jumper cables getting hot and melting - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction

Engine - General, Exhaust & Induction Topics about the general engine items, exhaust system discussed here & Improving the intake tract - air filter to intake valve.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
jumper cables getting hot and melting  
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

gary_runyon is keeping the peace
what happenes when you jump a car and the cables start melting?
i jumped my mothers car and this happened anyone know if its a wiring problem.... it was a 1995 eagle vision..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #2

Garrett Booster

My Ride: '93 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L NA
Induct: N/A

Chikan is keeping the peace
Sounds like the positive cable grounded out somehow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 10:41 AM   #3

Boostaholic

My Ride: '88 Sundance
Engine: '89 2.5 TI
Induct: Turbo

tonyz2897 is keeping our cars running
Two possibilities. Either they were hooked up incorrectly or they're cheap cables. If you got her car started, then they were obviously hooked up correctly. A lot of your low $ cables look good (really thick wire) but if you have ever seen the diameter of the conductor inside the wire, it's actually pretty small where a good set of cables will be quite a bit heavier. The smaller wire can't handle the current necessary to start a car with a totally dead battery and will get screamin' hot in the process and melt the insulation. The solution to this is to either buy a better set of cables or leave them hooked up for awhile with your engine running to charge the battery in the other car before you try to start it.

Good cables: With the "donor" car running, connect the cables +to+ and -to- then simply start the car with the dead battery.
Cheap cables: With the "donor" car running, connect the cables +to+ and -to- then leave it alone for 10-15 minutes to let the dead battery build up a charge. After that, start the car with the dead battery.
HTH,
Tony

'04 Harley Davidson XL883.
'88 Sundance. 2.5 TI swap done finally. :-)
Now where did I hide that intercooler...
'86 Chevy K10 SWB on P Buckshots.
-----------------
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me. O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints ."

Last edited by tonyz2897; 03-31-2005 at 10:53 AM..
Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #4

Garrett Booster

My Ride: neon or spirit
Engine: 2.2 or 2.0

redrocket91rt is keeping the peace
der. bad connections
Old 03-31-2005, 03:02 PM   #5

Hybrid Booster

nemesismachine is keeping the peace
youre never supposed to connect battery to battery. you can blow em up that way. "Jumper": + and - on the battery, "receiver": + and engine block.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:28 PM   #6

Boostaholic

My Ride: GLHS, Daytona & SC
Engine: All 2.2 Garretts

holley is keeping our cars running
I've connected battery to battery hundreds of times on lots of different vehicles (6v to 24v) and never had any problems - remember that the engine block should be directly connected to the battery negative anyway!

The clamps will often get hot, even on expensive cables, due to contact resistance - but the cheap ones will toast under normal conditions (shouldn't really melt though!).
Old 03-31-2005, 06:40 PM   #7

TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 02' dakota x-cab 4x4

mo' parts has Reached TI Statusmo' parts has Reached TI Statusmo' parts has Reached TI Status
battery to battery can burn up an alternator. hook them up + to+ and - to - on the running engine, and hook the + to + on the car being jumped, and the - should go to the frame or block of the car being jumped.
yes, cheap cables can melt/smoke from the amperage draw, even when hooked up correctly.
highly unlikely thats its a wiring prob., unless your talking about the jumper cable wiring:)
Old 03-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #8

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: '92 Lebaron GTC
Engine: 3.0L V-6
Induct: N/A

92lebaronGTC is keeping the peace
I hooked up some backwards once, had to buy new cables after that.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 PM   #9

Boostaholic

My Ride: 88 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2 T2

D-Cal is keeping the peace
Connecting a good battery directly to a battery with an internal short would be very bad. Connecting the ground through the block adds some resistance to the circuit, which keeps the current down in that case.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 AM   #10

TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: '89 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2

puppet is keeping our cars running
... and it helps prevent the gas that is present between the poles that can possibly ignite with a spark.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #11

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1987 Shelby CSX #694
Engine: 1987 2.2L
1/4: 14.737

minimopar has really helped outminimopar has really helped outminimopar has really helped out
Actually, the whole idea is this:

The donor car gets hooked to both battery terminals, so that it doesn't have to power the dead car through any of its harnesses. The dead car gets the + on the + batt terminal and the final connection is on the dead car's chassis or cylinder head. The reason for this is that the final connection always sparks and this way the sparks happen away from the battery where there might be hydrogen gas escaping from the battery vents. Also, the starter is grounded via the trans/block/head to the ground lug on the front of the head. If you ground the jumper right there, you are reducing the voltage drop to your starter as much as possible.

Also, alternators on modern cars have had the extra capacity designed out of them. That is why they generally take a beating when they are forced to recharge a completely dead battery. They also don't like to drive a starter on another car for that same reason. Lastly, when the dead car's starter is cranking, the donors alternator is going full-field, giving all it has. When the donor releases the key and the starter disengages, the sudden loss of the huge load and addition of the dead cars alternator output gives the donor car a huge voltage spike before the regulator can pull the field current down again. Electronics don't like that.

1986 Dodge Daytona TurboZ C/S - 11" brakes, '91 Interior, '87 electronics, Stock T1

1986 1987 Shelby CSX #694 - T2 rods, Venolias, custom 3bar cal
Old 04-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #12

Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 91 Spirit R/T
Engine: T3 POWWA!

Gumpus is keeping the peace
All my batteries are dual terminal. I have the car hooked up to the one set of terminals, and use the extra ones for doing jumpstarts. Hooking battery to battery directly has worked for me hundreds of times, and I have never fried a computer this way. I HAVE fried a computer by hooking cables up to the same terminals that the car electronics run off of though... I think hooking directly to the battery kinda buffers the voltage to help protect your computer. Another thing I have learned is never hook up the cables with the ignition turned on at the dead car, this also tends to fry computers.

Only time I ever melted anything was trying to jump in the dark without a flashlight and getting them backwards - it melted the terminals on the battery though, not the jumper cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.