1990 Turbo Oil Return Hose HELP PLEASE - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
1990 Turbo Oil Return Hose HELP PLEASE  
TD New Guy

My Ride: dodge ram cummins
1/4: 0.000

greeze75 is keeping the peace
Hey yall newbie here. Im asking this question for my step dad. He has a 1990 2.5 turbo Daytona. He has recently rebuilt engine and replaced turbo (stock specs). On the turbo oil return hose there is a T fitting going to air box. Well you guessed it its filling air box with oil. He actually tore engine back out and apart to find everything checked fine. Brought turbo back to local shop that are turbo gurus. New turbo is fine. What would cause so much oil to be venting back into air box??? His idea is to drill and tap valve cover and run hose to valve cover?? I told him to wait and maybe get some help here. I had mentioned everything I have read here as far as restrictions, also those cars having a slight "mist" well this is actually "pumping" oil into intake.

Last edited by greeze75; 12-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Re: 1990 Turbo Oil Return Hose HELP PLEASE  
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
more than likely the oil is coming from the valve cover out of the PCV system. The T in the oil return is so that oil can drain back into the crank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
Agreed, the T is there to let whatever oil accumulates in the airbox from the V.C (which it usually does) to drain back to the pan. They used to just have a hole in the bottom of the airbox and let it drip out, but I think new EPA regulations prohibited that.

Maybe he pulled the baffle out of the valve cover and didn't seal it properly when he installed it, letting excess oil get out the PCV system....?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
don't be bashin the Mini

My Ride: 89 woody Voyager
Engine: 2.5 upgraded to T2 Status and converted to a 5spd

rockslinger is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedDust View Post
Agreed, the T is there to let whatever oil accumulates in the airbox from the V.C (which it usually does) to drain back to the pan. They used to just have a hole in the bottom of the airbox and let it drip out, but I think new EPA regulations prohibited that.

Maybe he pulled the baffle out of the valve cover and didn't seal it properly when he installed it, letting excess oil get out the PCV system....?
Thats an idea. . . maybe you should check that out
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
make sure the check valve in the line that goes to the return pipe t is not backwards...unlikely because i think that hose is formed..but might as well check
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
TD New Guy

Thx again guys. I will have him check. I was looking at it a couple weeks ago and the T is in the oil return line from turbo. The hose coming off the T goes to the air box filling it with oil. He was going to route it to the valve cover to keep oil inside the engine. There was/is no provision in the valve cover he was/is going to add one (hillbilly engineering LOL). I could understand a slight amount of oil coming off that hose but I dont think it should be quarts of oil filling air box. I mean the air filter was literally soaked and dripping after a ride around the block. I told him to crack the oil fill cap as to make sure the crank case is vented and to check it again. When rebuilding the engine he removed that internal balancer in the crank case area and had crank balanced could that have anything to do with it
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
TD New Guy

So I reread the responses. That hose is supposed to be a drain??? It seems that it is working opposite of the intended use. Instead of oil draining down that tube oil is coming up the hose into air box. Thx again guys. This is kicking his BUTT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.