Need advise 2.5 na common block in turbo app.. - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - Turbo & Block

Engine - Turbo & Block Modifications and upgrades to maximize your Dodges turbo output & Improving strength and durability - pistons to crank.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Need advise 2.5 na common block in turbo app..  
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 spirit es turbo
Engine: 2.5 turbo
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

87csx692 is keeping the peace
Ok,i have an 89 spirit es that someone put a 2.2 shortblock in after blowing up the 2.5..2.5 turbo motors are getting hard to find here in colorado so i was tossing around using a common block NA 2.5 shortblock in my car..obviously i have to drill the turbo drain line,but what other issues could i run into?i am going to use the turbo head etc,but i have seen people say that the rings could be an issue as well as the pistons and rods..i only plan to run about 10-12 psi thru an intercooler. any advise you guys can give me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Re: Need advise 2.5 na common block in turbo app..  
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Engine
Plymouth Voyager ,COMP 130 TOP TIMING COVER GONE DK0084 $350 Trade Center Auto Salvage, Inc. USA-CO(Delta) Request_Quote 800-868-8698 / 970-874-4806 Request_Insurance_Quote

Better to but this one.

N/A block is fine, crank is fine, but higher compression pistons and skinny rods. They'll break easily in a turbo application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Hybrid Booster

Vigo is keeping our cars running
Ive run up to 16psi on a tbi bottom end with a mitsu turbo and a shitty intercooler. Meaning HOT.

I think 12-13 psi with an intercooler is fine.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Boostaholic

My Ride: 89 spirit es turbo
Engine: 2.5 turbo

87csx692 is keeping the peace
tryingbe,that is a pretty good deal,sucks its on the other side of the state...may have to see about taking a road trip..

vigo,i would think the shortblock would live,especially since i am at almost 5000 ft elevation so the compression will be lower to start with.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 89 Voyager,91 Spirit
Engine: 2.5, 2.2 16v

SUNDANCE50 is keeping the peace
The trip across the mountains this time of year might be tricky
Ive talked with 87csx692 about this a bit, my question is If he put on a "G" head it will get the compression back why will this not work ? Car has mopar performance computer for 2.5 auto. ive read on here they need more fuel so that should help. also ive read they need alot of timing on a later turbo engine, im sure that has to do with killing the compression. ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.