Alternator smoking hot! help! - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
Alternator smoking hot! help!  
Boostaholic

1/4: 0.000

taurin2 is keeping the peace
after replacing the fusible link for my alternator and getting a brand new alternator, i took the shadow for a test run. I only went about two miles and came home and popped the hood to find a small amount of smoke coming from my shiny new alternator. I spit on my finger and tapped the fan blades and pulley on it and they both sizzled instantly!! this was after running the car for just a few minutes! I beleive i have the correct alternator, but i cannot figure out why it is getting so hot so fast. The only other explanation i could come up with was that i spliced the new fusible link into the wrong cable. If anyone is familiar with this area of the electronics, there are two red cables which go into a black plastic peice, and on the other side, multiple fusible links exiting to different wires. I spliced the new link directly into the larger of the two red cables, assuming it was correct, however maybe i was wrong? can anyone tell me which of the two cables i should have spliced this fusible link into? i need a car and cant drive it around the block without it getting hot enough to burn my hand... thanks

1991 Plymouth Colt - FOR SALE - I need to get rid of this thing... 102K Miles, AM/FM, 4spd, 1.5L, 2 dr red hatchback, good gas mileage? $500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 05:15 PM   #2

Boostaholic

Ttt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2004, 06:02 PM   #3

Boostaholic

well i tried hooking the fusible link up to the smaller cable but the alt still got really hot. this leads me to beleive that maybe i do have the wrong alternator?
Old 07-25-2004, 06:29 PM   #4

Boostaholic

OK so i ran the car for a while without the fusible link in place off of my old car with jumper cables and it didnt heat up the slightest bit. is it possible that the fusible link isn't the correct size? ...hopefully i wont be the only one contributing to this thread :) i need some help! come on its sunday, i know most of you guys aren't at work!
Old 07-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #5

Boostaholic

My Ride: 2000 GMC Sierra
Engine: 5.3L V8
Induct: N/A

cybermrc is keeping the peace
What is the charging voltage?
Is your battery any good?
Old 07-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #6

Boostaholic

battery is new..havent run it long enough to charge it tho...it gets too hot. also, i havent soldered the link in yet, i dont know if this would make a difference or not.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:33 PM   #7

Boostaholic

gakali is keeping the peace
Sounds like you may have a bad alternator. When you say brand new, do you mean brand new or remaufactured/rebuilt? Most cheaper reman alternators and starters use offshore junk parts.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:36 PM   #8

Boostaholic

remanufatured...it works...just gets damn hot when its hooked up. i figured it was just something with the fusible i burned.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:49 PM   #9

Boostaholic

gakali is keeping the peace
Make sure its not charging over 15 volts and that big pos. terminal on the alternator and the battery terminal have good continuity. If all that OK you may have a bad alt. Usually red hot alternators are defective.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:12 AM   #10

Boostaholic

alright thanks. im gunna test that out today and then ill try a junkyard alt i have lying around somewhere.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:00 PM   #11

Boostaholic

i hooked up the fusible link and replaced the alt with the old one from the junkyard and it again got very hot at the pulley...evaporate-spit temp from idling for just a few minutes...somebody please help
Old 07-26-2004, 03:50 PM   #12

TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 89 Spirit ES 3.0
Engine: NA 3.0
Induct: N/A

87turbodance is keeping the peace
Sounds like you definately have short somewhere. The large red wire from the alternator goes directly to the positive (+) terminal on the battery. Try replacing that wire with some 4 or 8 gauge car audio wire or something. The other smaller wires on the alternator control the "field" The computer basically pulses the field on an off to control how much the alternator charges. Try replacing that one larger wire then see what happens and let us know.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #13

Boostaholic

well i replaced the alt with one i got from the junkyard. This alt doesnt get as hot as the reman'ed one, but it doesnt charge really either...the battery gauge doesnt go down, but it just stays between the first and second ticks moving slightly down or up every once in a while. dunno what that means or what to do.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #14

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1987 Shelby CSX #694
Engine: 1987 2.2L
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 14.737

minimopar has really helped outminimopar has really helped outminimopar has really helped out
Get a real volt meter and take some measurements. You should see above 14V of charging voltage. If it is higher than 15V, something is causing the system to overcharge. If you are not getting a fault code to that effect, then the computer thinks everything is great, which usually indicates a grounding problem at the fuel rail (ground strap, etc) or a bad connection at the LM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.