BOV installation a pictorial FYI - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
BOV installation a pictorial FYI  
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas
1/4: 0.000

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
Just finished up the rearrangement of my BOV installation on the '89 ES, I figured I'd post the pictures because I alway found it helpful to see how other people did theirs so I knew what would work and the various parts I'd need.

This is what the car originally had when I got it....
along with the pipe for the BOV and the cone filter

I didn't like the way the pipes were done, the cuts were rough, the elbows were barely holding onto the pipes and the adapter pipe for the BOV didn't let me put a filter on the exhaust so I made up my own arrangement.....

This worked nice, but I didn't like the cone filter placement, I did a lot research and even wasted some money buying some different parts to try to fit in there so that I could duct the filter to the nose, or the inside the fender or anywhere it would get cool air. I even thought of having an adapter made up put in the nose where the air comes into the SMEC, but that area is real tight, and there is a bunch of other stuff in the way - so even if I did make something that worked it would have had small ducting, which I wasn't too sure about doing either. So I just started thinking about the stock setup, which accomplished all the needed functions, except for the problematic factory BOV. So I started researching more BOVs and came up with this configuration.

The key was finding an adapter for the BOV to make it fit the stock BOV hose. The BOV is a cheapy EBAY, but does the job and is all metal construction (no blown diaphragms). The adapter had to be glued to the BOV (use either epoxy, or RTV or whatever you prefer), and I had to get a 90 fitting for the top of the BOV. Other than that it's a really clean installation, is pretty stealth, very quiet (only slight sound from the BOV can be heard) and will let you run those higher boost levels without blowing out the factory BOV.

So there it is, hope it helps someone some day, I could have saved myself a lot of time and aggravation & quite a few bucks if I had seen something like this when I first decided to start changing things around.

Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: Mitsubishi :: DSM :: Turbo Accessories :: BOV Flanges :: Turbo Smart :: TurboSmart Hose Adapter Fittings
LANCER MIRAGE BOV TURBO BLOW OFF VALVE TYPE H-6 B08 : eBay Motors (item 290373359632 end time Jan-21-10 20:14:33 PST)

And since I titled this a pictorial thread, I'll include the BOV installation on the '89 TII Shelby, easiest way I found to put one in and keep things as stock as possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Re: BOV installation a pictorial FYI  
Mr. Moderator

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.4l
Induct: Turbo

turbokid is keeping the peace
Thats a pretty neat idea. Plus you can take advantage of the stock cold air intake set up vs. running it through the car.
Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
TD Hardcore User!

I posted a thread quite a while ago asking if anyone had mounted a BOV in the aircleaner box and got no replies, so I guess maybe I'm the first.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Mr. Moderator

Cali visual inspection? That SUCKS!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis

My Ride: 1988 Labaron Convert
Engine: Turbo 2 2.2 liter

CBMDennis is keeping our cars running
Looks great and thanks for the write up
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 AM   #6
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis

My Ride: 1988 Labaron Convert
Engine: Turbo 2 2.2 liter

CBMDennis is keeping our cars running
the filter on the BOV in the pic above. Does it provide a useful function or is it manly used or looks. By the way it does look great!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 horizon

89horizon89 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMDennis View Post
the filter on the BOV in the pic above. Does it provide a useful function or is it manly used or looks. By the way it does look great!
im guessing it just quiets the bov...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
STLShelbyZ

Also prevents things getting in the bov? Speaking of those visual inspections, I saw something online of this kid getting pulled over near a popular street racing area and he easily got like 9 tickets, blue headlights, lowered car which put the license plate too low and the headlights and the tailights (3 tickets for lowering?!) cone filter even, no cats (cop got on the ground and checked!) and no plate up front. Those would suck here in MO!!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Mr. Moderator

The filter is there because under vac the bov will suck in air.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
TryHard Status

My Ride: 1986 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 TII

turismolover22 is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMDennis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89horizon89 View Post
im guessing it just quiets the bov...
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLShelbyZ View Post
Also prevents things getting in the bov? Speaking of those visual inspections, I saw something online of this kid getting pulled over near a popular street racing area and he easily got like 9 tickets, blue headlights, lowered car which put the license plate too low and the headlights and the tailights (3 tickets for lowering?!) cone filter even, no cats (cop got on the ground and checked!) and no plate up front. Those would suck here in MO!!!!
In a true perfect world, the Blow off valve would only open when under vacuum, when the car is idling down, shifting, whatever.

