using a 1 piece intake on 85 electronics, opinions? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
using a 1 piece intake on 85 electronics, opinions?  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 87 Town & Country wa
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

jordensk is keeping the peace
ok here it goes. last week i bought a 89 shelby daytona ttop intercooled car. thought it wz a steal for a donor car for my 85 glht t2/555 conversion. come to find out its a 85 motor and a 523 tranny. only t2 parts it has is the i/c, 1 piece intake, injectors, fuel rail n fpr, bov, n tb. heres my question. im thinkin of intercooling my current log motor using the 1 piece intake i/c tb fr n fpr. Before any1 tells me the ais wont work... i know! but i know the tps signals r the same and the ais is easily bypassed (my current log tb has the ais bypassed.) so does has ne1 else done this or know ne1 who has. i wanna stay with the 85 electronics for several reasons, i have 2 gheads 1 roller and 1 slider, i dont want to have to send my comp off for reflash, if it dont work i can easily switch back to the original log, and im the type of person who takes "wont possibly work" as a challenge. ive done tons of research that says i need to run the t2 injectors in cylinder #1 n #2 to compensate for the uneven injector sequence n 85 electronics. anything any1 would like to comment or give their opinion? my current plan is to run the stock boost levels @ 7# (4 now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Re: using a 1 piece intake on 85 electronics, opinions?  
Garrett Booster

ohnotagain is keeping the peace
it sounds like it should work fine if you've taken the IAC out of the equation. but since you have the 89 car sitting there you'd be way better off using the smec and dual hep dist. the wiring harness wont be bad to switch over and integrate into your 85. where in mo are you? if im close enough i might be able to help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Garrett Booster

Im in sikeston, bout 150 miles south of stl on i55. That wz my original idea but the smec is busted up and ALL the wiring is jacked up. Previous owner "thought he wz a auto electrician" cuts n splices everywhere. The wires ive traced under the hood r wrong, and the dash is even worse. Ive wired many cars, tractors, and combines. Im pretty confident n my wiring skills n knowledge, this harness is a lost cause. Other prob w/smec conv is 89 is a swirl head, my 85 is a ghead. 89 smec doesnt have enuff spark curve for my ghead. Id enjoy a mo td guy 2 talk w/tho, were a dyin breed appearently.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: CAMEL
Engine: 2 HUMPS
Induct: N/A

85boostbox is keeping the peace
It is not hard to convert over to T2 status in a log car. Couple of wires and a later distibutor, and a 87 T2 computer and your dont as far as wiring goes.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
Garrett Booster

ohnotagain is keeping the peace
^ i like that idea even better. bonus if you can get ahold of a socketed LM, then you would no longer have to swap computers, just chips. i think shel-game on here has a flashable logic module setup or is at least working on one.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Do it right the first time

Turbo I to Turbo II
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
Garrett Booster

again i know its "easy to convert to t2" but i dont have ne more $ to spend on this thing until next year. im currently tryin 2 pay for a pretty big wedding. this time next year im gna start buildin a high hp motor. im just wantin to get the car runnin right now to get me back n forth 2 work. 87 electronics wont run well with a ghead and im not lookin for recal or socketing right now. all in the future. i wz more wondering if ne1 had done this b4. the idea came off ddg under intercooling the log. n it sounds like it would worked for the guy but he used sum cheap intercooler hoses n melted em.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Boostaholic

bill2 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordensk View Post
... 87 electronics wont run well with a ghead and im not lookin for recal or socketing right now.
I wouldn't exactly say it won't "run well", its not ideal but it will work. Bumping up the base timing with stock 87 electronics helps, but as you've mentioned the curve isn't correct for the head. IMO, the fwd performance s5 (off the self cals) work extremely well with the ghead, as would a custom chip.

Quote:
Im pretty confident n my wiring skills n knowledge...
I understand you want to wait to spend money on your build in the future, but if your wiring skills include soldering, than your can socket your own lm for 10$, and have have the cal done for 40$.

