V8 turbo, Hemi head or non Hemi? - Page 2 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #16

Super Pope

Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrattiracer
the hemi chamber is actually a rather poor design, but chryco used the term in a very successfull marketing campaign so we are stuck with it.
it is an extremely slow burning design, and the slower the burn, the more chance there is for detonation.
The down side to the combustion chamber is too many CCs, thats why the Pro Stock Hemi and the production Hemi use a modified version of the combustion chamber.

As for all the morons out there that think the design doesn't work with detonation and flame travel better. You kids need to go down to a NHRA legal drag strip and take a good long close look at the MOST POWERFUL PISTON ENGINES ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!! When you fools can come up with a piston engine that makes over 15 HP per CID lets see it. And don't give us anymore crap on how the design doesn't work for boost, fuelers make 43 PSI + and they do it with a Hemi and a dome piston. Anymore BS that can be shoved my way? I love how slow burning causes detonation to, bet you haven't a clue how high octain fuel lowers detonation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #17

Super Pope

V8 turbo, Hemi head or non Hemi?-je_srt_piston2.jpg

One of those horrible really old tech pistons that don't work:)

JE Pistons for the SRT-4
Old 09-23-2007, 10:53 PM   #18

TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92 Duster
Engine: 3.0
1/4: 11.500

Ondonti is keeping our cars runningOndonti is keeping our cars running
Yeah I have no idea how nitromethane engines make 15hp/ci

Sorta like I have no idea how a pentroof head on toluol can make more then 15hp+ PER CUBIC INCH WITHOUT cheater fuel 20 years ago in f1. lol.

Lol ive seen the broken top fuel pistons fron MY machine shops top fuel car (mike strasburg) so I dont need to go to the track anymore often then I already do.

Why dont you call my machine shop and ask them if they think the hemi head is the best way to make power..........or if they do it because thats what the rules demand of them. Same reason they use roots blowers and not screw blowers. Rules.
You might want to read them.

Last edited by Ondonti; 09-24-2007 at 04:30 AM..
Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #19

TD Extreme User!

But I would love to build a hemi turbo engine. I just wont make up things to pretend they are a gift from god.

Built what is in your budget and if you can choose the crossflow head over the wedge, then go for it.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #20

Super Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondonti
Yeah I have no idea how nitromethane engines make 15hp/liter

Sorta like I have no idea how a pentroof head on toluol can make more then 15hp+ liter WITHOUT cheater fuel 20 years ago in f1. lol.

Lol ive seen the broken top fuel pistons fron MY machine shops top fuel car (mike strasburg) so I dont need to go to the track anymore often then I already do.

Why dont you call my machine shop and ask them if they think the hemi head is the best way to make power..........or if they do it because thats what the rules demand of them. Same reason they use roots blowers and not screw blowers. Rules.
You might want to read them.
First, I said 15 HP per CID, not liter

the rules DO NOT DEMAND THE HEMI, it is the best for power. In the 90s a company made a top fuel only 32v 4 cam V8 that was to fight the Chrysler Hemi in fuel. The engine made 3,400 HP at the time and the begining of the season they could only get 3,300 to the ground. Many racers liked the new engine because it lived longer per run. By the end of the season the engine was history as they were getting 3,600 to the ground and the engine couldn't compete anymore inside one season. Even in TA and TAF you can run a Chevy if you want, or anything else. They have to be a 500 CID V8 engine.

Old straight blade Roots blowers don't make 43+ PSI of boost. You claim to go to a machine shop that works on fueler engines and you didn't know they use twin screw blowers? Right! The screw type blowers replaced the old roots style YEARS AGO! The first blowers back in the 50s ran roots from a Diesel GM semi engine, yes they ran blowers on turbos back in the day. Where the name "GMC 6-71" comes from. Even when you buy a new supercharger they don't come with the older style blades anymore, even though the outside looks the same.

Supercharger USA - 340 360 383 440 Chrysler Blower Supercharger Kits for 671 871 1071 1471 Blowers - Superchargers

The 8-71 kit for my challenger, but you can see they don't have the old straight blade design. Even on cheap street / strip blowers.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #21

TD Extreme User!

Its called a typo. My lawnmower also makes 15+hp/liter duh thanks.

ITS A ROOTS BLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is NOT A SCREW BLOWER. I didnt say it was a 1950's roots blower. Its still a roots blower. Twising the lobs on a roots blower (That always had "twin rotors") does not make it a twin screw supercharger!!!!!
Roots efficiency gets better when they are more precisely machined but they are nowhere near twin screw efficiency.

Screw blowers were banned from top fuel.

Top fuel was only making 3000+hp in 1990 anyways.

I should be calling them Lysholm but Im not really into pretending people meant something else and then making an argument about something that was not said.

Hemispherical heads are not the best head design.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 AM   #22

TD Extreme User!

NHRA only allows 2 valve per cylinder engines and as of 2005 only ONE engine configuration is allowed in the rules.

Please stop making things up.

DOHC pentroof top fuel cars were running as late as 1995 until they were banned.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #23
Re: V8 turbo, Hemi head or non Hemi?  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 Daytona TurboZ CS

chilort is keeping the peace
On Moparts.com, there is a member named "Feets" with a 440 twin turbo car. I'd recommend taking a look over there. Not that there aren't any individuals here that have the knowledge, but there are many over there.

Hey, I have to put the plug in. They are the ones that directed me here when I bought my '86 Daytona CS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.