Boost pulls back to 5psi under full throttle HELP - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Boost pulls back to 5psi under full throttle HELP  
TD New Guy

Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Bodybag is keeping the peace
Here's the problem with my '86 GLHS. Basically at any throttle position past about 80% it pulls boost back to exactly 5psi. Anything from 0-80% throttle responds normally and gets normal boost levels up to about 14psi (Mopar Stage II ECM) depending on load. However even if I'm getting full boost at say 75% throttle, once I go past that 80% throttle threshold it instantly pulls boost back to 5psi. It will hold 5psi unless I let off some on the throttle, then it will quickly build boost back to normal.

I'm not sure what is taking control of boost at heavier throttle, but it's not right. I have to assume it's an adjustment, maybe of the TPS? Let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Re: Boost pulls back to 5psi under full throttle HELP  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
I am not an expert on turbo's but...
Does the 86 have an adjustable wastegate arm???

Tee a vacuum/pressure gauge inline between the wastegate solenoid and wastegate and see what pressure is in that line before and after 80% throttle.
You may not be seeing anything before 80% throttle.

BTW...TPS is not adjustable but the controller has to see above 3.50 volts to recognize WOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
Hmmm, do you have the orifice fitting in line between the actuator and the solenoid, if not you may need to install one.

Check to see that the actuator has that little brace rod between the center section and the actuator bracket.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
ECU pulling back the boost because of detonation? Need a scanner on it to see. One thing to check out would be the SoCal SDAC meet at applebee's in LaHabra the 1st thursday of every month.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
TD New Guy

Bodybag is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
ECU pulling back the boost because of detonation? Need a scanner on it to see. One thing to check out would be the SoCal SDAC meet at applebee's in LaHabra the 1st thursday of every month.
Thanks for the tip in the SDAC meet, I'll probably try to go next month. I live less than 15 minutes from there.

As far as detonation, I don't think that's it. Seems directly related to throttle position and I definitely don't hear even a little ping.

FWIW, the car recently had the cyl head rebuilt and all the hoses were replaced as well as the TPS at that time, this issue stared afterwards. I'm leaning towards the suggestion that ChargedDust made regarding the orifice fitting. I haven't looked for it yet, but if that could cause such a problem then that's likely the culprit.

I will be back here if the problem persists after checking for the orifice fitting.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
That meeting is every month?? I thought it was like once a year or somethin
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
yep every month, 1st thursday. There's an on-going thread over on Turbo-mopar.com about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.