOLY SMOKES !! It is ridiculously easy for someone to switch chips for a lower mileage one and flip the car for more money. I'm guessing that's why in '87 they started to change the easiness on changing these chips (from what I read on here)
No different or easier than swapping clusters, I have a 48k one original to the car, and a 208k that's in it. I don't ever plan to get rid of the car though.

Didn't mean to trash the thread, but yes, you pulled the right chip... something is telling me, there may be a protective feature on pulling and changing that chip, because when the dealer did it back in the day, there was an astrisk illuminated in from of the first digit of the odo readout. It's a bit of a mystery but DodgeG24Man has quite a bit of info on this stuff where he observed alot of it working for a Chrysler Dealer in the 80's
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #20
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellonoma View Post
No different or easier than swapping clusters, I have a 48k one original to the car, and a 208k that's in it. I don't ever plan to get rid of the car though.

Didn't mean to trash the thread, but yes, you pulled the right chip... something is telling me, there may be a protective feature on pulling and changing that chip, because when the dealer did it back in the day, there was an astrisk illuminated in from of the first digit of the odo readout. It's a bit of a mystery but DodgeG24Man has quite a bit of info on this stuff where he observed alot of it working for a Chrysler Dealer in the 80's
I don't even see where you trashed this thread lol . You didn't at all . Hmm, so if I get a diff. chip and put it in my car maybe it won't work. Let me read some threads by DodgeG24Man. It just might come down to finding a diff digital unit that works or somehow getting a unit repaired. Maybe somebody on here is handy at repairing these units. The mileage of 63k on my car that just got wiped out by chip did actually upset me . I wont lie. The thing is.. my engine is getting swamped out anyway soon so I shouldn't be too upset at this. I'm the type of guy that just wants every feature in my car to work. I hate starring at the stupid blanks where my mileage used to be lol . I love these cars !!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #21
Sid
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge

Sid is keeping the peace
My 1984 had the dashes appear and after months of searching, found a chip, only to install it and right in front of my eyes go from mileage...back to the dashes. In my case, a short in the cluster, wiped out the chip. Make sure your cluster is problem free before putting in a chip so the same does not happen to you. As others have mentioned, it is easier to find a complete cluster than the chip. New replacement chips are not available to my knowledge. I know the company that made them, went out of business and Motorola bought one part of the company and the Chip, Electronics Section by a company in...Yeah we Know...China.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #22
Boostaholic

My Ride: 88 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2 TII

DartGTS340 is keeping the peace
When I swapped my wife's cluster(84) for a better one it's mileage was just dashes. Swapped her chip into it and brought her mileage over to the new cluster. At the time I didn't know anything about this. I just saw the socketed chip, gave it a try and it worked. It didn't trigger an asterisk or any other sign that it wasn't stock.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 Daytona Turbo Z

Marc is keeping the peace
When I worked in a Dodge dealer back in the '80's, and when we changed an electronic instrument cluster, we never swapped the chip. The remanufactured clusters started at zero with an asterisk to show that it was a replacement cluster. Then, in the box, there was a label that was affixed to the doorjam and we wrote in the mileage at the time of the change.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #24
ENTER 4 SEPTEMBER COTM!

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII

yellonoma is keeping our cars running
Thanks for clearing that up Marc
Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
Smile Re: '86 Turbo Z digital dash odometer memory chip question.( Not working)  
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
When I worked in a Dodge dealer back in the '80's, and when we changed an electronic instrument cluster, we never swapped the chip. The remanufactured clusters started at zero with an asterisk to show that it was a replacement cluster. Then, in the box, there was a label that was affixed to the doorjam and we wrote in the mileage at the time of the change.
Hey Buddy !! So the whole thing about the asterisk popping up is all based on a re-manufactured digital dash cluster that was starting at 0 miles fresh? Did the asterisk ever disappear or did it stay there permanently to show it was a re-manufactured unit.
I see what you are saying. You write the actual mileage on the label and place it on the doorjamb . Then whatever miles you start to use on the new cluster gets added to the mileage on the door jamb. Makes sense. EX- 63k on doorjamb plus lets say you rack up 1k miles on the re-manufactured cluster = 64k actual miles . Got it ! Never new how they worked out the Math when it came to changing clusters
Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #26
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 Daytona Turbo Z

Marc is keeping the peace
Yep!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #27
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 86 GLHS

dhugo1 is keeping the peace
I have done a lot of research on these. Pretty sure they are serially programmed ER1451. I was going to build a programmer to read/write these but it got put on the back burner.

I've repaired a few of these dashes.
Attached Thumbnails
'86 Turbo Z digital dash odometer memory chip question.( Not working)-er1451_page_1.jpg   '86 Turbo Z digital dash odometer memory chip question.( Not working)-093.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
Sid
TD New Guy

Sid is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhugo1 View Post
I have done a lot of research on these. Pretty sure they are serially programmed ER1451. I was going to build a programmer to read/write these but it got put on the back burner.

I've repaired a few of these dashes.
That is the chip. I also researched and wrote the company before it was split up and sold. As you say, it needs to be programmed. There was someone on the board a few years back, Military/Electronic Engineer if I remember correctly that was working on the programing aspect but, have never seen any more of his posts. Since my dash shorted and ruined the replacement chip, sadly when I tried that chip on another cluster I bought, the mileage did not come back. So, junkyards and ultimately got 3 replacement clusters in working condition and have them as spares.
If anyone ever figures out how to program these chips and puts them up for sale,,, I would be interested in purchasing a couple of them.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
That is the chip. I also researched and wrote the company before it was split up and sold. As you say, it needs to be programmed. There was someone on the board a few years back, Military/Electronic Engineer if I remember correctly that was working on the programing aspect but, have never seen any more of his posts. Since my dash shorted and ruined the replacement chip, sadly when I tried that chip on another cluster I bought, the mileage did not come back. So, junkyards and ultimately got 3 replacement clusters in working condition and have them as spares.
If anyone ever figures out how to program these chips and puts them up for sale,,, I would be interested in purchasing a couple of them.
Hey Sid. I may be slow here but crave knowledge lol . Can you just break down what you are referring to . Are you talking about creating a new replacement chip for the digital Odometer reading instead of hunting down a used chip from another used cluster? Or buying a used replacement chip and trying to program it to bring back the old mileage? Thanks buddy
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #30
Sid
TD New Guy

Sid is keeping the peace
I wish I could create one of the chips but No-Can-Do. I needed spares so went to junkyards and bought clusters. Found numerous of these during the Cash for Clunkers Program (what basically depleted our supply of 70's and 80's cars) and luckily found three good, working clusters and these are the ones I have for spares.

The one who was working on programming the chips was here on the forum a while back and said he had bought a lot of them on eBay and said he was close to getting the programming correct. I know other members told him they would buy the chip if he got it to work. It's been a while since I read his thread but it should not be hard to find. I did find the blank chips on a site but, they wanted over 100 dollars per chip. The Original Manufacturer of the Chip was General Instruments...hence the GI on the back of the chip.
I did find one of the threads that dealt with the chip http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f8/...requested.html

Last edited by Sid; 12-11-2012 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: Company Name, Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.