HELP! Engine cuts out after fillup - NAJ!!! - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
HELP! Engine cuts out after fillup - NAJ!!!  
[X]treme Aggression

My Ride: Spirit R/T
Engine: T3, Alky+Holset he351cw
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

[X]treme R/T is keeping the peace
Ever since lunch at work today when i went to go get some food, and filled my car up with gas (completely full),, my car has been acting a bit retarded. Whether in manumatic mode or just in regular auto, and with and without traction control on; when i really get on the throttle, the car falls on its face hard, the dash dings / beeps, and the check engine light comes on for a split second and then its gone and the engine starts up again automatically and it drives like normal again / no engine light on / like nothing ever happend

I ran my actron plus scanner model CP9580 and it gives zero codes.

It happens every time i get on the throttle hard and the closest thing that i can relate it too is when i boost my spirit r/t out of my ecu and map range and it hits fuel cutoff / sends the map sensor signal to the ecu for overboost protection. but the thing is / my 5.7 hemi isnt boosted (yet :P)

my car is a 2006 hemi r/t 5.7l rwd. with zero mods minus a reso delete and k&n intake

the car drives perfectly normal / doesnt cutout when driving it normally, with cruise on at 70mph, ideling, starting up, etc, ONLY when accelerating heavily

i know there is an issue when overfilling on the newer vehicles but everything im reading about overfilling is that raw fuel gets in the evap system causing hesitation or stalls at idle / when slowing down or starting / failing to start... I have found nothing about heavy or WoT acceleration stalls.

ran it with and without gascap on / problem persists.

grrrrr its aggravating when i actually fill the car all the way up for once and it starts doing this crap and gives zero codes......

anyone got an idea?
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Re: HELP! Engine cuts out after fillup - NAJ!!!  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
There are no TSB's related to your issue other than "Difficult To Fill Tank".

Fuel Pressure is the first thing I would be checking.

Know anybody with a Chrysler StarScan or Snap-On Modis?

Have you tried other forums related to your car for the same symptom's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1986 Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2l T3DOHC

turboshelbys is keeping the peace
I seen something like this happen on the srt-4's. when filled to the very tippytop, they will stumble and miss until the fuel level goes down. I think it has something to do with a venting issue...... but just a hypothesis and not a conclusion...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ View Post
There are no TSB's related to your issue other than "Difficult To Fill Tank".

Fuel Pressure is the first thing I would be checking.

Know anybody with a Chrysler StarScan or Snap-On Modis?

Have you tried other forums related to your car for the same symptom's?
of course there are no tsb's....and you cant change the rollover valve in the tank cuz its molded to it, you have to get an entirely new tank. so stupid

yeah i got it posted up on chargerforums.. but no luck cuz my issue is different cuz my car only cuts out on heavy acceleration vs everyone elses is on starting / at idle / etc....

its not rpm related either cuz i can take it right to redline just fine at moderate acceleration.

separate note; is there something i can cap off / vac lines on purge solenoid and it still run fine? i dont care for the emissions system at all and dont live in a emissions regulated county so if i can do away with the entire evap system i will...

dont know anyone with a starscan.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
I'd pull the evap lines and see if they're flooded with gas first

- includeing the charcoal can if they still use one

- I'd also wonder about the gas - that usually would be the first thing to cross my mind if I had issues right after leaveing a gas station after filling right up - especially if it were a station I didn't use regularly

we had a station here with a service shop that was run by bikers back in the early 80's
- they dumped everything from the service shop that was drained from cars into the holding tanks and then pumped it into cars with the gas

- water in station's tanks maybe ?? - always a good idea to use only newer stations that you know have had the storage tanks reciently installed under them

If you don't have the time or the money to do it right the first time , How the hell are you gonna get it right the second time ?
EH
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
I'd pull the evap lines and see if they're flooded with gas first

- includeing the charcoal can if they still use one

- I'd also wonder about the gas - that usually would be the first thing to cross my mind if I had issues right after leaveing a gas station after filling right up - especially if it were a station I didn't use regularly

we had a station here with a service shop that was run by bikers back in the early 80's
- they dumped everything from the service shop that was drained from cars into the holding tanks and then pumped it into cars with the gas

