PT Cruiser ignition key held hostage - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Turbo Dodge Help

Turbo Dodge Help Urgent help when something goes wrong with your Dodge and you can't figure out what the problem is. Troubleshooting help and the place to post when you're stuck with a broken car and have to get to work the next day.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
PT Cruiser ignition key held hostage  
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89GTC,85LancerES
1/4: 0.000

Packrat is keeping the peace
My mother just bought a 05 PT yesterday and there is some kind of security feature that traps the key in the ignition. I am not sure what this is all about or how she managed to do it.
The owners manual makes a small reference about it and then tells you to take it in for service. (yeah right) Anyhow I have tried repeatedly to make sure it is all the way in park and the steering wheel pull routine to release tension etc...
This is absurd....... You can start the car and drive it, but it wont release the key. Meanwhile it sits in front of the house with the key in it waiting for someone to come and drive it away.

Anybody ever hear of this?
How do I get the key out?
Why does it do this? (so it does not happen again)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 04:05 PM   #2

Boostaholic

Casper is keeping our cars running
I had an '01 PT, never had that problem. However, I did have a situation where even turning the key "off" would not shut the engine off. Ended up needing a new ignition switch.

It seems like I remember that in order to get the key out, you have to push it in while turning it. I assume you've tried that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #3

Boostaholic

Tried the push it in routine and every other thing i can imagine. The switch is not broken that I can tell.
This thing is brand new. The owners manual states that if the gear selector is not fully in park and the release button fully popped back out that if you try and remove the key it will lock the key in place and you must take it in for service.
There has to be a hidden button or something that will release it. It is stuck in the first click forward position and wont go back into the position that you can take the key out.
This is frickin retarded!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I am pissed? I have been sitting here all day guardin the new car so no one will steal it. I have better things to do.
The way the owners manual is worded is that this is some sort of safety feature or theft deterrent.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #4

TD New Guy

My Ride: 84' Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: Turbo

da84tona is keeping the peace
theft deturant? didnt you just say you can drive it around? lol thats retarded.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #5

Boostaholic

Problem Solved.
YES it is very retarted. Figured it out by trial and error. If you try and remove the key with it not being fully in park the key does not come out, pretty standard stuff there.

Here is the clincher, on this car it will permanently lock the safety interlock, the cable with the solenoid in it that runs between the shifter and steering column.

So your key is stuck in the ignition and anybody can now drive off with your car.

This is what I did to "fix" it. Turned the key as far to the off position as it would go, then pressed and held the odometer button while turning the key to the on position and let the computer go through the self diagnostic routine, closed the door and then the key magically released.

What a POS design that is. Hence the reason I sold all my late model stuff and replaced it with "old junk", IE no computers taking my keys hostage or tring to out think me.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #6

Boostaholic

Casper is keeping our cars running
Glad you got it out.

Just don't lose that key....they have the transponder in them and the car won't start w/o it. ;)
Old 09-17-2005, 07:30 PM   #7

Boostaholic

Here we go again......... Only this time "pulling the codes" does not reset it. It refuses to give me the key.
So here I sit looking out the window watching the car, again. @#$!

Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on here, and what needs to be done to get the key out?
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #8

Boostaholic

My Ride: 1987 Shelby GLHS
Engine: 2.2 turbo
Induct: Turbo

ReliantK is keeping the peace
take it back to the dealer and start flipping out, they HAVE to fix it for free it's a brand new car
Old 09-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #9

Boostaholic

Did just that. I was not about to sit here all weekend having it sit in the driveway with the keys in it.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:34 PM   #10

TD New Guy

pmpala96 is keeping the peace
Had that happen on my ram before... Turns out they gave me the wrong keys. They give u 2 sets? If they did try the other one!
Old 09-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #11

Boostaholic

They only gave her the one set and were "looking" for the other set. At this point it is sitting at the dealer's lot and I dont want to see it again until it works correctly.
And if they try to give me a bill for this..................

Anyway, the point here was to find out if there was a known problem etc. I'll update this when I get the car back and let everyone know what the final result is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.