Turbo intake pipe: Optimal Length and Size? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Turbo intake pipe: Optimal Length and Size?  
Boostaholic

My Ride: Neons + Caravan
Engine: 2.5T
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

NoDestiny is keeping the peace
Hey gang,

Back when I was doing an N/A neon build, I remember how the intake pipe size and length could put additional torque peaks throughout the band, improving power in some areas, if not all. From what I recall (been years), the longer the pipe, the lower the peak torque was added. The bigger around the pipe, the less restrictive to preserve top end performance. I ended up doing I think a 2.5" or 3" pipe that snaked through up into the fender that was like a few feet long all together. Never did get a chance to dyno the difference, but I have seen other people who have.

Now in the turbo world, I was curious: does this phenomenon play a roll?

Currently, I have the S60 Turbonetics on my 2.5L. Being the stickler that I am, I want to try and get everything done "right". Currently, the intake goes: Turbo > 3.0L rubber pipe > Cone filter. I think the rubber pipe has to be ~12" or longer. This places the filter right next to the tranny mount.

I am about to do a new tranny cooler, which leaves a nice, large area of fresh air to enter the engine bay. I wanted to extend the intake pipe to get the filter in on that action, as it is a straight shot to do so.

I know a lot of SRT owners go straight to a full 3" pipe on their turbos. I also know most SRT owners just buy whatever is available without a thought into it. I'm cursed with that scientific/perfectionist need. The inlet is currently a 2.5" from the turbo. I was thinking of doing a stepped system, like going 2.5" pipe > 3" pipe... or even trickier, doing a "funnel" design to do the same thing.

Anybody have any insight or am I just rambling about something simpler than I want it to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Re: Turbo intake pipe: Optimal Length and Size?  
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 03' subaru wrx
Engine: 2.0l
1/4: 14.731

twintshelby is keeping the peace
I'd go 3inch, for intake. More air being moved, better throttle response
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII, SMEC, .60/.63, 2-piece, 52mm, no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

detobias is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDestiny View Post
Hey gang,

Back when I was doing an N/A neon build, I remember how the intake pipe size and length could put additional torque peaks throughout the band, improving power in some areas, if not all. From what I recall (been years), the longer the pipe, the lower the peak torque was added. The bigger around the pipe, the less restrictive to preserve top end performance. I ended up doing I think a 2.5" or 3" pipe that snaked through up into the fender that was like a few feet long all together. Never did get a chance to dyno the difference, but I have seen other people who have.

Now in the turbo world, I was curious: does this phenomenon play a roll?
no sry,
the presence of the turbo in the intake tract pretty much negates any potential tuning effects upstream of the turbo (inlet)

however, intake manifold tuning is still valid,
from Manifold (automotive) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Modern intake manifolds usually employ runners, individual tubes extending to each intake port on the cylinder head which emanate from a central volume or "plenum" beneath the carburetor. The purpose of the runner is to take advantage of the Helmholtz resonance property of air."

Helmholtz resonance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Boostaholic

yeah, I get the intake manifold design, was just curious on pre-turbo intake to see if some of that N/A theory holds up.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #5
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
every degree dropped on the intake pipe increase compressor efficiency and decreases exiting temps. Then adding a 3" intake tube also increases efficiency of the compressor as it isn't under such an ugly vac.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Legendary Driver

My Ride: 85 GLHT, 87 ShelbyZ,
Engine: 2.2 T2 and 2.5 T2
1/4: 13.882

GLHNSLHT2 has really helped outGLHNSLHT2 has really helped out
The 2.5" pipe on the turbo is the restriction. Going from smooth 2.5" to 3" netted me a 10hp gain at the track and I was still sucking in hot air till I could get my cold air box made.
Cold Air Intake
Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Boostaholic

Alright, talked me into it...

Old "warm" air intake. Tucked back there.

Here is the old intake vs. new one. Going from less than a 2.5" to a full 3" aluminum.

New intake installed. Gets the fresh air directly from the front.

Took it around the block (errr, whatever, I live in the country). Stayed at 18psi pretty constantly without knock (where 17psi was usually my limit... this is without any adjustment other than the intake swap itself). I'll be doing more testing as I didn't give it a REAL good run earlier.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
why didn't you go out to the grill?

still sucking rad air?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
Boostaholic

lol, should have had it sticking out of the grill a good foot. Call it "Car Ramrod!"

The end of the filter is actually only a few inches from the grill and nothing else in front of it (just relocated my tranny cooler to make this happen). Eventually, I'll build a little box around it that forced it to only pull air from the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
intake, pipe, specifications, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.