New engine-oil pressure dropping - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
New engine-oil pressure dropping  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 87 Shelby Z
1/4: 0.000

Struttma is keeping the peace
Well I fired up the rebuilt 2.5 this morning for the first time. I turned it over 4 times with out coil wire on, for approx 10 seconds each time and let sit for 10. Seconds between cranking, to hope to build oil pressure. Put coil wire on and it fired right up, but sure sounded rough for 8- 10 seconds before oil pump built pressure , then quieted down. Oil pressure went up to a little over half way on gauge. I ran it long enough to get the fan to kick on but noticed the oil pressure was going down. It went down to the line above zero pressure and I got scared and shut it off. It didn't knock any except at the first start. I'm wondering if I might have roasted my main bearings? What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Re: New engine-oil pressure dropping  
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Install a mechanical oil pressure gauge and read from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Boostaholic

My Ride: 87 New Yorker t1

D3NT is keeping the peace
+1 our oil gauges are not that accurate
Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
TD New Guy

Ok I'll try that Wednesday morn, and I'll give you guys the results. I work second shift and have to do something else tomorrow. Thanks for now!!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
TD New Guy

Well things might not be so bad after all. Had 70 psi at cold start, went down to 30 at 2000 rpm after warm up. Was hoping for more but it seemed to not drop as far as first start up. Power loss light came on , and it idled high at 2000 rpm the whole time. Might be because I don't have the 2.5 mod in it yet, still has the 2.2. Will it hurt anything to take it for short drives with the old ecu in it ??
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A

83scamp is keeping the peace
General rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm. So you are good. Remember, with an oil pressure gauge, you are actually measuring resistance to flow, not the actual flow itself. High pressure at low rpm is just wasting power. If you had high pressure(say 50+ psi) at warm idle, then I would be worried about your bearings getting enough oil flow. I think you are fine.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
TD Extreme User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struttma
Power loss light came on , and it idled high at 2000 rpm the whole time. Might be because I don't have the 2.5 mod in it yet, still has the 2.2. Will it hurt anything to take it for short drives with the old ecu in it ??
All it takes is a short drive to destory your engine.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A

83scamp is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
All it takes is a short drive to destory your engine.
+1 to that! You need to figure out your code first. If it won't run right in the garage, it will only get worse on the road.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
Hybrid Booster

Induct: Turbo

4 L-bodies is keeping the peace
Next time pull plugs while cranking engine over. It will develop a lot more engine speed to prime pump. You usually can hear engine speed change pitch when oil pump gets primed (with plugs removed). You should also see your gage or idiot light move/go off indicating oil is at least getting to distribution block (which is main oil galley).
There are other tricks to get oil pump to prime too. One is to fill lower hole in oil pump stand-off then fill oil filter and spin on. It will normally prime within a couple seconds if doing that.
It usually takes a while before lash adjusters quiet down on fresh motors. It's not going to hurt anything if you let engine idle until these get pumped up.
I have known some people to run +20 injectors with 2.2 cal running a 2.5 engine. It works in a pinch, but get the proper cal. If you do this no WOT let her rip shakedowns(lol). The 88+ electronics will tolerate this more than a LM calibration. I say this because I'm assuming 2.5 in your LM 87 shelby Z.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
TD New Guy

Yes it's an 87 Shelby z. Thanks for all the great info!! Ill have to remember those tips. I've got the 2.5 cal ordered, should be here any day. It's been little over 2 weeks. Do you think my fast idle is from the 2.2 cal???
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
TD Extreme User!

Fast idle is due to vacuum leak. Did you put the bolt back on the bottom of the elbow of the 2 piece intake manifold?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
TD New Guy

Yes. Kinda strange , first start up it idled pretty decent. Every once in a while it would go up a little. But this second start up stayed fast.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
Hybrid Booster

Induct: Turbo

4 L-bodies is keeping the peace
Another trick you can do to get AIS motor (thing that controls idle) to fully close is to intoduce (temporarily) a large vaccum leak into motor while motor is running. Either unplug vaccum line to PCV valve or power brake booster. This will cause motor to race and AIS will fully close if it is functioning properly. You can then electrically un-plug AIS motor temporarily to see if idle stays low at next startup. If it remains high, you more than likely have a vacuum leak elsewhere. If idle starts to wander again after plugging AIS back in, the problem is AIS motor or electrical circuit.
Good luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.