Problem is that even though it is constantly releasing air out, at certain conditions such as cruise where youre at that 0 ish area, air can pass into the intake through the BOV inlet, causing particles to enter your motor.

The filter is just a preventative measure to guarantee that no impure air leaks into the air system.

And yes, a filter will quiet the BOV sound a little.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
STLShelbyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
In a true perfect world, the Blow off valve would only open when under vacuum, when the car is idling down, shifting, whatever.

Problem is that even though it is constantly releasing air out, at certain conditions such as cruise where youre at that 0 ish area, air can pass into the intake through the BOV inlet, causing particles to enter your motor.

The filter is just a preventative measure to guarantee that no impure air leaks into the air system.

And yes, a filter will quiet the BOV sound a little.
That's what I meant to say, lol, didn't mean to add that ? at the end.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
TryHard Status

My Ride: 1986 Daytona Turbo Z
Engine: 2.2 TII

turismolover22 is keeping our cars running
lol its all good man
Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
Garrett Booster

My Ride: '87 LeBaron Coupe
Engine: 2.2 Comon Block TII

DrunkenMessiah is keeping the peace
Wey-hey!

I didn't know that the way you did it was a particularly new or novel idea. That is exactly the way I set up my BOV when I put the finishing touches on my TII conversion several weeks ago. The difference is that I didn't use that cool silicone T pipe that you have yours hooked up to. Mine was originally an enlarged aluminum elbow bracket that was meant to go on an Eclipse. I cut the aluminum tube down to just a couple inches long, all I needed was the bracket. Just added a couple of cheap pipe-clamps and voila! Sick BOV on the stock TII intake. It even looks like we used the same cheap-ass Ebay BOV, albeit mine is swankier rocking the purple cap

I'll need to snag a better picture, but you can clearly see my setup here:

After much deliberation I decided that whatever decreased flow restrictions might be had from a cone filter will be totally negated by sucking in hot under-hood air. The stock cold air intake is actually fairly good! I think the only way to improve upon it is to move the battery away from the stock location (into the trunk?) and build an air box to house a big cone filter. This way the engine still pulls in cold air from the fender and through the power module which is important.

Being a turbo car though, I believe real world power gains from these sorts of mods are pretty negligible. I'd bet its only really worth it if you go Front Mount Inter-Cooler in addition to the cone-filtered-cold-air-intake. That's my on the subject anyway.

BTW! What kind of weird little air filter is that hooked up to your BOV? I need one but have no idea what model to go for or even where to find one.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #14
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMessiah View Post
I didn't know that the way you did it was a particularly new or novel idea.
No it isn't, I think I first saw it suggested by Pope. When I tried to find some more detailed instructions about the actual parts use, the fit and any other tips I came up empty. So when I did it I figured I should post it for reference. The T1 configuration was my own idea (AFAIK) because I could find NO information about using an aftermarket BOV inside the stock airbox.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #15
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLShelbyZ View Post
And Thats Why i Moved The F!@k out of long beach, because my tax dollars was pissing me off so bad, i had all of that done to my 95 BMW 850I ( i loved that car) converted HID headlights got a ticket for that (HID's Are legal,factory on New BMWs, Benzs, Caddys) AC Schnitzer cold air intake Got a Ticket for that (50 state legal) lowered car as well (didnt know that was Illegal the car was as low as a factory corvette)
and my tailights were from germany (same color red but were LEDS and a little different design, no different than todays BMW's, needless to say i ****ING HATE THE POLICE, My shit was legal, stupid bitches i want to go back home to germany Badly where law are easier on this shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.