vacuum lines? anyone got a pic? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
vacuum lines? anyone got a pic?  
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1989 shelby daytona
Engine: 2.2l
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 14.887

mad_psi-shelby is keeping the peace
Hey all, Im just tryin to get my car to idle right. I might need an ecu, but im trying to get the rest of the vac lines perfect and rule those out. What exactly needs vacuum? Ill just give you an outline of what I have hooked up, and you guys correct me if anythings wrong. The left port on top of the throttle body is blocked off, the right port on the tb is going to my bov. Barometric sensor is hooked to vacuum, as well as the fpr, wastegate sol. Is this all that is needed to run perfect? Id really love for sobmeone to take a pic of their lines and where they start and end. I have the diagram under the hood and seen hundreds of the diagrams, but a pic of someones actual system would be easy for me. And then I know its on a good running car also. Maybe included orfices if any are necessary? THANKS so much guys, I love this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Re: vacuum lines? anyone got a pic?  
Boostaholic

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z
Engine: TII
1/4: 0.000

6daytonas is keeping the peace
Unless you're running them just like factory, and someone else snaps a picture of a factory setup, it will just convolute the issue for you. The system is actually quite easy... the diagrams make it seem more complicated than it is.

I assume you have a TII set-up with a manual trans...

Off the port on your intake manifold (next to charge temp sensor) run the main vac line out. I have a vacuum block hooked up which is set up as follows:

=> Boost Gauge
ll
V l => Purge Solenoid
A l => Wastegate Solenoid
C l => FPR
U l => Baro-Read Solenoid
ll
=> Vacuum in from Intake Manifold

This set-up allows you to run straight shots of vacuum to all the devices without tees or orifices. Everything will work fine.

If you aren't running the evap system, then you can disregard the line to the Purge Solenoid. Since the Evap system attaches to the throttle body nipple, I assume you have it disconnected, which is fine. If you're running the evap system, it will have a check valve in the main run back to the throttle body. It also tees off and connects downstream of the PCV valve (another check valve in there) and dumps into the large intake port under the fuel rail.

Some other bits:
  • MAP is connected, via bleed nipple, to Baro-read Solenoid.
  • Brake Booster vacuum line is on back of intake and goes to booster.
  • Booster will then have a small vac line to your HVAC system and possibly to cruise control (with a check valve) if you have that feature.
  • Using the throttle body for your BOV is correct.
  • The turbo oulet nipple can be connected to cruise control (with a check valve), or an MBC if you use one.
  • Make sure wastegate actuator is connected to the solenoid correctly.

Finally... make sure your PCV system is working correctly. Use a good PCV valve - preferable a MOPAR unit, they're only a few dollars. Get the three-way PCV grommet from a dealer if yours is missing. The three-way grommet attaches to the PCV port on the valve cover. The PCV valve mounts in the grommet and then feeds into the intake port below the fuel rail. The third opening in the grommet goes back to your airbox port or a catch can if you run one.

If you do all of this with fresh vac lines, and your car still isn't right, you can safely rule out the vac AND PCV systems. I'll take pics of mine later this weekend for you if you still need help. I have my top end apart for some work right now...

Last edited by 6daytonas; 04-19-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1989 shelby daytona
Engine: 2.2l
1/4: 14.887

mad_psi-shelby is keeping the peace
hmm wow such a big help. A huge help. Thank you so much. I still have the 3 way connector that goes onto the valve cover for the pcv valve. I dont have the stock pcv valve anymore, ill get one. But how do you guys run the catch can/or the open port on the 3 way? Thanks again, such a big help.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis

My Ride: 1988 Labaron Convert
Engine: Turbo 2 2.2 liter

CBMDennis is keeping our cars running
6daytonas cool write up!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #5
TD New Guy

My Ride: 92 iroc/z / 87 GLHS
Engine: 2.5 / 2.2

tustintrevor is keeping the peace
i have a thread with the similar question, and someone posted the best picture i have ever seen. ill load it up when i figure out where it is lol
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
TD New Guy

My Ride: 92 iroc/z / 87 GLHS
Engine: 2.5 / 2.2

tustintrevor is keeping the peace
search "vacuum question" there are two good diagrams there
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
Mr. Moderator

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.4l

turbokid is keeping the peace
Old 04-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: Daytonas

ChargedDust is keeping our cars running
NICE picture, you do it yourself?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Mr. Moderator

