How-to: Radio turnoff delay circuit - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
TurboDodge.com MarketPlace Shelby Registry Contact Us

Advertisement - Remove these ads today by clicking here.
Go Back   Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! > Turbo Dodge Technical Chat > Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios

Engine Management, Fuel, Spark, EGTs, and Air/Fuel Ratios This forum includes general electrical, modification, tuning, repair, replacement, identification and restoration of all components mentioned above including SMEC, SBEC, Logic Modules, aftermarket engine management, etc. Nitrous oxide posts go in here. This is the place

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
How-to: Radio turnoff delay circuit  
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
Ok. First I'll start with the reason you might want this circuit. Most modern American cars have a radio delayed turnoff feature. What it does is it keeps the radio on after you turn the car off. The radio stays on until the driver's door is opened. It's amazing how quickly you can come to expect this feature to be in all cars. It's also remarkably easy to add to any car, I have added it to at least 6 or 7 of my cars and past cars. The only cars I could see having a problem with this circuit would be positive door triggered cars, such as Ford's. But it's a small revision to get it to work with even them.
Anyways, let's go into an explanation of how this circuit works. Using two standard readily available Bosch style relays, once the ignition is turned on, one relay is put into a self-sustaining power loop, the other relay is just there to break the loop. A diode on the incoming accessory wire from the car keeps the power from backfeeding into the rest of the car (this would blow the accessory fuse, don't get any ideas). The accessory circuit also feeds the radio, so that opening the door with the car running does not kill the radio.
I appologize for the crudeness of my schematic, I'm far from being an artist. The funny looking loop of wire near the incoming constant 12v source wire is to let you know that those two wires are not connected. If you look at the bottom of a Bosch relay, the terminals should look the same and have the same numbering. You have to use SPDT relays, SPST relays commonly used for foglights will not work.
This circuit will work with the stock radio, I have it setup that way in my turbo Horizon. But I recommend doing it with an aftermarket deck and harness adapter, it's easier if your not chopping into the factory wires and trying to figure out which is constant and which is switched.
As for getting ONLY the drivers door, not the passenger door(s), you'll need to pull the kickpanel on the driver's side, pull the door pin, and find the wire coming off of it going to the dome light. (It's yellow on our TD's) Find the wire in an easily accessible place, and cut it. This will kill your dome light. Worry not. You need a 3amp or larger diode, Radio Shack or some other electronics store will have them. You want to put the diode in that wire where you just cut it, the diode will have a white stripe on one end, you want that stripe on the doorpin side of that wire. You also want the wire going to your radio circuit on that side of the diode. Hook the other side of the diode to the dome light side of the yellow wire you cut originally. This will keep your dome light working, and keep your passenger getting out from killing your radio. :)
I assume there will be many questions, feel free to PM me. Please leave me some positive feedback if you find this helpful. :)
<---------Feedback button.

Last edited by onerippinturbo2; 09-11-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share on facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2005, 07:27 PM   #2

TD Hardcore User!

My Ride: 92 Iroc R/T Red
Engine: TIII

charger R/T is keeping our cars running
don't worry dude I was one of the first views and copied it. I have plans for it. It may come in handy with my home made shut down systems on some diesels at work. I also may use it when I hard wire my xm to shut off when I get out of my van. Thanks
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #3

Boostaholic

My Ride: 1990 Spirit
Engine: 2.5 T1

90Acclaim is keeping the peace
I like this info alot.... probably do this in my show-car (85 Monte Carlo)
Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #4

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 87 Shelby Z
Engine: 2.2 TII
1/4: 15.200

bfarroo is keeping the peace
Planning on a similar circuit for my 88 Shelby Z TI When I swap in a 91 413 with lockup. I'm just planning on using the brake circuit to disengage the relay for the lockup. That way you can get going down the road and hit a button to engage the lockup. Once you hit the brake it interupts the circuit and unlock the TC. Should be simple enough although by thretening to change the trans in the 88 it started shifting perfectly. I swear TD's have ears!

