Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge
+ ripping the dash out dosen't scare me like some people - done it enough times I can have it completely out of the car in 20-30 min - it is designed to go in & out rather easy
I actually need to rip the dash out anyway. The car sat in a field for a decade and some things don't work like they should. The cable that controls the heater door is rusted and doesn't move for one.
My plan for the car is as follows:
- Gut it out and redo the interior. Sound deadening across the floorpan. New carpet and upholstery.
- Modding the center console to remove the ashtray and replace it with a cupholder and accessory plug.
- Modding the dash to accept a double din sized DVD/Nav unit stereo.
- New boost gauge and EGT gauge where the navigator currently resides.
- Move Navigator below stereo.
- Considering a center console for the roof with digital temp/compass, but having a hard time locating one with the right profile.
- Body work is finished and paint will happen when the car is disassembled. Gunmetal gray with two six inch black racing stripes down the middle.
- Tinted windows.
- Considering a rear disc brake swap, but finding that info hard to find. Assuming it requires a donor vehicle, which are rare in junkyards these days.
- Working on plans to convert taillights to LED, but the shape of the '85 taillight assemblies makes me wonder if it's worth it.
Engine and Exhaust
- T2 swap, which is what this thread is for. Not interested in a 300 hp monster. Just want something quicker than a stock T1.
- Swap to roller cam, which I've been researching to find the best options.
- Other quality of life improvements that I've been reading about, but not yet sure they apply to me(PT Lifters, etc).
- 3 Inch exhaust with Cat removed. In my state(Washington), any car over 25 years old is exempt from emissions. It's now 28 years old.