89 block/tbi, what to do for turbo - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - Turbo & Block

Engine - Turbo & Block Modifications and upgrades to maximize your Dodges turbo output & Improving strength and durability - pistons to crank.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
89 block/tbi, what to do for turbo  
Garrett Booster

My Ride: 89 horizon
1/4: 0.000

89horizon89 is keeping the peace
I have a 89 horizon,2.2 tbi, and am wonder if/where i can get a hole drilled for a oil line for the turbo. and the 4th cylinder coolant mod.
im going to be building a turbo motor.fully built. H beams and 20over Venolia's, custom 2 pcs intake with "LENGELS" custom flange when available, either F.A.S.T or megasquirt , most likey a stage 2 or 3 head from forward motion, depending on room- SS tubular header, and every other toy to go along with big boost, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Re: 89 block/tbi, what to do for turbo  
Hybrid Booster

Induct: Turbo

4 L-bodies is keeping the peace
Oil line feed is just from distribution block off front of motor. If you are talking about oil return, then either a 43/64" hole needs to be drilled in the boss at the back of block, or a oil return line added to oil pan.
As far as 4th cylinder coolant mod, I don't understand your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 L-bodies View Post
Oil line feed is just from distribution block off front of motor. If you are talking about oil return, then either a 43/64" hole needs to be drilled in the boss at the back of block, or a oil return line added to oil pan.
As far as 4th cylinder coolant mod, I don't understand your question.
wheres the dis block at ? or whats it for ??
Old 12-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
at the front of the motor , above the front motor mount you will see a couple of do hickys screwed into a fitting that's threaded into the front of the motor
these are the oil pressure switch and oil press sender if you have an oil gauge in the cluster

a turbo motor has a longer fitting that allows room for both the oil senders and an extra hole to add an oil supply line that runs to the turbo bearing
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
I've done this conversion so I know what he's talking about. For the oil return you can read the message above and drill your own hole (I did this) or have the machine shop drill it for you. It's at aprox 45 degree angle to the block and you then can tap the new oil return tube into the block. The cooling holes are on the top of the block between the cylinders (cross drilled). Check the www.thedodgegarage.com for pics of the block as I don't recall if they're drilled on the front or the back side between the cylinders. You can use an old headgasket to get them started as a template. They too were drilled on an angle and I did these myself. If someone has a turbo common block sitting around they can measure the hold size for you (1/8" comes to mind) and I think again at a 45 degree angle. Good luck.
87 Daytona Shelby Z 2.5 T2-> cummins cooler, 3" exhaust, S60, forged venolias, Shel-game custom 3 bar cal 18 psi... ported +1 head Lookin to go low 13's.. extra lean - need a good tune and hopefully the new 4 puck holds up.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
at the front of the motor , above the front motor mount you will see a couple of do hickys screwed into a fitting that's threaded into the front of the motor
these are the oil pressure switch and oil press sender if you have an oil gauge in the cluster

a turbo motor has a longer fitting that allows room for both the oil senders and an extra hole to add an oil supply line that runs to the turbo bearing
alright thanks, i will have to check it out, havent looked lately.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Garrett Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawcislo View Post
I've done this conversion so I know what he's talking about. For the oil return you can read the message above and drill your own hole (I did this) or have the machine shop drill it for you. It's at aprox 45 degree angle to the block and you then can tap the new oil return tube into the block. The cooling holes are on the top of the block between the cylinders (cross drilled). Check the Donovan's Dodge Garage for pics of the block as I don't recall if they're drilled on the front or the back side between the cylinders. You can use an old headgasket to get them started as a template. They too were drilled on an angle and I did these myself. If someone has a turbo common block sitting around they can measure the hold size for you (1/8" comes to mind) and I think again at a 45 degree angle. Good luck.
drill the block for the oil return? cant you just weld a pung onto the oil pan and tap it for a drain back?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 87 Shelby daytona T2
Engine: 2.5 bored 0.20
1/4: 13.785

cawcislo is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89horizon89 View Post
drill the block for the oil return? cant you just weld a pung onto the oil pan and tap it for a drain back?
You can also do that.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Garrett Booster

Alright got it, thanks! the whole oiling thing got me a bit confused ,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.