Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Best recommended oil and air filters for Turbo

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  NAJ 
#1 ·
I Have a 1985 Dodge Charger Shelby 2.2 Turbo and need advice on best air filter to use with part#. Just got K&N PS-1002 oil filter of which Summit Racing lists as a 10 micron filter. They have a 33-2006 air filter but is it the best?,
Also, I need to add an intercooler to car since it doesn't have one. Who and where to get best deal with part#. I have several sites off Ebay and was told to use 2 1/2" system. What size heat cover for turbo-part#. I am new to turbos and have 2 books from SA-123 (JK Miller) and HP by Hugh MacInnes. Been in restoration business for over 50 years and still learning. Any help and good advice appreciated. Also own 6S 674 Hertz Shelby since 1977. I want to auto cross some with Dodge and see what happens. Previous owner installed lots of Direct Connections items on car already. Help needed. Take care GOD BLESS FORDMANTED@aol.com PS-Moved from Houston,Tx. to WI.

#2 ·
try googleing accel #72101

that's the discontinued accell power filter - it's 2 stage foam , needs oiled
put one in my car back in the day and instantly noted the throttle responce felt crisper

I've pulled many used K&N's at the wreakers and always noted the filter material was nonexistant at each fold in the K&N's more times that not

#4 ·
I run a factory replacement drop in K&N filter in my beater, while my turbo car gets a K&N cone filter. Oil is Mobil 1 5w30 High Mileage for both engines, with factory Mopar oil filters (the bigger size, MO090 also goes by P/N 0FE00292). Currently their filters are made by Wix, which in my opinion are good, high quality filters.

#5 ·
I read the "Oil Filters Revealed" article a while back and my first choice of an oil filter has always been Mobil 1 and recently the Bosch which are both made by the same company of Champion Labs. Purolator Pure One & ProLine (Pep Boys) are my second best choice for oil filters. IMO for construction, filter, and flow back to the pan.

#7 ·
HI-I tried to register 1985 Dodge Charger Shelby 2.2 Turbo but could not get past your patquestion or else I didn't know how. Thanks for all the info on filters. Tried to google Accel air filter but no luck. I'm not so sure about K&N since I agree-not much inside when taken apart. There kick is for engine to breath better with fresh air. Micron filtration is what I'm after

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.