Will they total it? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Will they total it?  
We'll do it live!

My Ride: 91 Spirit/89 Daytona
Engine: 2.5 T2ish/2.2 T2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

itsbudda is keeping the peace
After rewiring the fuel pump after a stream of weekly breakdowns, I thought it would be fun to set my odometer to see how many miles I go before breaking down again. I was looking forward to hitting 400 miles because then I figured I could reasonably expect to take my car on a road trip and trust it, given the essentially new engine and good tranny, which is convenient because I'm supposed to go on a road trip around Ohio this weekend.

Right at 402 miles, some guy in a mid 2000s cavalier thought it would be a good idea to turn right into Taco bell from the center lane in front of me, leaving me no choice but to smash into his front passenger door. But this shit ain't over.

He then starts to pull forward, turning still toward my car, tearing up literally the entire passenger side of his car, and tries to make a run for it. Uh, **** no! I built this car specifically to outrun cavaliers. I follow him through the taco bell parking lot. He pulls out onto the street to try to make a break for it as the light turns red. I pull out behind a car behind him, and honk my horn to alert the cop that's in the next lane over. He blasts through the red light to get away from me, and the cop pulls him over for running the red light. I pull up behind the cop to tell them what happened, as a witness who saw what happened and followed us pulls up to give his statement.

I ended the affair not even getting to speak one word to this asshole, but got his plate number, insurance info, address, and his name, and the satisfaction in seeing his frown as he waited in the car for his hit and run ticket. Good. Bathe in your dissatisfaction of what a piece of shit you are. What's even more hilarious is the damage he did to his car pulling away from me was twice as bad as what I did hitting it.

Anyway looking at the info sheet, I noticed license # was blank, so that explains why he ran. I searched the name on facebook and it came up some guy in his 50s. Looking through his pictures i found a picture definitely of the guy that hit me captioned "son." Obviously some dumbass kid with no license taking his dad's car out for a joyride, ****ing my car in the process.

The damage is heart wrenching, but seems only cosmetic. The bumper rubs the wheel when you turn right but otherwise the car runs and drives like nothing happened. The drivers side door doesn't like to shut anymore though.

I called douchebag's insurance today and they fixed me up with a rental car (2012 Nissan Versa, regrettable abortion of a vehicle,) and it's getting towed to the local Chrysler dealership for estimates. I'm looking through the bluebook values and they're horrifying. I've put so much hard work and money into making this car decent and still owe $4,000 against the title. Will the rebuilt engine and turbo, and all the standard stage 3 go fast goodies matter at all, or are they gonna total it?

Derptona
1989 Daytona shelby. 2.2 T2, Menegon head, 1mm os valve, Same side FMIC, 3 in exhaust, +40s, 84 checker interior

Ceelo Red
2009 Honda Civic Si (S-low)
2.0 i-vtec, 6speed. The boring daily. Totally stock, staying that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Re: Will they total it?  
Meow!!

My Ride: 87shelby charger
Engine: 2.2L TII

Turbomini is keeping the peace
if you need parts let me know i am buying a 93 tbi spirit at 8am lol but its just outter skin looking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
kills more cars than rust

My Ride: lancer
Engine: 2.5 .20 over

2.2lanceres is keeping the peace
They are going to low ball you on the price. Your best bet is to find some cars like yours that have sold recently for around the price you think your car is worth. Get all the receipts you have to show the insurance company the work you did and hope for the best
Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
First offer is going to be low. $500 low, judging from the paint condition. Don't accept it.

Then, you will have to counter with your proof of purchase price, and all the receipts you've saved up, and hopefully you'll get 50% of that and can keep the car and fixes whatever and make it drivable. Hopefully your car doesn't have a salvage title to start with, other wise, it's going to hurt your countering position.

Oh, take your emotion away when you talk to the agent, use logic and receipts. No point yelling at them.

If they somehow give you $4000, take the money and run!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
We'll do it live!

Yeah the car left a puddle of oil and antifreeze when it was towed. I have no idea why or where from, but that doesn't look good. I have no proof of purchase price of the vehicle, all I have is my FWD-P order record (which is AWESOME they keep that available) showing the turbo, lines, gaskets, bolts, and new fuel pump, and reciept on the rebuilt head, but all the other go fast goodies came with the car when i bought it so I have no way to prove any of it.

I tried to find some on autotrader and there's only 6 spirits nationwide. 2 are mint grabbing $3-3500, the rest are below $1600, and still in nicer shape than mine minus engine work, with lower miles. The rarity of the car probably won't mean shit either will it?

Derptona
1989 Daytona shelby. 2.2 T2, Menegon head, 1mm os valve, Same side FMIC, 3 in exhaust, +40s, 84 checker interior

Ceelo Red
2009 Honda Civic Si (S-low)
2.0 i-vtec, 6speed. The boring daily. Totally stock, staying that way.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
20 year + old dodge with peeling paint is all insurnace company will see.

I'd total it if I was in their shoes.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
We'll do it live!

Mmmhmm. On the bright side, our insurance, nationwide values the car at no less than $1700, and I just pulled $1000 in reciepts.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Level 3 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Turbo Z, 91 Shelb
Engine: 2.2-2.5

4Daytonas is keeping the peace
Shown before-- I got 3700 for this. State Farm guy hit me. Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Will they total it?-100-3157.jpg  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
TD New Guy

My Ride: Shelby Charger

spycker is keeping the peace
found this in my area 1991 DODGE SPIRIT
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
---SITE GUIDES---

My Ride: 1992 spirit es
Engine: 2.5 turbo
1/4: 15.800

92turbospirit is keeping the peace
What is the car? Spirit ES or RT? What motor? What year?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Fox
TD New Guy

My Ride: 89 shelby csx
Engine: 2.2 Turbo IV

Fox is keeping the peace
whatever they give you make sure they let you keep the car with a clean title, body damage is easily fixable and shouldn't cost much to get all the panels you need
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
---SITE GUIDES---

My Ride: 87 Daytona Shelby Z
Engine: 2.5 CB TII

beeblebrox82 is keeping the peace
insurance company will use NADA values, not blue book, figure at least 2K depending on mileage.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
We'll do it live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92turbospirit View Post
What is the car? Spirit ES or RT? What motor? What year?
Right, it's a spirit es, 2.5 turbo 5 speed, from what I've read 1 of only 318 built in 91. Upgraded garrett turbo and FMIC, Stage 3, +20s, 2.5in exhaust, 189k, one small rust hole on the wheel well but clean underbody, interior is about 6/10.

Edit woah wtf Nada says the car's worth $1,775-$5,250, with average price being $3400. This is good news.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 85 GTS, 3 87 GTS, 89
Engine: 2.2

looneytuner is keeping the peace
Receipts!!!!!!!! If you buy your insurance through a broker they can add a little leverage. Get an estimate from the dealer to also install all the parts you added. That will add to the total value of car.Your purchase price should be on record with the DMV if you paid sales tax when purchased.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
We'll do it live!

I did not. The title was listed as gift i believe, or like $1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.