What is this? (Picture) - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
Re: What is this? (Picture)  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: Kia Rio/ 90 Spirit
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Mr. Stroker is keeping the peace
This is normal short drive junk. Pull the oil cap on a 4.7l and you would swear it was done for.
Make sure your car is hitting at least 180f and monitor headgasket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #32
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
im calling full 911 emergency start screaming..its 12-21-12 all over again

your engine is about to be destroyed by lack of lubrication. that substance is not caused by condensation or warm or cool air or short trips or any of that. its clearly an emulsion caused by mechanical mixing of oil and water. that emulsion would quickly screw the crap out of the lubrication system if it were "normal" in any respect by blocking passages and turning all your oil into garbage.

it may not show up on your dipstick because where its forming in the engine may cause it to stick to the walls of the crankcase or not cling to the dipstick for whatever reason. you have a "soup" in the oil pan composed of oil, this crap, coolant, floating chunks..like a root beer float. who knows what ends up or doesnt on the dipstick.

i would take your valve cover off and see what you can see, drain the oil too and see what you get out of there. if it all looks fine just pour it back in.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #33
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1996 Dodge 2500 CTD
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

sinfulrelations is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by acannell View Post
im calling full 911 emergency start screaming..its 12-21-12 all over again

your engine is about to be destroyed by lack of lubrication. that substance is not caused by condensation or warm or cool air or short trips or any of that. its clearly an emulsion caused by mechanical mixing of oil and water. that emulsion would quickly screw the crap out of the lubrication system if it were "normal" in any respect by blocking passages and turning all your oil into garbage.

it may not show up on your dipstick because where its forming in the engine may cause it to stick to the walls of the crankcase or not cling to the dipstick for whatever reason. you have a "soup" in the oil pan composed of oil, this crap, coolant, floating chunks..like a root beer float. who knows what ends up or doesnt on the dipstick.

i would take your valve cover off and see what you can see, drain the oil too and see what you get out of there. if it all looks fine just pour it back in.

Someone on here said 4.7 caught my attention, I remember a friend of mine had a Durango that the motor went we tore it down to find something similar to the pic, it happened under normal driving conditions, it had something to do with the oil getting burnt by overheating in the block then pulling moisture in and condensing, or something similar to that its been a few years so I don't remember all the details...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #34
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulrelations View Post
Someone on here said 4.7 caught my attention, I remember a friend of mine had a Durango that the motor went we tore it down to find something similar to the pic, it happened under normal driving conditions, it had something to do with the oil getting burnt by overheating in the block then pulling moisture in and condensing, or something similar to that its been a few years so I don't remember all the details...

yeah that makes sense if the pcv system is open to the atmosphere i suppose...i take back everything i said
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #35
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1996 Dodge 2500 CTD
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

sinfulrelations is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by acannell View Post
yeah that makes sense if the pcv system is open to the atmosphere i suppose...i take back everything i said
i mean dont get me wrong i can be heagasket problems if i were op i would pull the tube off of the valve cover and check it out to see if the sludge runs back into the valve cover, if it does drain the oil and check it out, if its only concentrated to the tube id clean it out and hook the pcv system back up, to see if that changes anything.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #36
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfulrelations View Post
i mean dont get me wrong i can be heagasket problems if i were op i would pull the tube off of the valve cover and check it out to see if the sludge runs back into the valve cover, if it does drain the oil and check it out, if its only concentrated to the tube id clean it out and hook the pcv system back up, to see if that changes anything.
the reason I am suggesting extreme prejudice is that in all the things I've done to my poor daytona engine, including running the valve cover to the atmsophere through a cheap filter for 10k miles, the only time I have ever seen milkshake was when there was a serious problem (hole in the freshly machined block). Given all the times I've taken that engine apart and slapped it back together, and done all kinds of sloppy work and manipulations (in traditional TD style)...ive just never seen that goop except for that one time. All the other times its dark oil everywhere, never a drop of milkshake in the valve cover, dipstick, PCV tubing, nowhere...

some other people on here have suggested some very good tests..like the coolant pressure test, oil draining, valve cover removal..etc..you can get to the bottom of this with certainty at least..
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #37
We'll do it live!

My Ride: 91 Spirit/89 Daytona
Engine: 2.5 T2ish/2.2 T2

itsbudda is keeping the peace
My theory, it's a mixture of the oil blowing out of the hose mixing with condensation inside the unnecessary long pcv hose. It has what, 2 feet of not engine, that's always just open to outside atmosphere for the oil to linger and travel through before dripping.

But definitely drain your oil and check it. I'd be astonished if you haven't by now and are still driving it.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
Garrett Booster

My Ride: Kia Rio/ 90 Spirit
Engine: 2.2

Mr. Stroker is keeping the peace
Well for those of you who want to modify your pcv system get a PVC heater off the 98 intrepid 2.7l and just find a way to plumb it in. I'm not sure on the year but The newer Sebring 2.7 has and electronic pcv heater. This gets rid of most condensation
Old 01-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #39
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1996 Dodge Stratus
Engine: 2.4l DOHC 10.5-1

limestrat is keeping the peace
Looks like blow by to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.