What octane do I need in my 03 stratus coupe r/t 3.0 v6? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Red face What octane do I need in my 03 stratus coupe r/t 3.0 v6?  
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

xenium is keeping the peace
What octane do I need in my 03 stratus coupe r/t 3.0 v6?

My choices I think are 85,87,89 and 92/93.

Which does this car need?

If it only needs, say 89, what will putting 93 in it do? Speed it up? Engine longevity?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #2

TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 89 lebaron /shadow
Engine: 2.5 turbo
Induct: Turbo

Turbo-Baron is keeping the peace
I find with higher octane gas comes better performance and better gas milage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2007, 05:14 PM   #3

NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
Use of a higher than recommended octane will not give any performance or mileage increases.Octane rating is the gasolines ability to resist detonation and that is all.Since higher octane gasolines require more heat for the combustion process a vehicle that is not designed for such may develope driveability concerns.
Here is a TSB sent to Chrysler Dealers a few years back on this subject.
14-08-97
SUBJECT: Poor Driveability With High DI (Driveability Index) Fuel
DATE: Nov. 21, 1997
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Long cold start times, warm-up sags, hesitations, and driveway die outs. These symptoms are most noticeable and severe at moderate ambient temperatures between 4 - 27 degrees C (40 - 80 degrees F).

DISCUSSION:
Gasoline with a high Driveability Index (DI) can cause the above described symptoms. DI is a measure of the gasolines total volatility, or tendency to vaporize completely. A high DI number is less volatile than a low DI number. Most premium gasoline sold in the U.S. has a higher (worse) DI index than regular or mid-grade gasoline. Use of premium gasoline is NOT recommended for vehicles designed to run on 87 (R+M)/2 regular or 89 (R+M)/2 mid-grade gasoline. High DI gasolines also cause higher emissions for the same reasons they cause driveability problems.

For vehicles that require an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2, premium is recommended, or possibly required. Using premium fuel with a higher than recommended octane rating is not recommended. Owners who experience fuel related cold start and warm up driveability problems should try a gasoline with the recommended octane rating or different brands of gasoline until they find one that provides good performance.

The octane quality of gasoline is only a measure of its resistance to spark knock. The use of higher than recommended octane gasoline under normal operating conditions does NOT improve startability, idle quality, fuel economy, driveability, acceleration, engine durability, or emissions. In fact, most higher octane gasolines available in the U.S. have higher DI values than regular gasoline. Customers are most likely to experience poor driveability with premium gasoline than with regular.

Some vehicles, such as Viper, Prowler, 5.9L Grand Cherokee, 2.0L Turbo Talon, and 2.0L DOHC Neon have been specifically designed to take advantage of higher octane. These vehicles may have higher compression ratios, and/or more aggressive spark calibrations which provide optimum performance with the specified higher octane. However, other vehicles which are not specifically designed and calibrated to take advantage of higher octane will not benefit from higher octane.

Some vehicles may experience light spark knock in situations such as trailer towing or climbing steep sustained grades. Light knock or "ping" under these conditions is not harmful. However, if the customer is concerned about light knock under these circumstances, the use of 89 (R+M)/2 or even 91 (R+M)/2 premium gasoline may be temporarily warranted. If a vehicle is experiencing heavy spark knock on gasoline with its designed octane rating, this may be an indication of excessive combustion chamber deposits, or some other problem. Combustion chamber deposits can be removed with Mopar Combustion Chamber Conditioner p/n 04318001. Standard diagnostic procedures may help in identifying other potential causes of excessive knock.

Some gasoline marketers may advertise that their premium gasoline contains extra detergent additives. Under provisions of the Clean Air Act, ALL gasoline sold in the U.S. must contain effective deposit control additives. Nevertheless, if fuel injector or intake valve deposits are suspected of contributing to poor performance, occasional use of Mopar Fuel Injector Clean Up p/n 04549613 is a much less expensive way to maintain engine cleanliness than regular use of premium gasoline.

The attached charts (Figure 1 & Figure 2) show the negative effects of high DI fuel as related to customer satisfaction.

If fuel quality is suspected in causing a customers driveability concern, your zone technical office may be able to provide direction on procedures for fuel sample analysis.

POLICY: Information Only
Old 09-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #4

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 86 Daytona TurboZ
Engine: 2.2

rare_ram is keeping the peace
I have an 01 R/T and run regular all the time. The timing is automatically adjusted to compensate. Premium is recomended, but with the price these days it's been a long time since I used it.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #5

TD Hardcore User!

You obiously know what your talking about but my brother and i have tested it with his subaru and my backup car 98 swift. we went from 87 to 89 to 91. My gas milage was quite better with 91 compared to 87. Same results with both the subaru and the swift.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #6

Hybrid Booster

I know they say the HP rating (200) is based on premium fuel. I do think it is true that milage is better with premium but I have never tried to prove or disprove that. Is it enough to justify the price even if it is true? When I first got mine in Oct 2000, I went on a long trip and got 30 MPG on premium, driving on the highway at 85 MPH or was it 80, what ever 10 over is in Alabama. The window sticker said 29 Highway (5 speed).
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM   #7

TD Hardcore User!

I never put anything less then 94 in my baron.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #8

TD New Guy

xenium is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_ram
I have an 01 R/T and run regular all the time. The timing is automatically adjusted to compensate. Premium is recomended, but with the price these days it's been a long time since I used it.

heh, what octane is suggested by the owners manual? i got this car used, didn't come w/ one.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #9

NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
I just looked up your the fuel requirements in Dealer Connect for a 2003 Stratus Coupe w/3.0L and it will run on 87 octane but the use of premium fuel(91octane) is recommended. This should be on your fuel door.It will not allow me to cut and paste.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #10

Hybrid Booster

check out 2gstratus(dot)org if your planning on doing any mods.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #11

Boostaholic

My Ride: '85 Dodge 600 Ragtop
Engine: 2.2 T1

Dodgeboy77 is keeping the peace
I've got an '01 Stratus R/T 3.0. I almost always run it on premium. A couple years ago I was on a trip and tried switching to regular to see if there was a big drop in gas mileage. There wasn't. I got 29-30 on the highway, no matter which fuel I used.

On the other hand, I think it runs a bit smoother at WOT, high-rpm on premium. There's not a big difference, though. I've never noticed any spark knock with the car regardless of fuel. Bill
Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #12

Hybrid Booster

Like I said before, that's because the puter automatically retards the spark to compensate for the lower octane. Making performance lower.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #13

Boostaholic

My Ride: '85 Dodge 600 Ragtop
Engine: 2.2 T1

Dodgeboy77 is keeping the peace
<<Like I said before, that's because the puter automatically retards the spark to compensate for the lower octane. Making performance lower.>>

I realize that. That's why I was surprised that my gas mileage didn't go down when running regular. I figured that the ignition would retard, worsening the mileage.

Bill
Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #14

TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 GT 5spd.Mustang

Redturbotona is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeboy77
<<Like I said before, that's because the puter automatically retards the spark to compensate for the lower octane. Making performance lower.>>

I realize that. That's why I was surprised that my gas mileage didn't go down when running regular. I figured that the ignition would retard, worsening the mileage.

Bill
The computer will only retard the additional timing under load....it knows to or not via a knock sensor.....going down the highway there's no load on the engine (very little) so it's not going to reduce the timing enough to see poor mileage....But if someone did mpg testing with a car on a load-dyno or IDENTICAL take off conditions with different octanes of gas then you would most likely see the difference there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.