rampage build, need ideas - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
rampage build, need ideas  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 1996 Dodge 2500 CTD
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

sinfulrelations is keeping the peace
hello everyone, i've been toying with the idea of building my rampage, ive been leaning on going turbo, i basically want to buy a second engine, strip it down and build it to be fast and reliable, my major debate right now is where to start, i have the stock 4 speed and stock 2.2, id like to build a 2.4 or 2.5, which of those options would have the most potential, keeping in mind that when i swap the new motor in i also would be swapping in another transmission with cables instead of linkages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Re: rampage build, need ideas  
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
I would look at your skills a bit. Are you good and going through an engine restoring them? Or are you good at welding and some fab work?

A 2.2 is going to need to be restored, which can cost a few dollars. The 2.4 turbo you can buy with low miles from a junk yard and almost bolt in making engine mounts. The 2.4 is also going to make more power more easily. Doesn't mean you can't make the power with the 2.2 but they start out with a lot less.

I would also look at what organ donors are out there. Daytona or Shadow to feed the project. Just buying parts from a junk yard and piecing it together sucks.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
Garrett Booster

I have a good range of skills, ive rebuilt many small block chevys and made alot of parts from scratch, also i have a good bit of selection on motors and transmissions, which one of those would have the best aftermarket support? im guessing the 2.4
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Boost is a good thing!!

My Ride: 86 GLHS #295
Engine: 2.5
Induct: Turbo + Nitrous

Steve in Va is keeping the peace
If you go 2.2 or 2.5 turbo on your 82-84 rampage, I suggest a 89 turbo mini harness. Its plug and go. But you first have to remove your dash and install a 88-90 L-body dash harness assuming your rampage is an 84. If the rampage is an 82 and 83 then I'd suggest you find a 84 and up dash, then put the 88-90 dash harness on it.

If you go 2.2 or 2.5 turbo motor, find the entire interior wire harness from a 86-87 shelby charger so the correct fuel pump plug is there

If you go 2.2 or 2.5 turbo motor and 5 speed, use 2 identical automatic only, drivers side only 88-90 Omni/Horizon axles for the 5 speed conversion, then find the a520/a555/a568 intermediate shaft.

If you go 2.2 or 2.5 turbo motor, find the lower core support bracket from a Shelby Charger and bolt that on too.

If you go 2.2 or 2.5 turbo motor, bolt in a new L-body turbo only gas tank and 88-90 L body fuel pump hanger assembly with a walbro 255lph pump

If your rampage is an 82 & 83, keep the drivers side transmission mount as you'll need it for the 5 speed swap or cut it out and weld in a 84 and up style perch mount so you can use the 84 and up style drivers motor mount

I cant comment on a 2.4 motor or electronics since I'm unfamiliar with them.

Good luck!!
1986 GLHS #295
1987 Shelby Lancer #415 (converted to stick)
1983 Dodge Rampage Prospector TII
1991 Daytona ES 2.5 N/A (parting out)
1987 Shelby Lancer (parting out, cloth 5sp)
1999 GMC Suburban 454 2wd
2009 Chrysler 300 Limited
glhs@verizon.net (home email)
five four zero-5onefour-two9nine1 (cell)
Triangle, VA
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: Ram HFE/Omni/SL/XR7
Engine: 2.5 TII, SMEC, .60/.63, 2-piece, 52mm, no B/S ;)
1/4: 13.800

detobias is keeping our cars running
certainly a 4v 2.4 (or 2.0) has more potential than an SOHC 2V 2.2/2.5

as Steve showed, you can do a 2.2/2.5 Turbo swap using all factory bits,
but it will take some time to source those parts and assemble

quicker and easier but more expensive would be a 2.4t from a PT cruiser or SRT4,
(or a N/A 2.0 or 2.4 converted to turbo) then run MS or other standalone ECM

actually a N/A 2.4 swap (with MS) would be a good start.. it would be plenty fast ..
and after you have mastered it then a turbo upgrade is straightforward.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
Super Pope

not going the organ donor method and getting a whole car for a 2.2 turbo, the 2.4 is easiest with megasquirt controling it. There is 8v megasquirt out there but it is more plug and play with a 2.4.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Garrett Booster

thanks guys, ive been interested in tinkering with megasquirt for awhile, im going with the 2.4 i found a full dohc motor for 200 bucks!! best part is its mechanically sound just needs a new home, has anyone on here done alot with the megasquirt? im planning on getting the ms3 but im curious to what all expansions im going to need
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Super Pope

UNA here has done the most with it, I would talk to our vendor though. I'm sure he has Neon files he can give you.

Look at getting the early NA aluminum engine bracket for the passenger side. Then buy the first gen Neon 2.4 adapter, then the polybushings passenger side mount. With a grade 8 bolt and spacer you can fit the 2.4 right in. When you use the 2.2 trans, you can use the mounts front, rear and side for the 2.2 trans modding the front mount to work with the block.

UNA I believe did the NA swap in about a week lol.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
UNA here has done the most with it, I would talk to our vendor though. I'm sure he has Neon files he can give you.

Look at getting the early NA aluminum engine bracket for the passenger side. Then buy the first gen Neon 2.4 adapter, then the polybushings passenger side mount. With a grade 8 bolt and spacer you can fit the 2.4 right in. When you use the 2.2 trans, you can use the mounts front, rear and side for the 2.2 trans modding the front mount to work with the block.

UNA I believe did the NA swap in about a week lol.
this sounds a lot easier than the last engine swap i did, btw if anyone ever asks for help putting a 350 in a feiro just walk away, lol. also will megasquirt work alongside an msd ignition system?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
Super Pope

I don't know that you need the MSD with megasquirt. If you want more ignition ask about the coil on plug option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.