What is the best forged piston and aftermarket rod ? - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Engine - Turbo & Block Modifications and upgrades to maximize your Dodges turbo output & Improving strength and durability - pistons to crank.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 04-21-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
TD New Guy

1/4: 0.000

What is the best forged piston and aftermarket rod ?

Looking to build a bottom end that is capable of 500 plus horsepower. What is the best after market piston and rod to use. I am going to use a forged 2.2 crankshaft to build a 2.2
I looked at the usual vendors. Of course they have different opinions. What is a proven combination. The car will be a street strip car. Hobby car not daily driver. I have experience with JE in V8's and like them. I have no experience with them in a turbo Dodge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Hybrid Booster

Re: What is the best forged piston and aftermarket rod ?

I think any of the forged pistons available are fine, Wiseco have very thin rings that are normally included.

Some are available with larger pins.

I think most aftermarket rods are actually for 2.4's and require 2.4 bearings.

The difference is small but the tangs are in a different spot to keep from using 2.2 bearings by mistake.

I don't think aftermarket rods are any better but that's just my opinion, and everyone has one of them!!

Thanks
Randy
post #3 of 24 Old 04-22-2017, 10:49 AM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

I have used both Wiseco and Venolia forged pistons. Both are high quality products. As mentioned above the Wiseco pistons use a different ring and the cylinder wall to piston clearance requirements are a little different. You can run the Wiseco piston a little tighter than the Venolia so they rattle a bit less when the engine is cold. I would say that warmed up performance is the same...at least to my ear it is.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-23-2017, 09:26 AM
TD Extreme User!

If I was going to make a 500hp, I'd use a cast 2.2L crack, stock TII rods, and whatever brand forged pistons. I would only use aftermarket rods if I to keep down the rotation mass.

I only made 290whp and trapped 110mph with no plan of making more as driving at the street even with 290whp is a handful without drag radial.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 PM
Hybrid Booster

Diamond, Ross, Venolia, JE, Wiseco, all make a good piston for our engines. IMO, Venolia pistons seem to be very old technology. While other piston manufacturers usually incorporate technology changes, their ring pack, design, might as well be from 1985 (lol). Robust, but heavy. JE's are almost always lighter than everyone else's. I have a set of JE's for a Masi 16V application. Asymmetrical design, very tight ring pack, very light, upgraded pin and rings were available options. They made me what I wanted, as opposed to making me something they thought would be best. Ross used to take FOREVER to make custom pistons so I gave up on them. I can't wait 6 months for a piston order, EVER! Diamond while nice, seem to have issues getting what you want. About half of all my Diamond piston orders either had to be remade or sent back and re-machined! Made correctly, they are very good too. My experience suggests operator error is a very real deal with Diamond. My opinion, JE's best bang for buck. Wiseco's use a ring design that locks you into using their rings. A very good piston though.

I differ from the others in that I won't use a late TI/TII/TIII/TIV rod unless I know it's history. I've seen to many TII rods that have been around the block one to many times. Spending $200+ resizing 30 year old rods, when you can get a NEW, stronger, lighter, better hardware, 4340 forged, CNC'd, perfectly balanced & weighted, better pin oiling, current technology rod for a bit more is money well spent in my book. Most of the H beam designs are around 100 grams lighter, yet stronger than a TII rod. Manley, Brian Crower, Eagle, K1, MAP performance, etc. all sell very nice rods with many options to fit many budgets. H beam, I beam, X beam, upgraded hardware, 7/16" rod hardware, are all options for these SRT4 rods. There also seems to be more bearing options for the SRT rods too. Most are import forgings, machined in US, but some are 100% North America product. The BC rods are my choice for best bang for buck. EVERY BC rod I've bought have been dead on as far as machining. They have at least three different offerings for SRT rods. The Sportman BC6169 being the cheapest.
INSATANSSEAT likes this.

Todd
post #6 of 24 Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: GLHS 958
Engine: 2.2 Turbo II

So will SRT4 rods work with a 2.2 crank with the right bearings?
post #7 of 24 Old 04-23-2017, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

the rods come in two configurations
one set used the neon bearings or whatever and the other set use a 2.2 bearing

check the listings on the fwd and tu sites

I somehow don't think brand name on the box means to much theses daysas it seems all the aftermarket rods look very much the same regardless of what they fit
post #8 of 24 Old 04-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
So will SRT4 rods work with a 2.2 crank with the right bearings?
The SRT rod uses a .866 pin. Stock 8V TD stuff is .901 pin. Cindy at FWD sells a BC rod but with a larger small end (.912 pin) to match her Venolia pistons. The .912 is a very common small block Ford pin. The 16V Masi uses a .866 pin, so the SRT rod is a direct bolt in for that application. If your ordering custom pistons it is an easy change to order pistons with .866 or whatever pin you want/need. The .866 pin is also a very common size pin. Aside from that, the center to center distance, big end, and rod width are all the same. So yes, the SRT rods fit the crank perfectly with of course the correct bearings. It is just the small end that is different.

Todd
post #9 of 24 Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
the rods come in two configurations
one set used the neon bearings or whatever and the other set use a 2.2 bearing

check the listings on the fwd and tu sites

I somehow don't think brand name on the box means to much theses daysas it seems all the aftermarket rods look very much the same regardless of what they fit
I understand what you are saying though, but those high end manufacturers (Palter, Cunningham, Oliver, Carillo, GRP, MAP, Manley, etc.) would cringe if they heard you say that (lol)! The MAP ultimate X beam rod are quite unique if you ask me. In fact, all those I just mentioned are pretty unique, along with being sort of spendy.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Boostaholic

I like seeing all the neat custom stuff that's been machined for these motors over the years. I saw there was a TIII crank available that holds up to 800 horsepower. Wasn't there a titanium crank available for a while? I can't remember who's site I saw it on.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 L-bodies View Post
I understand what you are saying though, but those high end manufacturers (Palter, Cunningham, Oliver, Carillo, GRP, MAP, Manley, etc.) would cringe if they heard you say that (lol)! The MAP ultimate X beam rod are quite unique if you ask me. In fact, all those I just mentioned are pretty unique, along with being sort of spendy.
yeah .. no , I was thinking I should have added that I was refering to the seemingly generic H beam rods everyone now has a box of with their logo on it

scat , .. eagle , .. my crower 2.2 rods , the stuff I looked at for my 383 and 460 projects .. all looks to be the same thing other than being made to the required sizes
even the small end bushings , and their instalation looks the same

and the lack of a no bushing option makes me think these are mass supplyed under various names
post #12 of 24 Old 04-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Hybrid Booster

As usual, Todd posts contain very good info.

Although stock rods are old they aren't really a failure point in my experience.

My experience doesn't come close to Todds so I take his info to the T-D bank!!

I don't think the T-III crank is any better but the Masi is fully counterweighted.

I'd love to try one of those but will probably never get the chance.

Any pics of one Todd??

Do they have the rolled radius that contributes our stock cranks strength?

Thanks
Randy
post #13 of 24 Old 04-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Boostaholic

Masi as in 16V Masi only? Or did they put a different crank in the TIIs that were in the 89s?
post #14 of 24 Old 04-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Hybrid Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSATANSSEAT View Post
Masi as in 16V Masi only? Or did they put a different crank in the TIIs that were in the 89s?
I run TII/TIII/TIV cranks in 16V Masi applications. Masi cranks are too heavy and they have an unusual rod journal diameter.
Randy here is a pic of the Masi crank & rods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	224378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1690.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	224386  
post #15 of 24 Old 04-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Boostaholic

Was the '89 Maserati TII equipped with the weird crank? Is that crank even forged?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page