HELP! Engine cuts out after fillup - NAJ!!! - Page 4 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #46
Re: HELP! Engine cuts out after fillup - NAJ!!!  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
I can get you diagnostics for the body and communication code but not until Wednesday, working open to close Monday and Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #47
[X]treme Aggression

My Ride: Spirit R/T
Engine: T3, Alky+Holset he351cw
1/4: 0.000

[X]treme R/T is keeping the peace
so yeah, when i change the plugs and take the throttle body off and give it a complete cleaning, ill reply back with the results because i read in multiple forums that bad plugs cause feedback to the pcm causing this issue.

in one of them a dodge specific mechanic spent 30 hours of diagnostic testing on a clients car that was having the same exact issue i was, and he changed everything the from steering sensor, tps, coils, injectors, cam position, crank position, pcm, canbus 1 and 2, pcm and the accelerator pedal sensor and it stil had the issue.

he said all it ended up being was the spark plugs. i read the thread at work and cant remember it 100% but he said something about when the factory copper plugs start to die out / before they actually missfire, that they cause a high resistance in the coil and it feedsback to the pcm causing the problem.

in my hemi / all the hemi's, one big coil controls both of the plugs per cylinder, so it kinda makes sense..

any thoughts on this / ever come across something like that?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #48
[X]treme Aggression

found this also

*Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Intermittent Engine Die Out*
Customer may experience a die out, stall condition at any speed while driving or while at a stop. The engine usually restarts right away on a crank attempt. The symptoms may also be described as the engine appearing to lose power with a report that it restarts by itself. They may also be described as a missing, bucking or hesitation. Symptoms may also be accompanied by a MIL on with DTCs set. The actual DTCs may vary, however P0688 - ASD Relay Sense Circuit Low is usually set in PCM with possible power-up-at-speed or loss of communication DTCs set in various modules.

*Diagnosis:*
The only sure way to diagnose this condition is to capture the event with the data recorder. Graphs of some or all PCM data items during the event will usually indicate a loss of PCM "consciousness" or
communication represented in blank data for a given time on the graph.

Repair Procedure:
If the above conditions are present, inspect all spark plugs and coils for damage, signs of arcing or other abnormalities. If nothing is noticeable, replace all spark plugs and retest for the condition. If the condition is still present, start by replacing one coil. If the condition is still present, continue moving that new coil around to the other cylinders to substitute for the other coils in a process of elimination until the condition is no longer present. Replace the last coil that was substituted for just prior to the elimination of the condition.

NOTE: BE SURE REPLACEMENT SPARK PLUGS ARE O.E.M. THERE HAVE BEEN INSTANCES WHERE AFTERMARKET PLUGS ARE MARKEDLY DIFFERENT THAN OEM SPARK PLUGS. (FIG 1.) PARTS AND ARE PROPER FOR YOUR APLICATION. CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN DURING SPARK PLUG INSTALLATION TO REDUCE THE CHANCE OF DAMAGE TO ANY PLUG INSTALLED AND TO KEEP NEW PLUG INSULATORS CLEAN.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #49
NAJ
Just A Guy

The only thing I ever came across that was similar was GM cars with distributorless ignition/waste spark ignition.
Since 2 plugs were fired simulaneously (one - and one +)if an ignition wire had excessive resistance or went open it was easier for the current to flow back to the coil pack and ground thru the - side ground.
This would cause the coil pack to fail and it would damage the ignition module that the coil pack was bolted to resulting in a no start condition.

Replacing your plugs is a cheap repair try to see if it corrects your issue.
From working on Jeeps for 15 years i can tell you the average life of a Champion Copper plug is about 25,000 miles.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #50
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
The only thing I ever came across that was similar was GM cars with distributorless ignition/waste spark ignition.
Since 2 plugs were fired simulaneously (one - and one +)if an ignition wire had excessive resistance or went open it was easier for the current to flow back to the coil pack and ground thru the - side ground.
This would cause the coil pack to fail and it would damage the ignition module that the coil pack was bolted to resulting in a no start condition.

Replacing your plugs is a cheap repair try to see if it corrects your issue.
From working on Jeeps for 15 years i can tell you the average life of a Champion Copper plug is about 25,000 miles.
yeah and the recomended replacement is 30k miles.. lol

yeah i get the plugs in tomorrow or the following day, ill update on the results.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #51
[X]treme Aggression

put new plugs in, and cleaned the throttle body.. TB was caked in a thick layer of carbon /sludge

took it for a spin, runs better, sounds better, more power, and no more cut out issue!!!!

its gone completely and runs like a champ

pic of my throttle body before i cleaned it

wrong plugs were in / pulled out e3's / put in new factory oem champion copper plus's

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #52
NAJ
Just A Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.