3 bar map ? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
3 bar map ?  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 GLHS
1/4: 0.000

GLHS 160 is keeping the peace
I am wanting to get a a few more pounds of boost out of my GLHS omni, with stock turbo, but do not know what is the best way (inexpensive) to and not have to change the turbo/injectors.. Years ago I was a nitrous junkie, but then the car was new. I am trying not to go that route again, as its really uncontrollable horsepower, and is non forgiving.. I was thinking of using a boost controller.. What is a 3 bar map, and where would I get one if needed?
I have installed a new fuel pump already. I appreciate any suggestions and help..
Thanks, Allen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Re: 3 bar map ?  
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l
Induct: Turbo

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
The 3 bar map wont work unless you have a computer cal programmed for 3 bar. If you are going more than a 2 bar 14.5ish then you are going to want bigger injectors anyway. If you want to go bigger than 2 bar you need at least a new cal and bigger injectors, probably a fmic and a new fuel pump/lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Boostaholic

Induct: N/A

GhostDaytona is traveling down a dark road
I'm glad someone brought this up. If some of you have read threads on what's in my turbo z, since im thinking of upping the cal to a stage 3 or 4, can someone pm me, give me a heads up on how to install the 3 bar under my hood, recommend a cal for my car???

86 turbo z c/s
2.5 conv. To t2
Stock 2.5 33 pph injectors
190 lph fuel pump
5 th inj. Setup
Has currently 86-87 GLHS stage 2
With LM located map, an red wire pinout mod????
That I can't explain?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Boostaholic

My Ride: 86 GLHT
Engine: 2.5L
1/4: 12.130

Keith Alto is keeping the peace
Rob at Boost Button has 3 BAR MAPS
Sensors, Boost Button

I see both you guys are GLHS cals, Rob doesn't program those computers
I was running a GLHS +20 injector, 3 BAR Map cal, but have upgraded to the
87 computer. The guy who did my GLHS cal is no longer around, honestly your
easiest way would be to change to 87 electronics, you have to switch a few wires from the red LM connector to the blue one, then you could have Rob write your cals
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS 160 View Post
What is a 3 bar map, and where would I get one if needed?

Bar is a unit. 1 Bar is roughly 14.5psi.

MAP stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure, MAP sensor measures from zero-referenced against a perfect vacuum. In other words, when you see 5psi of boost on the boost gauge, the MAP sensor see atmospheric pressure ~14.5psi PLUS 5 psi, which is 19.5psi.

Stock turbo dodge come with a 2 bar map sensor, which is good to ~14.5psi. 3 bar map sensor is good to 29psi. You must use a MATCHING calibration with whatever MAP sensor you choose. Both MAP sensor uses 0-5V to tell the computer what pressure they see, the computer have to know what they mean.

Stock injectors are really only good to around 15psi on a stock long block. Beyond that, you're running out of injectors duty cycles and will run lean.

You can find 3 bar map sensor in all kind of places.
1989 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 3 8L Turbo 3 Bar Map Sensor New | eBay
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Cool Re: 3 bar map ?  
Boostaholic

Induct: N/A

GhostDaytona is traveling down a dark road
Well, atleast I found out my WG solenoid isn't working, it's like hitting a wall with the cutout, but atleast it saves my motor, like hitting a damn wall

Can I use either the purge or egr solenoid I know they work, I hooked the WG line to them an got 7psi max. Now can I either bleed that line, to up the boost somewhat? Or install a MBC????

Suggestions????
Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
There's way to fool the map sensor and ways to get more fuel into the motor (5th/6th injectors). Check our Donovan's Dodge Garage You can probably look at the 89 red Daytona page/section on there as Gary ran extra 5th/6th injectors (cold start injectors from vw's or volvo's I believe). Anyways do some research and make sure you have enough fuel, because on stock pistons meltdown of pistons can happen very quickly when you start running lots of boost and not enough fuel.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...ting-20-a.html

get FFV injectors and have them cleaned at mr injector, cheapest injector
3 Bar MAP Sensor [AUBER-103] - $36.95 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry cheapest 3 bar map
fwdperformance.com stage 5 for +20s. That is the way to go leaving it mostly stock but having 18 PSI on the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.