fine wire mesh filter? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
fine wire mesh filter?  
Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1990 Daytona ES
Engine: 3.0L V6
Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.000

roguetrip is keeping the peace
I've ran K&N open element filter in my car off the throttle body, it got horribly dirty just over a few months, I can't even clean it, i've seen some others using a motorcycles ram air intake that just has a wire mesh in it. I was wondering where i could buy some of this wire mesh so i can finish up my CAI. If i can't buy the mesh, where can i find one of those motorcycle intakes? TIA!

Edit, something like this guys setup, but i want to make it funtion in the front nose as a ram air real ram air setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Re: fine wire mesh filter?  
Hybrid Booster

xrattiracer is keeping the peace
if the filter is doing its job, its gonna get dirty, duh. if you put on some other kind of filter that doesnt get as dirty, then its letting that dirt pass into the engine.
you do of course also realize that a reusable air filter is never gonna look like new, even after washing it? it gets stained, and loses the red coloring in the cotton as it is washed. and of course it doesnt have to be pristine clean to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrattiracer View Post
if the filter is doing its job, its gonna get dirty, duh. if you put on some other kind of filter that doesnt get as dirty, then its letting that dirt pass into the engine.
you do of course also realize that a reusable air filter is never gonna look like new, even after washing it? it gets stained, and loses the red coloring in the cotton as it is washed. and of course it doesnt have to be pristine clean to work.
I know about filters gettings dirty, but i've tried recharging this filter, but you can't wash out grim and oil from it, plus i've noticed the filter material is falling apart. At this point i'd rather look for a easier to clean wire mesh filter and use it as part of a ram-air intake.

I've been searching though google but can't really find anything i'm looking for. Looks like just a velocity stack with a fine wire mesh installed.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 92gtc vert
Engine: 2.5 8v
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 9.800

crazymadbastard is keeping the peace
turn in the filter under the 1 million mile guarantee if it is a KN
Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Boostaholic

My Ride: '88 Daytona w/t-tops
Engine: 1.65 TII-3 Cyl-lol

kermit is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
turn in the filter under the 1 million mile guarantee if it is a KN
agreed, or if not, buy one. Yeah the stuff that ends up on the filter would otherwise end up in the engine, and you don't want that.

if you are dead set on the fine screen, have you checked at something like a hardware store that sell wire screen. i don't know how small of mesh they have, but i would def use only wire screen.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit View Post
agreed, or if not, buy one. Yeah the stuff that ends up on the filter would otherwise end up in the engine, and you don't want that.

if you are dead set on the fine screen, have you checked at something like a hardware store that sell wire screen. i don't know how small of mesh they have, but i would def use only wire screen.
Yeah, I bought the K&N filter a couple years ago, but I don't have my receipt of purchase, also they void it if its been used for modifying. I could just buy another filter for about 20'ish and end up in the same boat over time. but i'm just looking into running some piping up to one of my front air dams in the nose on my 90 daytona for a ram air effect, and putting some steel wire mesh of different sizes for protection, like a 10 mesh or so on the nose to help with insects and foreign object, then behind that have the piping covered with a 30-60mesh. I'd also look into one of those AEM water bypass peices so I don't hydrolock my engine
Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Boostaholic

My Ride: '88 Daytona w/t-tops
Engine: 1.65 TII-3 Cyl-lol

kermit is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguetrip View Post
Yeah, I bought the K&N filter a couple years ago, but I don't have my receipt of purchase, also they void it if its been used for modifying. I could just buy another filter for about 20'ish and end up in the same boat over time. but i'm just looking into running some piping up to one of my front air dams in the nose on my 90 daytona for a ram air effect, and putting some steel wire mesh of different sizes for protection, like a 10 mesh or so on the nose to help with insects and foreign object, then behind that have the piping covered with a 30-60mesh. I'd also look into one of those AEM water bypass peices so I don't hydrolock my engine
have you though about making a sealed airbox and running the ram air into that, with a cone KN inside, and then add some mesh on the grill. This way you get the ram air, and it's clean cold air from the front of your car, so you aren't picking up the warm air from behind the radiator that is getting dirt and oil all over your KN? Seams like it would make it last longer, and if you keep the receipt, then if it doesn't, you can just keep exchanging it for new ones.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 Spirit
Engine: 2.5

Anthonytad1985 is keeping the peace
Is this what you are looking for While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

I would stay with the K&N though
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge

joncro55 is keeping the peace
I replaced a similar filter 2 years ago or so, and I ordered some really fine wire mesh here:

Belleville Wire Cloth

They're located in jersey, and they had the really dine grade of mesh that I needed to do the trick. I forget the exact mesh that i needed but I think they called it maybe 100 x 100 wire cloth or something like that. Wasn't too pricey and has withstood the test of time well over the last 2 years.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge

joncro55 is keeping the peace
You can check them out on the web too but I don't have the link.

bwire.com or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.