what is the best pistons and rods forged or no forged crank....88 csx-t T1 - Page 3 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - Turbo & Block

Engine - Turbo & Block Modifications and upgrades to maximize your Dodges turbo output & Improving strength and durability - pistons to crank.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #31
Re: what is the best pistons and rods forged or no forged crank....88 csx-t T1  
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
I think they are found in 87 and up t2+ engines, so no 2.5s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #32

My Ride: Chrysler ES
Engine: 2.5L intercooled

nvysion is keeping the peace
Thanks
Does that imply that biggest power is reached with the 2.2L engine ?
Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #33
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by barron View Post
where do i get them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Pistons Website
Please call us or email us for price quotations and recommendations for your application. We are more than happy to assist you in any way.

ROSS Racing Pistons
625 S. Douglas Street
El Segundo, CA 90245

Order Line
Tech Line
Fax Line

Email

sales@rosspistons.com

Order Catalog ››

Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 86 S/C
Engine: 2.2 8V
1/4: 10.040

Shadow is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
I would like to know if forged cranks were only found in the 2.2L TII CB engines.
So there are no 2.5L forged crank, right ?
Right, at least not found in a factory equipt 2.5 8v.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #35
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A

83scamp is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvysion View Post
I would like to know if forged cranks were only found in the 2.2L TII CB engines.
So there are no 2.5L forged crank, right ?
They did make non-common block forged cranks in the early 2.2 TII's, but those are even more rare.
No 2.5 forged crank from the factory.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #36
Level 2 Supporter

Engine: TII 2.2

going4speed is keeping the peace
87 and 88 non common block TII's had forged cranks right? What is the difference to the common block?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #37
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
crank snout is diff
same for the seal retainer &pulleys ......amoung other things

92-93 commonbloks are said to have the thickest webs at the mains

forged 2.2 and cast 2.5 cranks &the 92-3 blocks....I have read here...
are all good to 630 hp
cast crank is pretty ###strong too as they are noduler steel... not cast iron
Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #38
Dr Doom

My Ride: RUSTY DODGES &FORDS
Engine: 86 T1

Dr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars runningDr. Johny Dodge is keeping our cars running
crank snout is diff
same for the seal retainer &pulleys ......amoung other things

92-93 commonbloks are said to have the thickest webs at the mains

forged 2.2 and cast 2.5 cranks &the 92-3 blocks....I have read here...
are all good to 630 hp
cast crank is pretty ###strong too as they are noduler steel... not cast iron
Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #39

My Ride: 1988 Daytona CS
Engine: 2.2L Turbo I

Jakecs is ready to make a name for oneself
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitTurbo View Post
Not quite sure we are all on the same page here. People are saying that a stock T1 bottom end can handle 250hp has nothing to do with the block itself. Its about the pistons and rods. Our iron blocks are some of the strongest L4 blocks out there. They can handle far more power than you would ever want in a street car.
No, the non-common is often said to be good for only 250 horsepower because of flex at the mains. But I think thats a myth, as its become pretty clear that the level of horsepower they can handle is a lot higher than 250.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 86 S/C
Engine: 2.2 8V
1/4: 10.040

Shadow is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakecs View Post
No, the non-common is often said to be good for only 250 horsepower because of flex at the mains. But I think thats a myth, as its become pretty clear that the level of horsepower they can handle is a lot higher than 250.
Considering the Charger is around 550 to the wheels last time out, I would say it's deff a myth :)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #41
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
300hp is cake for any CB, 2.2 or 2.5 and any of the cranks as well. (unless your thinking of reving to 8000rpm, then you'd want the forged crank for sure :))

Wether you go with the stock Mahle's and just monitor your tune well or go Forged pistons is up to you and what your willing to spend for the piece of mind. As others have stated, I would stay away from any of the other "non-forged" A/M pistons.

Most failures have nothing to do with block limitations, usually bad tune, bad maintenance or just a not so well thought out build.
Yep. I've had cast pistons survive dozens of 1/8 mile passes at 28psi. The only time they broke was when I had serious engine malfunctions like leaving the boost controller off (oops) or the hep sensor or electrical system having big problems and cutting out fuel under boost (that was only 15 psi but it still cracked the piston..should have paid attention to the 30 minutes of backfiring lol).

My record for swapping a cracked piston for a new one is 16 hours. I'm sure some people on here can do it even faster than that, its really easy on the 2.5 CB in a 90 daytona, not sure about the other cars. If you are modifying your engine there is no excuse to be throwing forged pistons into the mix but simultaneously not knowing how to swap out a cracked piston yourself. I did the 16 hour swap when I was renting a room and had a single garage space to work in. Its doable even on the street if you have a plan.

I really dont understand the desire to modify old beat up cars like this for insane power but then live in fear that the engine will break and you'll have to shell out money to a mechanic. Doesn't that take all the fun out of this?

If you are counting on forged pistons to save your butt, you arent learning enough about how your engine works to be in control of the situation yet.

On the other hand, I only have one more 0.030" over mahle piston. Once thats gone, I might be forced to get forged pistons because thats all thats still for sale and oversize I think. Forged might be the way to go simply so you have a source for replacements if needed.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #42
TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 90 Daytona ES
Engine: 2.5 Turbo 1

acannell is keeping our cars running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Considering the Charger is around 550 to the wheels last time out, I would say it's deff a myth :)
lol!

I think the non-common block limit all started with GD's comments on his web page about it twisting...thats where I first got that idea 7 years ago anyways..
Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #43
TD New Guy

My Ride: 88 shelby CSX-T T1
Engine: T1

barron is keeping the peace
some of them im pretty sure...but not all
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2l 40 over

STLShelbyZ is ready to make a name for oneself
Quote:
Originally Posted by acannell View Post
If you are counting on forged pistons to save your butt, you arent learning enough about how your engine works to be in control of the situation yet.
Very true statement, with poor engine management, you can still melt a nice, shiny and expense forged piston.

As for your engine setup I think a cast crank, t2 rods and those wiesco's will do just fine for your goal.

FWDP Stage 5, 3 bar map sensor and a +40's (fuel injectors) will get you closer to your goal. ShelGame (boostbutton.com) does some pretty good calibrations and was also who I used for my calibration.

What are you doing for the top end? Head/cams/intake or exhaust?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #45
TD New Guy

My Ride: 88 shelby CSX-T T1
Engine: T1

barron is keeping the peace
I have a 2.5 swing valve to 2.5 down pipe to a 3in catback with a Turbonitics 63ar turbo... cam gear underdrive pully fadiza flywheel wideband i have a set of plus20s and 40s injectors and im geting ready to order a hole bunch of shit.....300 hp might be an understatement.....intake my weak point i think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.