15years ago, I understand why people drug their feet when considering blowthrough/t2 wiring upgrades..... but as easy as it is to do, as GOOD as the results are, and as inexpensive as the options are for intercooling the log correctly I can't understand why anyone would continue to want to half a$$ this.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
Garrett Booster

Im just lookn to make the car driveable 4 now. Just wanna add the I/c for safety sake. Its a omni... Its plenty of fun @ stock boost levels. When I start my next motor build in january im seriously considering using a labtop n megasquirt. and the 523 tranny. Time right now is a big concern, ima farmer and in less than a month I will b spendin 12-15 hrs a day @ wrk, till nov or so. even currently I only have time on the weekends to fool with it. During the week I have to watch my kids until the old lady gets home around 7. If it wz solely up 2 me, id go ahead n build the "big motor" n tranny swap w/megasquirt. But my priorities my kids n fiance r far n away the most important things 2 me. N the end im gna do it how I want 4 now, if it screws sumthin up oh well. then I get to build what I want. Its like yall dont understand, my ol lady will cancel the wedding if I spend much more. I thought this wz an understandin and helpful. I know the conversion is out there n the best way 2 go but atm its not feasible. my original question was has ne1 else done this?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Boostaholic

bill2 is keeping the peace
Quote:
Im just lookn to make the car driveable 4 now. Just wanna add the I/c for safety sake...
If I were in your position, especially considering the boost levels you plan on running, I would spend my time making sure the car is setup correctly rather than trying to intercool on the budget. IE, timing belt correct, ignition timing correct, knock sensor working, ignition system in good shape, fuel pump/ filter good, vacuum setup correctly, pcv not pumping oil into the intake, ect. I've seen more td's suffer ill fates because of these items than lack of intercooler.

Quote:
my original question was has ne1 else done this?
Yes, this has this been done before, and I feel like I remember seeing a 2 wire ais modified to work as well (all very hack imo).

Quote:
I thought this wz an understandin and helpful.
It is, I'm trying steer you (and anyone reading this) from going this route .
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Garrett Booster

Im aware of makin sure everything else is good, and it is. The I/c is just gna b xtra insurance, cooler intake temps the better. Switchin to blowthru is also easier on the turbo, @ this point I understand im on my own. Wish I had stacks of cash to blow on this thing... But I dont. Im just disappointed n the whole "spend more $ attitude" (chevy or import philosophy) im gettn. These cars r cheap fun. Any1 can buy performance. It take sum brains to think outside the box. Its @ the core of hot roddin culture. The waY sum of u talk is $ is not an issue, n good 4 u if it aint. If I wanted 2 spend a ton y start w/an omni? Vipers arent that expensive. Lets just kill this thread n ill get back 2 yall when its runnin.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
as inexpensive as it is to buy a stage 3 for the old LM cars from FWDperformance I can't see the reason for red necking the thing. The log setup is also made to starve one side of the engine too BTW. The cheap junk yard computers, like MP GLHS computers also would help. The G head turbos have a different timing curve though. so it all comes down to whether or not all that work is worth it with a poor tune. You have to consider what your own time is worth when doing this as it may run better with a FWD stage 2 and no swapping.

84 DC Shelby Rampage
86 GLHS 76
89 CSX 187
92 2.5 Turbo ES Shadow Convertable
70 R/T SE Challenger, supercharged 340
05 PT GT
93 Cummins

Old 02-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Garrett Booster

Am I a redneck, absolutely. No need 4 name callin... kinda childish. I guess this is what u get when u go against popular opinion. I never askd if it wz "right" or "normal" if I wanted normal id buy a civic. If sum1 has sumthin helpful 2 say im all ears. If u dont like or dont agree w/what im doin dont comment. Im not lookn 4 a fight, thats not what this forum is about. were here 2 share knowledge n bounce ideas. every1 tellin me its "wrong" have u done it? Or is that what uve read?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Super Pope

The Pope has really helped outThe Pope has really helped out
Quote:
Am I a redneck, absolutely. No need 4 name callin... kinda childish. I guess this is what u get when u go against popular opinion. I never askd if it wz "right" or "normal" if I wanted normal id buy a civic. If sum1 has sumthin helpful 2 say im all ears. If u dont like or dont agree w/what im doin dont comment. Im not lookn 4 a fight, thats not what this forum is about. were here 2 share knowledge n bounce ideas. every1 tellin me its "wrong" have u done it? Or is that what uve read?
I've seen it done and the car melted pistons on the 1-2 holes because it leaned out in boost. The amount of air total going into the engine increases a lot going blow through. It helps though going to the bigger injector too, but a band aid.

Turbos add air like hitting oxygen on a torch and aluminum is liquid at 1600 degree's. So if you want to go around it all it is your choice of course.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Boostaholic

Glhs60 is keeping the peace
I've done it a few times and never had any problems.

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.