Engine dies - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Engine dies  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5l T1
1/4: 0.000

DodgeBoy777 is keeping the peace
Just rebuilt the engine to my 90 Daytona. Put it back in the car and started it yesterday and it started at about 1200 rpm for a few seconds dropped to about 800 for about a minute and then it died. There was also some gray/white smoke coming out the tailpipe. I tried it a second time and had the same scenario but it lasted a little while longer. I looked up the fault codes and I got 12, 13, 37. The manual says 12 has to do with a battery being disconnete, 37 was about the torque converter, but 13 said the MAP sensor was not getting a proper reading. Could the MAP sensor be causing this problem or should I be looking somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Re: Engine dies  
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 15.570

NAJ has really helped outNAJ has really helped out
Map is dominant fuel control.
If engine vacuum is low or if vacuum to the map is low the code will set and the car will run extremely rich and very poorly.

1)For the few seconds the car runs what is engine vacuum reading at a manifold source?
Is vacuum reading in the 16"-20" HG range?
NO...
Repair engine mechanical issue or large vacuum leak.
YES...Continue
2)For the few seconds the car runs what is vacuum reading to the Baro solenoid and from the Baro to Map?
Is it 16"-20" HG?
NO...Repair vacuum system to Baro Solenoid
YES...Continue
3)What is vacuum reading at Map Sensor?
Is it the same as manifold vacuum(16"-20" HG)?
NO...
Repair vacuum from Baro Solenoid to Map Sensor.
(Vacuum lines hooked correctly to/from Baro?)
YES...
Test Map Voltage

TESTING MAP VOLTAGE(CODE 13 DIAGNOSTICS)
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...agnostics.html

35 Years ASE Certified
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
TD New Guy

Thanks NAJ. Ill follow those instructions and see if that fixes the problem. Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
TD New Guy

Hey NAJ, thanks for the advice on code 13. Turned out I had a vac hose that was leaking. I replace all the vac hoses and made sure the MAP sensor was working properly. Started the car and it did not die and no code 13. However, it doesnt seem to be running quite right. When I started it it idled at about 1100 and never dropped below that. There was also a small amount of smoke coming from the manifold and also a ticking sound in the same area. And there is still a code 37. Some of this may be minor but I just want to make sure I am not doing any damage to a freshly rebuilt engine. Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeBoy777 View Post
Hey NAJ, thanks for the advice on code 13. Turned out I had a vac hose that was leaking. I replace all the vac hoses and made sure the MAP sensor was working properly. Started the car and it did not die and no code 13. However, it doesnt seem to be running quite right. When I started it it idled at about 1100 and never dropped below that. There was also a small amount of smoke coming from the manifold and also a ticking sound in the same area. And there is still a code 37. Some of this may be minor but I just want to make sure I am not doing any damage to a freshly rebuilt engine. Any thoughts?
smoke from manifold can be normal if you got any oil/grease/coolant/sealant etc..on manifold when working on the engine

are you using the stock computer?

have you made any changes to the fuel system?

is your AIS device working right? Make sure its plugged in. Its on the side of the throttle body and thats how the engine modulates air flow at idle to control idle speed. Im assuming you have a 2.5, which may be incorrect. heee

Smoke coming from the tailpipe is probably not a good thing. I dont recall that ever happening after my 2.5 rebuilds/reassemblies. How did you time the cam? What about ignition timing?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
TD New Guy

There was very little smoke coming from the manifold area and I forgot to mention there was a slight burnt smell. Not burnt oil smell. I started it a second time and both smell and smoke were not present.

The computer is the original.

I have made no changes to the fuel system.

Everything is plugged in where it should go. I have not tested the AIS. I will do that tomorrow. It is a 2.5.

The smoke that was present in my first post is now gone since I fixed the vac lines.
I used the car manual instructions to time the cam. Lining up the markers to specification. It is possible the timing is not perfect but it would not be off by much.

And in case this helps, the check engine light did not come on either time.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
NAJ
Just A Guy

Be sure base idle is set correctly and reset the AIS.

TBI CLEANING, BASE IDLE AND AIS RESET
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...automatic.html
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
TD New Guy

I will do the AIS reset later today. I do have some other info to add that might change things. I started the engine, pulled a little bit on the throttle and the engine wanted to die. If i did it very slowly it would work ok but any quicker and it would almost die but recover. Still at about 1100 rpm. I still plan on doing the AIS reset like in your post NAJ but I just wanted to make sure this info didnt change the diagnosis.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
TD New Guy

My Ride: '89 Omni, 82 380SL
Engine: 2.2 4 banger/ 3.8 V-8

OL'grouch is keeping the peace
I've gotten white smoke in an excessive fuel condition before. The engine will blow black when it's rich but when it's REALLY rich it will smoke white. It will have more of a rotten egg smell than the sweet smell of coolant.

I vaugely remember hooking up an atmosphere sensor backwards once. I want to say it's the MAP sensor. One fitting gets the hose and the other is open to the atmosphere. However, it's been several years so my memory may be faulty.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
NAJ
Just A Guy

Is this engine broken in yet???
Are all of your basics still correct?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
TD New Guy

Hey I'm going to have to come back to you guys on this problem in a few days since a new one has come up (big surprise). While I was performing the procedure NAJ posted on the AIS I noticed I had a new oil leak. While warming up the engine I saw oil being sprayed everywhere by the serpentine belts. I checked under the car and found a decent sized puddle of oil on the passenger side and favoring the rear of the engine. I'm pretty sure its the front main seal but I'm not 100% sure since it was getting dark. No oil appeared to be coming from the valve cover so I doubt that is the problem.

Anyway, like I said I'll get back to you guys in a few days once the oil leak is taken care off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.