My Ride: 89 Shelby Daytona
Engine: 2.4l

turbokid is keeping the peace
LOL I stole it. Should probably find out who actually made it and give them credit for it. But I gotta say, its an awesome representation of the vac diagram and anybody who can't read the stock one can surely read this one
Old 04-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
Boostaholic

My Ride: '88 Shelby Z
Engine: TII

6daytonas is keeping the peace
The vac lines were so jacked up when I picked up the '88 early last month that I needed to start from scratch. Rather than referencing the factory diagram, I drew the first pic up on MS Paint with everything pictured where it actually is - that way I could get a clean and efficient layout under the hood. I first hooked everything up factory, and now I've made some adjustments as follows:

My wastegate solenoid is no longer in the loop, as I'm using the billet MBC from Cindy in it's place. Good unit - very easy to conceal. Getting my BOV flange welded as we speak and hope to have the BOV installed in the lower intercooler pipe by week's end. Every line coming off the vac block is poly from Neonsquirt. Good stuff and worth every penny. I actually removed the orifices in the boost gauge and evap lines as the small diameter poly lines seem to provide enough restriction on their own.

Mad-psi: do you still need some pictures of how everything is set up?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
STLShelbyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6daytonas View Post
Unless you're running them just like factory, and someone else snaps a picture of a factory setup, it will just convolute the issue for you. The system is actually quite easy... the diagrams make it seem more complicated than it is.

I assume you have a TII set-up with a manual trans...

Off the port on your intake manifold (next to charge temp sensor) run the main vac line out. I have a vacuum block hooked up which is set up as follows:

=> Boost Gauge
ll
V l => Purge Solenoid
A l => Wastegate Solenoid
C l => FPR
U l => Baro-Read Solenoid
ll
=> Vacuum in from Intake Manifold

This set-up allows you to run straight shots of vacuum to all the devices without tees or orifices. Everything will work fine.

If you aren't running the evap system, then you can disregard the line to the Purge Solenoid. Since the Evap system attaches to the throttle body nipple, I assume you have it disconnected, which is fine. If you're running the evap system, it will have a check valve in the main run back to the throttle body. It also tees off and connects downstream of the PCV valve (another check valve in there) and dumps into the large intake port under the fuel rail.

Some other bits:
  • MAP is connected, via bleed nipple, to Baro-read Solenoid.
  • Brake Booster vacuum line is on back of intake and goes to booster.
  • Booster will then have a small vac line to your HVAC system and possibly to cruise control (with a check valve) if you have that feature.
  • Using the throttle body for your BOV is correct.
  • The turbo oulet nipple can be connected to cruise control (with a check valve), or an MBC if you use one.
  • Make sure wastegate actuator is connected to the solenoid correctly.

Finally... make sure your PCV system is working correctly. Use a good PCV valve - preferable a MOPAR unit, they're only a few dollars. Get the three-way PCV grommet from a dealer if yours is missing. The three-way grommet attaches to the PCV port on the valve cover. The PCV valve mounts in the grommet and then feeds into the intake port below the fuel rail. The third opening in the grommet goes back to your airbox port or a catch can if you run one.

If you do all of this with fresh vac lines, and your car still isn't right, you can safely rule out the vac AND PCV systems. I'll take pics of mine later this weekend for you if you still need help. I have my top end apart for some work right now...
After seeing your other diagram of the factory setup, you should do a diagram with a vac block setup, those two diagrams are going to be a couple of the most valuable diagrams on here!

Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
TD New Guy

My Ride: Spirit 2.5 turbo 92

ShadowshelbyZ is keeping the peace
Yes Thanks it help me too even i have a 92 spirit 2,5 but for the catch can, can i use the turbo drain for return? I all redy have a tube from the air box to the turbo drain .

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #13
dwf
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1989 Dodge Caravan
Engine: 2.5 l Turbo

dwf is keeping the peace
Where is the best place to get replacement vacuum lines for my 89 dodge caravan?... I probably would rather have a vacuum block but I would like to keep my cruise control hooked up.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
Daytona Junkie

i have a vac block and still have my cruz ;)

Old 01-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #15
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
Vacuum for the cruise comes from the brake booster.
A vacuum block would be used for components that run off of the manifold and would replace the factory plastic vacuum harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
check-valve, vacuum, vacuum block, vacuum diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.