2.2 starter - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
2.2 starter  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: shelby daytona's
Engine: 2.2 turbo
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

zuke is keeping the peace
Which is the best aftermarket starter to buy for my 2.2 daytona? I have a pretty new one on it-the bosch model and every time it rains that piece of crap goes clickity click and won't turn over. What is the best brand or version to buy to replace mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
Re: 2.2 starter  
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 1989 Turbo Caravan
Engine: 2.5L TIII DOHC
1/4: 12.570

turbovanman is ready to make a name for oneself
Find the Nippodenso starter, its a bolt in, the soleniod is down low and she's compact. Rockauto lists both starter, Bosch and Nippo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Level 4 Supporter

My Ride: Daytona Shelby VNT
Engine: 2.2

TurboDodge is keeping the peace
I have never had the described problem with Bosch starters. They have always been reliable starters in my vehicles. But I have used a couple other brands with good results as well. Better luck with new, not reman's.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
TD New Guy

My Ride: 90 DaytonaShelbyVNT
Induct: S/C

Acem is keeping the peace
I think you have some other issue than the starter. The TD starters tend to be very reliable in my experience. Be sure to check everything around the starter (wires, exhuast leaks, oil leaks, interface with bellhousing/flywheel, etc). When starters fail repeatedly there is usually another problem causing it. Thx-Ace
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
get a bosch, nippendenso's are junk, been through 2-3 of them on my daytona then said the hell with it and put a larger bosch starter that i had sitting on my shelf from my turismo on and so far no issues what so ever
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Level 2 Supporter

Engine: TII 2.2

going4speed is keeping the peace
I would throw a starter relay on the thing first. $10 well spent. Plus replacing the starter on a TD is no picnic. At least it sucked on my omni.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #7
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 1989 Turbo Caravan
Engine: 2.5L TIII DOHC
1/4: 12.570

turbovanman is ready to make a name for oneself
Bosch starters don't like heat, make sure you have some form of heat shield in place, DEI makes a nice blanket that you can wrap around the starter when its bolted in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
get a bosch, nippendenso's are junk, been through 2-3 of them on my daytona then said the hell with it and put a larger bosch starter that i had sitting on my shelf from my turismo on and so far no issues what so ever
Nippo's are not junk, maybe its the brand your getting, that's all I use, tired of burning up Bosch junk.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
^^ give it time you will,
Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '87 Plymouth Horizon
Engine: Turbo II Intercooled

TheCanadian007 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuke View Post
Which is the best aftermarket starter to buy for my 2.2 daytona? I have a pretty new one on it-the bosch model and every time it rains that piece of crap goes clickity click and won't turn over. What is the best brand or version to buy to replace mine?
From the sounds of it I would wager a battery or wiring issue is your problem and not the starter. She's up high under the exhaust manifold; not exactly a place where they can get wet easily. Check your battery connections and the relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDodge View Post
I have never had the described problem with Bosch starters. They have always been reliable starters in my vehicles. But I have used a couple other brands with good results as well. Better luck with new, not reman's.
+1 for brand new (if available) over reman. I prefer the smaller, more moder design of the Nippondenso units over the Bosch, but that being said I've never had issues with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92TurboTona View Post
^^ give it time you will,
I'm with Simon on this one; it sounds like you had bad luck with a particular brand.

Cheers, TheCanadian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.