Rear camshaft seal popped out of its seat, oil all over - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - Turbo & Block

Engine - Turbo & Block Modifications and upgrades to maximize your Dodges turbo output & Improving strength and durability - pistons to crank.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
Rear camshaft seal popped out of its seat, oil all over  
TD New Guy

My Ride: '89 Shadow 2.5 turbo
Engine: 2.5 4banger
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 59.999

Karsten is keeping the peace
On the way back home from work today I semelled the funny smell of burned oil. Being in stop & go traffic I suspected the old Yota in front of me burning oil, but as I left town and went on my way on the Autobahn the smell was still there and all of a sudden I could see smoke coming of the back of my car. As I stopped and checked under hood I saw the round seal on the rear of the cam had popped completely out of its seat and the oil spilled out there through the whole engine compartment. I managed to squeeze it back, fill up a quart and a half of oil and drove home.
Is this a common problem ? Pressure building up in the crankcase ? I had the turbo rarely producing boost, mostly in vac or 0 boost.
'89 2.5t Shadow, bone stock that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Re: Rear camshaft seal popped out of its seat, oil all over  
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2
1/4: 0.000

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
It does happen often enough that most of us have heard of this happening. The best way to repair that is to get a new seal/cap and install it using some loctite...not RTV. You should remove the valve cover, loosen the rear cam cap a few turns of the bolt, apply sealer to the rim of the seal/cap, insert and clamp it down to the proper torque.

This condition is sometimes a preamble to excessive blow by, often csaused by worn rings or maybe a broken piston/ring combo. Also confirm the PCV valve is actually working, not just that one is present...they stop up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
TD New Guy

My Ride: '89 Shadow 2.5 turbo
Engine: 2.5 4banger
1/4: 59.999

Karsten is keeping the peace
The rings should be ok with just 100k mls on them. I'll check the PCV valve and get a new seal as you suggested, though
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
BMW

My Ride: Tona VNT, Shadow ES
Engine: 2.2, 2.5

TurboDodge is keeping the peace
-Not discrediting ILIKESHELBYS response about using Loctite, just my 2 cents- I have never used the Loctite 518 method. If this issue has ever occurred with my vehicles or friends vehicles, the fix we have always used is install new seal and line the lip of the new seal with Permatex ultra grey RTV. That stuff holds well and there is no need to pull the valve cover and loosen the cam.

Last edited by TurboDodge; 01-24-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
"The rings should be ok with just 100k mls on them."

ROFLOL....and my engine has less than 3,000 miles on it and because I broke a ring with a less than durable vacuum line setup, she ran lean for just a split second at high boost....that was all it took. #1 cyl now has like 50lbs of pressure with the rest at 120 +/-.

My point is that mileage has little or nothing to do with current condition.

Good luck, I'll suggest a compression test (w/o oil in cyl first) then add oil to each cyl to help it seal and try again. If the numbers increase quite a bit you have a ring/piston clearance issue.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
NAJ
Just A Guy

My Ride: 1990 Daytona Shelby
Engine: 2.2 L VNT
1/4: 15.570

NAJ is keeping our cars runningNAJ is keeping our cars running
I am going to disagree with both of you on installation, not necessarily the reason the cam seal blew out but if OE I would go with age.
First..according to the FSM both cam seals need to be removed to properly install and torque the Cam.
When installing the rear cam seal or ANY seal you want to use a "Non-Hardening" sealer on the outer surface such as Permatex #2 or Permatax Aviation Cement, it will seal any imperfections between the seal and mating surface.

When my Rear Cam Seal blew out on my way to work(OE, seal was 17 years old, No Blowby, No PCV issues) I cleaned the area with Brake Cleaner(Fast Drying, No Residue)applied Permatex #2 and tapped the Rear Cam Seal in, that was 6 years ago.

Gasket Sealants : Permatex® Form-A-Gasket® No. 2 Sealant

Gasket Sealants : Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket® No. 3 Sealant Liquid

More Information for DNJ ENGINE COMPONENTS CS145D

35 Years ASE Certified
Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
BMW

My Ride: Tona VNT, Shadow ES
Engine: 2.2, 2.5

TurboDodge is keeping the peace
I always torque the cam before installing the seals. No need to disturb the valve cover or cam when replacing seals. The sealant used, if any, for the seal installation can be personal preference whether it is the FSM listed sealant(never a bad choice), or other(just don't use super glue people or other completely ridiculous chemicals). On the front cam seal, I don't use any RTV, just line the lip with a light coat of motor oil. For me, my method is tried and true. I have installed dozens of rear cam seals with ultra grey RTV, on rebuilt engines or high mileage engines. It keeps them in place and the old RTV is easy to clean off the next time you must perform a service that requires removal/install of that rear seal/cap. I suppose I could start buying Permatex #2 or Permatex Aviation Cement and those would work excellent. I just always keep ultra grey around my shop and I have never had a problem using it for this application. There are a couple different ways that you can do this and each method will work. Simple operation.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #8
TD Extreme User!

My Ride: 1989 Turbo Caravan
Engine: 2.5L TIII DOHC
1/4: 12.570

turbovanman is ready to make a name for oneself
Anerobic sealer, clean the area with brake cleaner, tap in place, done.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

"Anerobic sealer, clean the area with brake cleaner, tap in place, done."

+1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.