Is my trans dead ? - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
Re: Is my trans dead ?  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas
1/4: 0.000

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
What do you mean with "The auto driveline will not have the *bobble strut* that the manual trans makes use of"
what is the bobble strut ?
It is like a small shock absorber, one side mounts to a bracket on the engine and the other side to the K-frame. Automatic cars don't get them because the transmission shifts smoother than manual cars.

tech help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #17

My Ride: Chrysler ES
Engine: 2.5L intercooled
Induct: Turbo

nvysion is keeping the peace
Yes the filter is new, perhaps I made 600 km since.
The car had 156000km when I bought it, in really bad shape (turbo dead, no air filter, ...)

I changed everything (MP gasket, S60 turbo, MP engine supports, TII radiator and intercooler, ECU, timing belt, ported exhaust manifold, spark plugs, filters, bigger sway bar, rear discs, shocks, 16" wheels, new tires ...)

May be the trans was old and didn't support the bigger turbo ?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedDust View Post
It is like a small shock absorber, one side mounts to a bracket on the engine and the other side to the K-frame. Automatic cars don't get them because the transmission shifts smoother than manual cars.

tech help
OK thanks Richard
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Boostaholic

My Ride: '92 Shadow ES
Engine: 3 litre V6
Induct: N/A

55trucker is keeping the peace
Here's a look at what an original bobble looks like, and where it mounts to the trans & the K-frame.

Bobble strut :: Club Turbo Dodge Quebec
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #20

Thanks
I phoned to a buddy who told me that the filter may be clogged because I don't use the car enough (twice a month).
Old 02-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
Level 2 Supporter

Engine: TII 2.2

going4speed is keeping the peace
this whole thing sounds like junk may have gotten into the valve body. If I were in your shoes I would remove the valve body and take it to a transmission shop for a rebuild and then go from there. Much easier than pulling the trans.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #22

I have a cheetah manual valve body, would it be useful to use it with the problem I have?

Is it easy to install ?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #23
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
May be the trans was old and didn't support the bigger turbo ?
Possibly, but maybe the transmission was just old and tired from the start, you'll never really know. I have heard that the automatic transmissions are limited in how much boost you can run, but I have also heard that they can be modified to work with higher boost.

I don't know enough about it, but I think most of the modifications are dome to the valve body and the servo(s), if you find someone that sells these modified valve bodies it would be a LOT easier to have that shipped to France than an entire transmission, the other parts you'll need are high performance clutches, again, much easier to ship than an entire transmission. Then you have to either rebuild it yourself or find a local shop willing to do it.

If you have a spare transmission you could use that one as the rebuild, while using the current transmission until the other one is finished - assuming the current transmission is still working enough.

You could use the manual valve body, but I don't know how well it will be for daily use, I'd expect your fuel economy to suffer a bit.

Personally, I'd start gathering parts to have the extra transmission rebuilt.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
I phoned to a buddy who told me that the filter may be clogged because I don't use the car enough (twice a month).
I have "heard" people say not to change transmission fluid because the new fluid loosens up old settled junk inside and clogs things up even more. It could just be an old wife's tale because people don't understand how the transmissions work, or maybe it was true of the older transmissions but not so much anymore, or maybe it's 100% true - I don't know. but for the price of a new filter, gasket and fluid I'd give it a shot. Don't think it could make anything worse.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #25

Thanks Richard
I'm going to follow your advice and find the parts I need when I know them.

After I leaved my job, I was so angry that, even with the night falling, I ran the car.
Once again I could not use the reverse, but once the car was outside I checked the fluid level as it was suggested me here and it was low, my mistake.
Then I drove the car and didn't experienced the problems I had.
In a few days I will check for the reverse again.

I still think however that my trans has a problem, since it is not the first case that the reverse doesn't pass.

Next days will show, if things go better.

My cars seems to collect all the problems : sunday when I started them, I had fuel leaks in both (not at the same place though).
The one I'm talking about has also an oil leak, and sunday I drove it with a very low oil level. I really hope I didn't brake something (crank journals ?) inside the engine.

Thanks all for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
slipping, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.