what is the best pistons and rods forged or no forged crank....88 csx-t T1 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine - Turbo & Block

Engine - Turbo & Block Modifications and upgrades to maximize your Dodges turbo output & Improving strength and durability - pistons to crank.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
what is the best pistons and rods forged or no forged crank....88 csx-t T1  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 88 shelby CSX-T T1
Engine: T1
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

barron is keeping the peace
88 CSX-T going for 300hpplus and im getting ready to order part in two days. so i need info quick..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Re: what is the best pistons and rods forged or no forged crank....88 csx-t T1  
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
300hp, you can use stock pistons and rods.. Best is a matter of finances.. The average Joe would go with Eagle Rods and something like Venolia forged pistons. That'll take you up past the limit of the block, most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
TD New Guy

I dont think i belive the block limit stuff and if i do have to replace main every year or two. that not a big deal.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Una
Permanently banned

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Unlimited block. Mmmm, interesting concept. So you think 5,000hp is doable?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
TD New Guy

When did I say unlimided hp 300 hp is what is what dont you understand.. 300 is well the in limit and it will last...
Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
TD Extreme User!

tryingbe is keeping our cars running
www.fwdperformance.com
www.turbosunleashed.com

Check out what they have, call and verify when they can deliver and buy.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
I'll probably NEVER build another (turbo)engine with cast pistons as long as we can no longer get the heavy duty Mahle pistons...or a more suitable substitute. The current selections from Federal Mogul/Sealed Power (non-hyper) seem to be about as good a cast piston as is currently available but as I have personally discovered now twice, all it takes is 14 lbs of boost and about 1-2 seconds of detonation and they will bust. I practically baby my cars and it is a rare morning that I get on full boost, but the two times that I did and the tune was not spot on (in my case I had a vacuum harness leak under boost) it grenaded the motor.

So I'm going forged only because I'm tired of rebuilding engines and chasing down blocks, paying machine shop fees and crawling around on a concrete floor all the while building and R&Ring the engine again. In the long run, it would have cost less to go forged...or to keep it stock. At this point I would rather use a used set of Mahle's than a new set of anything less than a forged unit like a Venolia.

I have used them before and had no problems. The one thing that I didn't like about the forged piston was the brief warm-up period required before going for a drive. They clatter quite a bit till warmed up and that is a minute or two. After warm-up though you can't tell a difference. Depending on the alloy used and its corresponding coefficient of linear expansion (how much it expands or contracts when heated or cooled) the piston to cyl wall clearance varies so forged from one maker might require a different size hole than forged from another maker. In fact, your forged pistons should come with an applications sheet providing the proper size clearance for a proper fit. And you take the pistons, rings and the block to the machine shop at the same time. Also note most of the forged pistons for our engines come with a heavier duty and stronger wrist pin that may require replacement of the bushing in the small rod end...more machine shop work.

My $.02 worth.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: 86 S/C
Engine: 2.2 8V
1/4: 10.040

Shadow is keeping our cars running
300hp is cake for any CB, 2.2 or 2.5 and any of the cranks as well. (unless your thinking of reving to 8000rpm, then you'd want the forged crank for sure :))

Wether you go with the stock Mahle's and just monitor your tune well or go Forged pistons is up to you and what your willing to spend for the piece of mind. As others have stated, I would stay away from any of the other "non-forged" A/M pistons.

Most failures have nothing to do with block limitations, usually bad tune, bad maintenance or just a not so well thought out build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wambNdfnu5M
Manitoba's fastest 4cyl!
Worlds Fastest MTX Shelby Charger

Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: SC/GLHS(2)/CSX
Engine: 2.2

ILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars runningILIKESHELBYS is keeping our cars running
Apparently there are no longer any sources for new OEM Mahle turbo pistons. Intergalacticly sold out in all sizes. Somebody please chime in and prove me wrong!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1987 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2l 40 over

STLShelbyZ is ready to make a name for oneself
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Welcome to FWD Performance, Inc.
Turbos Unleashed

Check out what they have, call and verify when they can deliver and buy.
I recommend Chris at Turbosunleashed.com simply because how quickly he shipped my pistons out. I cheaped out and bought the cheapest shipping, and he was nice enough to get my pistons to me in 2-3 business days. Great customer service. I also chose TU because Chris has Wiesco pistons which I'm a fan of, that was my big reason really. Just my .02 cents on piston buying.

I've bought a couple times from fwdp too and had no issues.

But definitely call ahead of time, make sure the parts are stocked and if they are ready to go and be shipped right away, buy em! We only have a couple vendors and sometimes it takes a tad longer to get some parts so checking ahead of time and getting the facts instead of surprises later helps.

Last edited by STLShelbyZ; 04-09-2013 at 06:56 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
TD New Guy

No one has really told me which of the three piston manufacturers is the best plus what forged rods and do i need a forged crank...help I need someone that has used multiple manufacturers and why are the volinas so much cheaper than wisco and JE
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #12
Una
Permanently banned

Oh good grief. Which of the 3 forged pistons is best? Seriously? That's like asking the general public "Which truck is best, Ford, Dodge, or Chevy". Pick one, and you'll be fine. Several people have answered the forged crank question. You can't put forged pistons on rods that can't handle the 300hp goal you're looking at.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
The difference is that the Wiseco pistons are a little more daily-driver friendly, they are treated differently than the other pistons so they don't expand as much, therefore they don't slap around on cold-starts. Venolias on the other hand are more for track/strip cars, as the pistons expand more and require the car to be warmed up almost completely before you can go over certain RPM or you will have trouble. As for rods, if you can pick up a set of t2 rods, those are good for over 300hp. Forged rods (eagle/grp) are good for more power than our block can handle, so they would be fine. The forged pistons are all good for more power than the block can handle as well. I believe the max our blocks can handle is somewhere around 600-700hp. forged cranks are nice for high-rpm builds, and in general. If you can get one go for it, they are rare.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #14
TD New Guy

turbo unleashed...chris sead he has 9 of them don't know if there any good...and he was talking brand new...do you know were to get mopar performance main caps?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”

My Ride: 1985 Daytona
Engine: 2.2l

DetroitTurbo is keeping the peace
The stock caps are fine, just use ARP studs kit.

9 of what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.