- water in station's tanks maybe ?? - always a good idea to use only newer stations that you know have had the storage tanks reciently installed under them

yeah it was the first time i ever put gas in at the mobile one by work. i usually get gas at the mobile near my home and never had problems.

imma run it down to 1/4 tank and then refil with my usual fuel and see how it goes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Garrett Booster

ohnotagain is keeping the peace
dump a bottle of heet in it. the methanol will allow the water in the fuel to mix and be burned.do not use octane booster, just heet. if that doesnt make it run halfway normal then you might need to change the fuel filter. sounds 100% like a fuel related problem since it happened right after a fill up at an unfamiliar gas station.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnotagain View Post
dump a bottle of heet in it. the methanol will allow the water in the fuel to mix and be burned.do not use octane booster, just heet. if that doesnt make it run halfway normal then you might need to change the fuel filter. sounds 100% like a fuel related problem since it happened right after a fill up at an unfamiliar gas station.
did that already, heet and lucas injector cleaner
Old 01-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
[X]treme Aggression

update!

when going wide open throttle on slick pavement and kicking the backend out and having fun, it doesnt hesitate/stall out and turn back on at all but sometimes it will ding at me.

does this help narrow things down at all?

i was thinking it may have been throttle position sensor rheostat issue but seems how i can successfully jam the throttle and not have an issue as long as im breaking traction, it could be other things.

still, no codes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
NAJ
Just A Guy

Which model Actron scanner do you have?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

The days of guessing on diagnostic issues are over.
Unfortunately on todays cars all systems are integrated and work together, removing or compromising one system only creates problems with other systems and todays cars require the proper diagnostic equipment to diagnose problems.

Right now you need to connect a fuel pressure gauge, tape it to the windshield and go for a ride to see if fuel pressure stays in specs when the problem is present.
Fuel pressure is 59 PSI +/- 5 PSI.

You need a scanner that will give you datastream and and take snapshots of sensor values when the problem occurs.
The Actron Plus CP9580A will read, record, and play back live sensor data.

Without knowing fuel pressure and what is going on with the powertrain controls when the problem occurs you are pi**ing in the wind.

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
NAJ
Just A Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [X]treme R/T View Post
update!

when going wide open throttle on slick pavement and kicking the backend out and having fun, it doesnt hesitate/stall out and turn back on at all but sometimes it will ding at me.

does this help narrow things down at all?

i was thinking it may have been throttle position sensor rheostat issue but seems how i can successfully jam the throttle and not have an issue as long as im breaking traction, it could be other things.

still, no codes
No traction = no load.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
No traction = no load.
i have the actron 9580, not the 9580A.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
NAJ
Just A Guy

Start by checking fuel pressure and if you eliminate fuel delivery as an issue we will go from there.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
[X]treme Aggression

Quote:
Which model Actron scanner do you have?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

The days of guessing on diagnostic issues are over.
Unfortunately on todays cars all systems are integrated and work together, removing or compromising one system only creates problems with other systems and todays cars require the proper diagnostic equipment to diagnose problems.

Right now you need to connect a fuel pressure gauge, tape it to the windshield and go for a ride to see if fuel pressure stays in specs when the problem is present.
Fuel pressure is 59 PSI +/- 5 PSI.

You need a scanner that will give you datastream and and take snapshots of sensor values when the problem occurs.
The Actron Plus CP9580A will read, record, and play back live sensor data.

Without knowing fuel pressure and what is going on with the powertrain controls when the problem occurs you are pi**ing in the wind.
how exactly will that work, cuz the car shuts completely off, and then comes back on.. it doesnt hesitate or stumble first, its just off... so im assuming ill read zero pressure when that happens, right?

if so, i dont see how that will diagnose anything ><

if there was a hesitation or stumble before it shut off i could see the pressure drop or something, but with it being instant / like you turn the key off and then back on, i dont think ill get an accurate assesment of it. ill try it once i get a day off work once but im not to optimistic about it solving much cuz if there was fuel pressure issue, im sure id be thrown a code for fuel pressure or misfire of some sort.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
NAJ
Just A Guy

Is this your scanner?
If so it says it has Record and Playback of Live Engine Data.

ActronŽ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.