cam timing??? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Question cam timing???  
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1988 Dodge Daytona Z
Engine: 2.2l t2
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

bobjoe is keeping the peace
hey
is there anyway to tell if the cam timing is set right or not? if i remember correctly i think the 1988 2.2l t2 was supposed to have the cam retarted 14 degrees? *thinks* i dont know for sure, but ever since i had the cars head gasket redone shes just not the same, i have a few things i have to figure out, like how to do vacuum lines
just out of interst when i look at the vacuum diagram under the hood there is a line that runs from the air box to the pcv valve, there is a check valve in the line and an orife (sory i dont know how to spell that) but i dont have either one in my car, its just a straight line in, are your cars without it too or no? also when u have the car parkd and u listening under the hood and you rev up the motor a fair bit and instantly drop off do u get a vacuum leak sound as the rpms jump up?
sorry for being a bother
BobJoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #2

Boostaholic

My Ride: 1985 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.2 T2
1/4: 12.600

crazy1eye is keeping the peace
For cam timing alignment = http://www.thedodgegarage.com/timing_belt.html

As for the vacuum lines, the pcv vent hose that go's to the air box from the pcv has no check valve or orifice in-line. Those vacuum diagrams can be tricky to figure out sometimes . The vacuum line that comes from the TB & go's to the vapor canister has a T that go's to the larger vacuum line that go's from the pcv to the intake manifold. Between those 2 T's, there's an orifice & a check valve.

Vacuum diagram = http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/turbo288.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #3

Garrett Booster

My Ride: Shelby Lancer #189
Engine: 2.2L TII (stock)

BigBluOx is keeping the peace
No bother...

I would set the cam timing the way it's supposed to be as long as it's a factory TII http://www.minimopar.net/enginetiming.html

I'd also hit up your local junkyard for those PCV line parts unless you want to go to the catch-can style mod.

It's hard to say on that sound, but I'd go through your vacuum system to make sure there's no leaks. My timing belt tensioner pulley makes a bit of a hissing noise, but it's old and really needs to be replaced (I probably have a vacuum leak too)..

Hope it helps...
Shelby Lancer #189
'86 GLH black
'85 GLH blue
Old 10-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #4

Boostaholic

My Ride: 1985 Shelby Charger
Engine: 2.2 T2
1/4: 12.600

crazy1eye is keeping the peace
Oops!

How come I can't delete this post?

Last edited by crazy1eye; 10-27-2005 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: oops
Old 10-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #5

Hybrid Booster

hey
what is a catch can style thing you are talkin about?
i was just wondering about the timing because everytime i pin it it sounds like its hitting harder that what it used to, its weird but like the esplosion is trying harder to get sumthing done with less results or sumthing, lame as i sound and confused.
i dont know i just want ot get those leaks fixed and a few things so its winter safe and ready.
thanx
BobJoe
Old 10-28-2005, 05:49 PM   #6

Garrett Booster

My Ride: Shelby Lancer #189
Engine: 2.2L TII (stock)

BigBluOx is keeping the peace
Unless you (or somebody) changed the cam pulley type, you should set cam timing to factory spec. If there's a chance the pulley cam combination is not correct (round or square tooth pulley with a cam that came with the opposite type of pulley) - you should only be about 4* off either direction (depending on what you have).

For the PCV/catch can - do a search for pcv catch can - you'll get plenty of results to read over (I don't believe there is a FAQ for this). This is most useful if you have eliminated the stock airbox for a cone filter or other...

Hope it helps
Shelby Lancer #189
'86 GLH black
'85 GLH blue
Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #7

Hybrid Booster

hey
i drove a friend home from work the other night and it was running like its usual self, not bad but i know she should do far better. i dropped off my friend and was heading back and pinned it, the car hasnt run that nice for close to, if not more, than a year. it was soo awsum i had to take a deturn just so i could pin it a couple more times. i was listening to music the first time that i pinned it and i heard the turbo over the radio, just screeming, usually its quiet enough that u have to turn the radio off and open a window to even hear it. not this time tho. *giant grin* also usually it takes a few good seconds for the boost to biuld up on the boost gauge (i dont think its reading right most of the time) but sheesh talk about awsum results, instant and i mean instant boost, as long as the rpms were over 3k then no problemo. so really excited, it hasnt done this since b4 it blew the head gasket, or i owned it. any idea why it only did this once, i took it for a drive and it wouldnt pull the same, just its usual slaker self. i drove the car for about 15 min b4 it started to really run nice, but it started out a slaker and seemed to change its mind part way thro the drive home. very confussing to me, but i really enjoyd that last few minutes of my drive anyways
thanx for any ideas
BobJoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.