Turbo Dodge Forums banner

boost level/parts failure?

696 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  NAJ 
#1 ·
just looking for a general consensus as to what boost levels are attainable before you start breaking many stock parts? I would like to build my 90 Daytona es up but don't want to upgrade any internal motor parts like pistons, rods,head etc. at least not right now, I plan on upgrading turbo, intercooler, ecu,injectors and stuff like that but was curious as to what level of boost I could get away with before major mechanical parts start breaking, thanks Brandon.

#2 ·
you can break stock pistons with the stock turbo, spend time and money on making sure the basics are 100% then add a wide band to monitor air/fuel ratios, then look to upgrade the ecu and such

#3 ·
I plan on making sure everything is 100% before upping anything, obviously not ready yet, but was just looking for a round about poundage of boost that is normally well accepted by most of the stock parts before failure starts happening, I want to build my car but don't want to go into the land of major parts failure and have to replace or upgrade everything, at least not until im ready to upgrade everything, if that makes any sense, if not just disregard this, thanks Brandon

#4 ·
Just so you are aware, detonation/lean A/F/overboost shutdown can damage any engine component regardless of the boost levels.

I am not a performance guru but I would say if done properly you can safely go to the stock boost parameters of 14.5 lbs of boost without issues.
IMO, the stock head gasket will be the weak point as far as the engine is concerned.

If you are looking to go above 2 Bar, read this...
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f62/358228-stage-1-build-thread-getting-20-a.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.