Pulling the Engine - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
Pulling the Engine  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1985 Dodge Charger
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

'85 Charger is keeping the peace
I need to pull the engine out of my '85 Shelby Charger to replace all of the engine gaskets. Is it easier to pull the engine and transaxle out together? What is the best way to go about pulling the engine?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Re: Pulling the Engine  
Garrett Booster

ohnotagain is keeping the peace
if all you're doing is replacing gaskets there is no need to pull the engine. every gasket and seal can be replaced with the engine still in the car. the only one that will be a pain is if you are replacing the rear main seal as the trans will need to be pulled to gain access to the seal. but if the rear main isnt leaking dont mess with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
TD New Guy

The engine doesn't need to come out???? I have to replace all of the seals, especially the rear main. So the transmission is all that needs to come out? That would make everything so much easier!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Level 2 Supporter

Engine: TII 2.2

going4speed is keeping the peace
If I were replacing all the seals and gaskets I would pull the whole motor. Just from a cleanliness point of view. YMMV.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1985 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.5L

JCTurbo is keeping the peace
Getting that transmission out without removing the engine is a pain. Trust me, I was dumb enough to try that...
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Town & Country wa

jordensk is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTurbo View Post
Getting that transmission out without removing the engine is a pain. Trust me, I was dumb enough to try that...
Hmmm I can drop an auto in about 2 hours with hand tools, floor jack, n handyman jack. Never tried a stick tho. Don't see it being any harder.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
The easiest way to drop the tranny on the L-body may be to loosen and remove the front cross member bolts and only loosen the rears enough so that the member come down in the front several inches. This makes the job of re-installing the tranny a lot easier. Otherwise, the member gets in the way during re-installation making it a real bear if you don't have enough jacks and a truck load of patience. The diff portion of the tranny will be hitting the member at the bobble strut/dog bone mount. If you let the member down too far, you will also have to re-insert the steering shaft in the steering rack knuckle. Its not so hard if you inch the member up a little at a time, check the joint, try to position it, raise it a bit more, check position, adjust if needed, raise some more till it has slid about 1/2" into place, then you are home free. It helps to have a helper when doing this job. I have (HAD) to R&R these trannys a number of times and I never use anything more than common hand tools, a piece of plywood about 24" square and a floor jack. I place the wood between the tranny and the jack, so that the bell housing and the diff are on the wood. Once the tranny is unbolted (auto) or slid to the drivers side and off the input shaft, it is an easy matter to just lower the tranny a few inches at a time while moving it towards the front of the car...that is to clear the subframe/crossmember. The mot important part of the operation is to have the bellhousing and the diff resting on the wood and have the center of the jack in just the rights spot so it is for all practical purposes balancing on the wood all by itself. Especially important when re-installing.

GO SLOW, BE CAREFUL. ITS NOT FOR THE WEAK AT HEART OR THE CARELESS...EVEN THEN.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1985 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.5L

JCTurbo is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILIKESHELBYS View Post
The easiest way to drop the tranny on the L-body may be to loosen and remove the front cross member bolts and only loosen the rears enough so that the member come down in the front several inches. This makes the job of re-installing the tranny a lot easier. Otherwise, the member gets in the way during re-installation making it a real bear if you don't have enough jacks and a truck load of patience. The diff portion of the tranny will be hitting the member at the bobble strut/dog bone mount. If you let the member down too far, you will also have to re-insert the steering shaft in the steering rack knuckle. Its not so hard if you inch the member up a little at a time, check the joint, try to position it, raise it a bit more, check position, adjust if needed, raise some more till it has slid about 1/2" into place, then you are home free. It helps to have a helper when doing this job. I have (HAD) to R&R these trannys a number of times and I never use anything more than common hand tools, a piece of plywood about 24" square and a floor jack. I place the wood between the tranny and the jack, so that the bell housing and the diff are on the wood. Once the tranny is unbolted (auto) or slid to the drivers side and off the input shaft, it is an easy matter to just lower the tranny a few inches at a time while moving it towards the front of the car...that is to clear the subframe/crossmember. The mot important part of the operation is to have the bellhousing and the diff resting on the wood and have the center of the jack in just the rights spot so it is for al practical purposes balancing on the wood all by itself. Especially important when re-installing.

GO SLOW, BE CAREFUL. ITS NOT FOR THE WEAK AT HEART OR THE CARELESS...EVEN THEN.
What he said. It's not that it's auto vs stick. It's the fact that L-bodies are so small.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
TD New Guy

So, before we dug into removing the engine we found that the cam seal had popped out and the valve cover had no gasket. That's where the leak was coming from. We put the cam seal back in and we replaced the valve cover gasket. With that fixed, the leak migrated down to the head gasket. This car has tremendous oil pressure.
So my question now is, to replace the head gasket, should I pull the motor, or should I leave it in? What is the easiest way to replace the head gasket? And since this motor was not maintained by it's previous owner, should I just replace all of the gaskets anyway? This is a Shelby Turbo 2.2L '85
Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
The head and turbo can come off as a unit typically that is the easiest way to do the head gasket. I would suggest using a Mopar Performance head gasket (006 I believe is the end of the part #) and you might as well replace the head bolts (they stretch when used) w/MP replacements or upgrade to the ARP head bolts OR studs. Be aware that early engines are 10mm bolts and later are 11mm. You can easily tap a 10mm hole to be an 11mm hole. I've done it more than once, many others have. While the head is off, might as well check it for flatness, you can do this with a good quality straight edge and a feeler gauge assortment. If the head is not quite flat it will need to be shaved and you should tell the machinist it is for a turbo application and that you want the absolute minimum removed to get it in spec again. Note that some of the manifold bolts go directly into the water jacket so those bolts should have sealer applied before installation. Once the head is back on and bolted in place, then the next most critical point will be to be positive you get the cam timing straight the FIRST time. Get it right and startup will be easy, get it wrong and you can spend a lot of time trying to fix stuff that is not broken in your efforts to get it to idle or to make good power.

Of course, when you pull the head, all the oil and coolant will get contaminated and must be replaced.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1983 Dodge omni
Engine: 2.2l non turbo
Induct: N/A

bulldog565 is keeping the peace
Also please get an engine hoist when removing I had bought mine for $100 and it was worth the buy because I saves a lot of time and in the end it's the safest way to do it I removed my engine with a 2 ton jack before I had a hoist and ended up like una's YouTube video but I had my toe under the car while removing luckly I had steel toes on. They were dented but saved my foot
Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
TD New Guy

That is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you so much!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Induct: N/A

83scamp is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTurbo View Post
I did a tranny swap in my L-body in an afternoon. Went from a 4 speed to a 5 speed. Drove it around the block that evening. Key is to remove the driver side tranny mount, and pull the bolt from the front mount & bobble strut so it can pivot on the passenger mount.

Also, it's easiest to drop it all out the bottom. I wouldn't even attempt to pull the engine out the top.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
Level 2 Supporter

Engine: TII 2.2

going4speed is keeping the peace
How do you get the car high enough to clear the engine and support the engine at the same time?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
It doesn't need to be really high.

Last edited by tryingbe; 03-08-2013 at 03:30 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.