Benji Farr
Green Bay WI
87 Shelby Z TII 15.2 @ 90.7
88 Shelby Z TI 2.2 auto
91 Shelby TI 2.5 5spd
http://bfarroo.tripod.com
http://www.extremepsi.org
88 Shelby Z TI auto
88 Shelby Z TII Parts Car
http://bfarroo.tripod.com
Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
redraw  
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1988 Grand Caravan
Engine: V6 3.0L
Induct: N/A
1/4: 18.200

EagleGcIL is keeping the peace
i took it on myself to redraw the scematics you drew by hand... sorry if it offends you, i installed the mod on my 88 grand caravan with a Pioneer Sterio and it works great...

Last edited by onerippinturbo2; 09-11-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Old 12-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #6

TD New Guy

My Ride: 1988 Grand Caravan
Engine: V6 3.0L
1/4: 18.200

EagleGcIL is keeping the peace
If you want a copy of the schematics i drew up, let me know, i'll email you them.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #7

Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: Daytona ES
Engine: 2.4L DOHC

jonnymopar is keeping the peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Una
Most modern American cars have a radio delayed turnoff feature.
HA! Not when you have a NEON!!

Thanks for this info. I'll have to try this. I'm with whoever said the thing about the power windows too!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #8

Hybrid Booster

My Ride: 1987 shelby charger
Engine: 2.2 t1/t2 conversion
1/4: 13.550

eef mcglikn is keeping our cars running
what a great idea........as soon as i get my tail lights working i will try this :(

dan
Old 10-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Re: How-to: Radio turnoff delay circuit  
TD New Guy

My Ride: '01 Nissan Sentra XE

dodgeballer is keeping the peace
The redraw helps a lot... this is pretty smart stuff...
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Garrett Booster

My Ride: Dodge Daytoa
Engine: 2.2 Turbo

Turbo_Z is keeping the peace
i dont get the numbers on the schematic
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Z View Post
i dont get the numbers on the schematic
when bosch designed this relay they assigned all the terminals a number for there use. These numbers stuck and all manufactures of this style relay use the same numbers on there relay. It is a basic 5 pin relay. If you go and look for one ask for a fuel pump relay for a 92 ford crown vic. The relay should have these number at the terminals on the relay
Tim
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
Una
Permanently banned

My Ride: '84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.5L

Una is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better placeUna is making this site a better place
They should just have "standard Bosch relays" on the shelf at any autoparts store. You can get the diodes at RadioShack.. I love that my writeup on this from 7 years ago is still helping people out. :)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
TD Hardcore User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Una View Post
They should just have "standard Bosch relays" on the shelf at any autoparts store. You can get the diodes at RadioShack.. I love that my writeup on this from 7 years ago is still helping people out. :)
I think it got renewed interest because of this recent thread.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...g-daytona.html
I used it a couple of years ago in a few new K9 cars we were putting in service. We installed a hot dog box that monitors the temp in the dogs back seat. If temp gets above set temp the unit opens both rear windows and pulses the horn to alert the deputy. The department also wanted a fan mounted to the cage at the window to come on. This was not a feature of the unit. They also don't like cutting into OEM circuits even a horn circuit. So I used the wire that pulses the horn (1 sec on 1 sec off) to start this circuit. It turns on the fan and we used a truck back up beeper instead of the pulsing horn. We wired in a momentary toggle switch that has to be used to shut the beeper off and shut down the fan.
Tim
94 Chrysler LeBaron Convertable GTC
92 Plymouth Voyager LE
94 Chrysler Town & Country
66 Dodge Dart GT 273 (needs restored but runs)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
Das Beste Oder Nichts

My Ride: 92 Daytona
Engine: 2.5L T1

92TurboTona is ready to make a name for oneself
this is on the list to do to my daytona once i start some wiring
Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #15
Garrett Booster

My Ride: Dodge Daytoa
Engine: 2.2 Turbo

Turbo_Z is keeping the peace
can anybody take pictures of the job being done....i have a hard time reading these schematics and seeing it get done or seeing it completed would help out a lot....thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.